Joes CNC Model 2006 R-1 - Page 4

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Joes CNC Model 2006 R-1

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So, I'm looking at all the step files, and wondering, what materials would be optimal for the parts? What parts do you guys (and/or gals) use MDF for, plastic, etc? If you had access to a good metalworker, where would you use aluminum? Just figuring out what I'm going to use and where.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well it's basically like this. We use mdf as much as possible in the machine and HDPE for anything that comes in contact with much of the glides and lead screw assemblies.

The router holder, motor mounts, gantry adjustment box in the carriage and on the gantry side are hdpe, and all of the bearing and acme nut holders or blocks whatever you want to call them are hdpe as well. This machine was designed for MDF but I'm sure it could be somehow modified as an aluminum machine. In fact I wouldn't mind seeing it for myself . It is more of a hybrid machine than anything. There is an even distribution of both metal and plastic and mdf in the machine making it rock hard, solid and durable.

But if we're talking about weight, yeah if you dump all that MDF for aluminum the only thing you're going to gain is price, but you will lose a significant amount of weight. I just like the idea that it's mdf because I'm a woodworker, and I can modify it and work with it, and most of all build it with woodworking tools.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Next questions:

What size 90 degree aluminum is used on the bearing slides?

What exact model router will fit in the holder as designed. I already have 2 routers, so I may modify the design to use one of these, but I'm still curious what the "standard" is.

What motors are used on the axis'. I assume the stronger the better, and I may not use the exact motors reccommended, but still, what is the "standard"?

And lastly (for today...) I have a friend who uses cut3D by Vectric (vectric.com) on his CNC router (a commercially bought full sheet router) Does anyone here have any experience with this software? Would I need any other software to integrate the router to the computer? I am not a "computer guy" but I have friends who are, and are willing to help me connect the machine to the computer.

I'm sure I'll need to know more later, but that should do for now.

Thanks to everyone so far,
    Rick

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rponton View Post
    Next questions:

What size 90 degree aluminum is used on the bearing slides?

What exact model router will fit in the holder as designed. I already have 2 routers, so I may modify the design to use one of these, but I'm still curious what the "standard" is.

What motors are used on the axis'. I assume the stronger the better, and I may not use the exact motors reccommended, but still, what is the "standard"?

And lastly (for today...) I have a friend who uses cut3D by Vectric (vectric.com) on his CNC router (a commercially bought full sheet router) Does anyone here have any experience with this software? Would I need any other software to integrate the router to the computer? I am not a "computer guy" but I have friends who are, and are willing to help me connect the machine to the computer.

I'm sure I'll need to know more later, but that should do for now.

Thanks to everyone so far,
    Rick
    1-1/4 X 1/8 angle. I used steel though on mine. A little bit stronger and actually cuts easier.

Hitachi variable speed. I think most of the hitachi's use the same housing. So anything with a 3" diameter housing would work. I adapted the holder for my 3.25 in diameter Bosch, then cut out a temporary set in wood to use so that I can cut the permanent set out of HDPE.

A number of folks that I know of used the 290 (or so) in-oz motors (hobbycnc stuff). I, (and CNCJay also) have 665 in-oz on our machines.

I think you will find most people out here using Mach3 (artofcnc.ca). Mach3 has a free trial, unlimited term of use but restricted to cutting only the first 1000 lines of code. It's relatively inexpensive and very good. There is also EMC2 for Linux (linuxCNC.org) which is free and probably just as good, but a little more involved to set up. I read somewhere that EMC2 was designed for Sherline, but I can't remember where.

Have you thought about CAD and CAM systems too?

Now after all this I know I've said something wrong and Joe will have to correct me again

If you cut it to small you can always nail another piece on the end, but if you cut it to big... then what the hell you gonna do?

Steven

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So, I'm looking over materials and such. I've decided that for this build I'm going to stick with the exact materials discussed, then at some future point I may make a new one with some different materials.

For this build, does this sound about right:
    1 ea. 48"X48" sheet of 1/4" MDF
    2 ea. 48"X96" sheets of 1/2" MDF
    1 ea. 48"X48" sheet of 3/4" MDF
    1 ea. 12"X12" sheet of 1/2" HDPE
    1 ea. 24"X24" sheet of 3/4" HDPE

These are aproximate and in some cases (like the 1/2" MDF) leave considerable excess.

Does this look about right?

Last edited by rponton; 03-20-2007 at 08:33 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello Joe, GREAT looking machine. Is it possible to get the drawings in DXF format instead of DWG? I use Autocad 14 and the DWG files are made with what it says is a newer version.

I would love to be able to just buy a kit from you to be able to give back to you the great contribution you have gave to this community, but the wife would kill me for spending to much on this project of mine. But where I work I have everything I need to build this machine. We have all the materials and seeing how I program and operate a commercial size CNC Router ( Busellato Jet 4000 ) I can find the time on my lunch breaks to make the parts for myself.

Here is my email addy if you can make these in DXF.

Andrew
    yohan78@gmail.com

Downloads
    Uploads

I really do not have the time to make the dxf files right now for all the parts, if you download a free cad program, i'm sure they will read newer acad files than rel. 12. even if you just use the program to export it out to dxf should work for you.

Joe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank You!!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Joe, I am very impressed with your machine design. Thanks for sharing it with us. I am still in the stage where I am assembling my machine on the computer screen, but that has raised a few questions in my mind.

When you sandwich two nearly identical pieces together, such as the gantry side pieces or the end supports, do you glue them together or bolt them together?

The U-bolts on the Z- carriage are 5/16" with a 2" wide opening. That means the centerlines of the threaded sections are 2 5/16" apart. They fit into holes that are 2 1/4" apart on the Z-Axis Bearing Block and 2 1/2" apart on the Router Holder Rear Plate. Is this difference intentional or an error? What are the benefits or problems of the difference?

When you install the leadscrews and double-nut the motor end of each leadscrew, do you use LockTite or some other thread locker to help hold the acme nuts in position on the leadscrew? Do you install a flat washer between the acme nuts and the bearings to ensure that the nuts press against the inner race of the bearings?

Thanks for the information, whether it comes from Joe or another builder. I am catching up on my other projects and hope to start building my CNC system soon.

Bob

Downloads
    Uploads

the gantry side pieces, and the router x-axis end pieces are glued together i use Bolts to apply pressure while glueing these.

the u bolts i used are slightly larger than the designed holes because thats what is readily available to everyone and i stood them on the side and used a hammed and strike it at the p.c. (Point of curvature) to make the bolt narrower, then spread the threaded area back out to proper width, this will need to be repeated until desired results.

the double nuts will lock against eachother and i have not used and washers or tocktight on them, they sit onto the center race of the bearing.

hope that helps

Joe

Edited the word bolts for those who needed it.

Last edited by joecnc2006; 04-21-2007 at 06:35 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I wish I had a couple of those dolts to help me out every now and again!

Quote Originally Posted by joe2000che View Post
    i use dolts to apply pressure while glueing these.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default E-drawing for Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by joe2000che View Post
    Joe,
    Is there a URL for E-drawing that will run under Linux?
    Thanks for your time.
    William

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MrUmunhum View Post
    Joe,
    Is there a URL for E-drawing that will run under Linux?
    Thanks for your time.
    William

Sorry do not think there is such an animal.

here are the requirements from their site.

Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional, Windows® 2000, Windows NT® 4.0 with Service Pack 6 or later, Windows Me, Windows 98 2nd Edition

Downloads
    Uploads

Solidworks, which I think also makes e-drawings (at least it came with my SW disk) refuses to do a linux compatible program. Not enough market share they say.

However it's hard to figure out just what market share means with linux since it is free and by definition has no market share at all.

If you cut it to small you can always nail another piece on the end, but if you cut it to big... then what the hell you gonna do?

Steven

Downloads
    Uploads

Depends on your industry standard, such as us, The AutoDesk Civil3D Design, which is 7,500.00 a seat and yearly service agreements, 500.00 each, does not provide any linux based software. And when all our other software we use are windows based, (all hydrology software etc.) needs to be acad civil3D compatable, so No way would we ever go with linux. When you are insustry dependant you have no choice. No choice meaning contract you get HAVE to be compatable with clients request.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Industry compliance

I do remember the days when Adobe only made Photoshop and Illustrator for the Mac OS. The printing Industry has slowly changed over to PC, but many, many die hards still only support macs in their shops. I hope we see some of the major software companies start to realize that Linux could be a viable market in the future.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewN View Post
    Hello Joe, GREAT looking machine. Is it possible to get the drawings in DXF format instead of DWG? I use Autocad 14 and the DWG files are made with what it says is a newer version.
    http://www.dwggateway.com/
    A very handy program from Solidworks that makes AutoCAD forward compatible. Now if they'd only make their OWN software do that....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You may want to check out http://www.blender.org/features-gallery/features/
    It's an open source cad program for all major OS's. I haven't used it yet, but the next time I have more than 3 minutes free I definately will.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

thankz thats really good

Downloads
    Uploads

There is a version of e-Drawing that runs on the Mac OSX.

Alan

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast