Thread: Joes CNC Model 2006 R-1

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

thank you very much

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just got 4 sheets of 5' x 6' x 1" HDPE Thought i might make a call out for anyone who lived in or around Houston that mimght be willing to machine my parts for me? I'm willing to drive pretty far. (thought i might ask Joe also if he is willing, i will come to San Antonio.)

Downloads
    Uploads

Are you planning on changing the drawings to allow for the 1" HDPE and using all HDPE with no MDF?

Joe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by joe2000che View Post
    Are you planning on changing the drawings to allow for the 1" HDPE and using all HDPE with no MDF?

Joe
    First off,

I hadnt thought about the need to change the drawings for reasons other than where the thickness would matter for things like bolt length. Of Lead Screw Length. My problem is that i do most of my designing in Google Sketchup. I don't think thos files can go back to a dwg without the pro version.

I'm learning Alibre Design at the moment. Figured, Its Free, and i feel able to use it for my needs.

I think i detect something i have no idea about. What kind of changes might i need to make for the plan considering it was not made, at all, from MDF?

What are the changes i would need to make?

If someone poitned them out, i would change the models to accomidate and bring those files with me. There is one thing i do know. Some of the parts i think i cannot do with 1" stuff. Specifically, the Rail Adjustment Blocks. i think we are making those now from 1/2"?

Any pointers from anyone? Too bad there isnt an easy way to have the plans adjust for different thicknesses of material.

Downloads
    Uploads

The torsion Boxes at the slide fit will need to be adjusted for width.

The Only 1/2" HDPE are the Motor mounts and the Z-Axis Anti-Backlash nut stairs (supports).

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Joe,

Do you think i will have enough with the amount of material i have?

3 sheets that are 1" x 5' x 6'

and 1 that is 1" x 5' x 3'

Also,

If i change the plans what are the chances i can bring the material over to you?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Any reason why you're making it out of hdpe (all of it)? MDF is cheap, that hdpe must have cost you some nice $$.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bp092 View Post
    Any reason why you're making it out of hdpe (all of it)? MDF is cheap, that hdpe must have cost you some nice $$.
    Not a cent. I got all the material for Free!!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's sweet, how did you score all of that?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bp092 View Post
    That's sweet, how did you score all of that?
    Just so everyone knows how i got this material. To put it simply, i called the City Manager (my city is pop. 130,000) and asked them if they might help me talk to whoever woul;d know about all the RENOVATIONS in the city. I needed renovations because HDPE is often used as Lavatorie Partitions, so if a renovation was happening, then the bathrooms might be updated aswell, and all those old partitions would be tossed out. If i could find whoever it was who was general contractor for some of these jobs, or any particular job i might be able to get some of that old material. Here is the trick, Municipalities often cannot give items away ,even trash, because they were purchased with Tax Dollars. Often they will have auctions. In the case of the HDPE or UHMW-PE you would wanna talk to the contractor working any particularrenovation. Also, Cities often do allot of renovations to parks and what not, so make sure your contacting the contractor of a building renovation. If your lucky youll have a contractor who couldnt part with tossing so much good looking plastic and will tell you "Sure, i have some of that, Its behind my shop, just go and pick it up."

When he said "some" what he ment was 4 or 5 sheets that are 6' by 4' by 1" THats WAY more than i need. The great thing, though, is that its Free. Thats, by my rough guess, about $2000 in plastic. I'm gonna go pick it up tonight, or tommorow afternoon.

this is a quote from another forum i post in often.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If I were you I'd sell it, ebay it, whatever. Not sure the modifications would be worth it, a lot of extra work. Use that cash to purchase a kit from joe. Heck of a lot easier . But that's just me.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All, discovered cnczone last week (thanks crocky) and its totally blown me away. After spending 20 hours reading various posts I have decided to start thinking about actually building my own machine.

Being a total newbie I have some pretty basic questions, I am not sure where to post them so forgive me if this is the wrong spot.

So far I'd like to build one of joes2006 routers, for the electronics I was going to use one of the Xylotex 3 axis kits and mach3 to process the g-code.

My questions are, are there any benefits in going for a 4 axis controller? What software (CAD??) should I be looking at to create the g-code from my drawings?

Thanks
    joez71

Downloads
    Uploads

alot of people use the 4th axis for an indexer, or just an extra driver incase something happens to one chip.

Not sure if this is a pattern or not but i have noticed with the Bi-polar driver people get some resonance, and i have it also with my bi-polar drivers, but with a uni-polar driver i have not heard or seen anyone having this problem with it before.Joe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Joe, I was wondering I noticed that some people here asked you the question how much you would charge to cut the parts and ship them. I would be interested to know if you don't mind.
    cdl1701@yahoo.com

Downloads
    Uploads

message sent

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Can I get that price as well Joe?

Thanks

Craig

ankh1269@hotmail.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Joe,

I've just spent the last 2 days looking for information on your kit and have ended up here. If this is the right spot, can you send me a quote?

Bob Hayes

robert180@centurytel.net

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Joe,
    I've also been looking for your kit. It looks like a very solid machine, nice job.
    I would like to build one for myself but I have no way of making the pieces so uniform. This is just what I need to build all my little projects. Would you email me a price and guess of how long it would take to get.
    It would be much appreciated.

Thanks Nick.

nsadesign@hotmail.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi joe,

I'm also intrested in your kit , could you mail me the price en the estimated time i need to wait?

Thanks Robrecht
    Robrecht@krewten.be

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Downloaded your information on your CNC Model 2006 R-1, also the viewer;
    however, I could only view some of the files. Looks very good to me, but I
    couldn"t build one with just pctures. I am new to all of this and got interested because of a project I was thinking about doing. It would be necessary to have someone with a CNC router to cut the pieces for me. When I started looking for someone, it occured to me that it would be nice if I could do the work myself...and that's how I ended up here. The more I read the more interested I get. If I did build your CNC I would probably need a book for CNC dummies to get it all going. Is there some way I could view
    all the files I downloaded? Then I could go from there in making a more practical solution: to buy or to build. Thank you.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast