Joe's CNC Model 2006

Page 1 of 88 12341151 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe's CNC Model 2006

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Joe's CNC Model 2006

I was busy the last couple days, drawing a new CNC, I have thought about what the flaws were on a Diy Pipe rail system most of us build in wood/MDF.

I will be using a torsion box system, and also nave a new twist, by adding an extra Pipe rail on the long Axis. I think this will help alot on the twisting and rocking of the Gantry.

Here are pictures of my drawings.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Joe's CNC Model 2006-joes-cnc-model-2007-jpg   Joe's CNC Model 2006-joes-cnc-model-2007a-jpg   Joe's CNC Model 2006-joes-cnc-model-2007b-jpg  
    Last edited by ger21; 01-03-2006 at 11:29 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice Joe!

I had wondered about using dual pipes as well. When are you going to build it? I can't wait to see how the dual pipe setup works out for you.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have already started Cutting the Gantry Ribs, I will post as mant picstures as I can as it comes together, I'm Hopping to have it By the end of this Year and ready for 2006, Hence the name Model 2006.

Joe

Last edited by ger21; 01-03-2006 at 11:29 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

What are the overall dimensions and the cutting area going to be?

Last edited by ger21; 01-03-2006 at 11:30 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice looking drawings Joe.

That is an interesting idea about the dual rail. Might be a bugger to align although. Since the pipes are fixed, how do you get all eight bearings per rail to touch the pipes? I guess the answer is measure twice, cut once.

Steve

Edit: I just noticed that you do not have any cross bracing inside your big box. I hope this is just a drawing feature.

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks good Joe. What program did you use to draw it with?

Downloads
    Uploads

Everything will be cut on the CNC, And then when I finish it I will Level the Top cutting surface with a wide Bit, Mill it to the machine, this is the best way I can think of for this type of machine to be perfect Level with itself.

I have 4 1/4" drill holes on each side of the bottom cross pieces, I will either run a threaded rod through it all the way placing nuts and washers along the way which will take a while for two rods on the sides, or i will add cross pieces stagered the length of the machine and then final two holes on each side will be bolted to the front and rear plates. ( i designed it with all the holes to allow for this. Also the whole machine will be mostly bolted with very little MDF drilled and tapped.

thanks, Joe

Quote Originally Posted by spalm
    Nice looking drawings Joe.

That is an interesting idea about the dual rail. Might be a bugger to align although. Since the pipes are fixed, how do you get all eight bearings per rail to touch the pipes? I guess the answer is measure twice, cut once.

Steve

Edit: I just noticed that you do not have any cross bracing inside your big box. I hope this is just a drawing feature.

Downloads
    Uploads

1st set of parts cutout, the Gantry Rib section.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Joe's CNC Model 2006-gantry-ribs-1-jpg   Joe's CNC Model 2006-gantry-ribs-2-jpg   Joe's CNC Model 2006-gantry-ribs-3-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

All of a sudden I see the need to rethink the design I was going to use.

I was initially plann1ng 8020 stock for the x and y rails. Carlnpa has had good results with the 8020. The x rail was going to be a double rail with a wood stiffener like joes (which I actually saw someone esle do that same thing on their machine out here), the y was going to be attached to a plywood bottom with a 1" tube steel subframe. Kind of like the old steel legged butcherblock coffee table an old girlfriend of mine used to have. (This was back in the 80's when that coffee table design was popular). But I think joes would be easier in the long run and probably more stable than mine too.

might be even stiffer with 1" drill rod rather than the pipe. But that would really add to the cost and weight big time.

Excellent design work. Thanks for the great ideas Joe.

An idea i I have been kicking around though that might add more stiffness to it is; run a hole and small bolt through the black pipe directly in between where the skate bearings track and into the ribs. You have to be careful to make sure the skate bearings don't catch on the bolt. This may lock the whole thing together tighter.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CNCRob
    Looks good Joe. What program did you use to draw it with?
    thanks, I used Solidworks, have it on my laptop from work.

Joe

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mvaughn
    At the rate you built your other machine I think you should call it Model 2006.

What are the overall dimensions and the cutting area going to be?
    Working it out in cadd it is 49.5" x 25.5" x 6.25" so lets say 49x25x6...

Yes it is going together alot fasted that i thought, and also i should have my Acme 1/2-10 leadscrews, 1/2-10 nuts, and 3/4" Z axis drill rod shafts on monday, I have already recieved my 1/2" bearings....

Joe

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks awesome Joe. I can't wait to see your table. That thing should be nice and stiff.

Andy
    CNC Kits - http://www.comptonsoft.com/cncweb/

Downloads
    Uploads

Joe,

At the rate your going, maybe you should have named it "CNC Model 2006". It looks great so far.

Alan

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by acondit
    Joe,

At the rate your going, maybe you should have named it "CNC Model 2006". It looks great so far.

Alan
    Well Hope to get it finished real soon....

Downloads
    Uploads

Gantry Upper Torsion Box...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Joe's CNC Model 2006-gantry-top-torsion-box-1-jpg   Joe's CNC Model 2006-gantry-top-torsion-box-2-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Motor and Leadscrew Bearing Mounting plates, which will hold the Pipe rails also...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Joe's CNC Model 2006-motor-leadscrew-mount-plates-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Gantry Lower Torsion Box and Gantry Rt Side.....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Joe's CNC Model 2006-gantry-lower-torsion-box-jpg   Joe's CNC Model 2006-gantry-rt-side-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Joe,

while you posting can you throw out some of the dimensions your using, like pipe spacing for the long y-axis runs. Any other dimensions would be great too. What would really be great if it wouldn't be to much trouble would be to post your drawings for the pieces as you build them like the gantry rib parts etc.

I'm thinking of trying to build the same type of machine as you go along. The main difference is that I'm looking at a 31 x x48 cutting area, and I'm going with plywood which I think would be a bit stronger in the long run.

Thanks
    Steven

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sdantonio
    Joe,

while you posting can you throw out some of the dimensions your using, like pipe spacing for the long y-axis runs. Any other dimensions would be great too. What would really be great if it wouldn't be to much trouble would be to post your drawings for the pieces as you build them like the gantry rib parts etc.

I'm thinking of trying to build the same type of machine as you go along. The main difference is that I'm looking at a 31 x x48 cutting area, and I'm going with plywood which I think would be a bit stronger in the long run.

Thanks
    Steven
    This machine is using the 1" x 60" Gas Pipe (Y Axis) 4"o.c., 3/4" x 36" Gaspipes (you could just extend it out the 12" width on the X Axis But Will add more weight, just add another motor and slave it on the Y-Axis to move the gantry.

Which Gives me an Idea and Possibly a question to pose can you slave two motors, such as Y-Axis and another A-Axis and place them on each end of one Lead screw But Just Reverse the A-Axis Motor I would think this would double your torge???

Joe

Downloads
    Uploads

I had already recieved my 1/2" inside dia. bearings for the acme 1/2-10 leadscrews i ordered. (you could use 1/2"-13 standard thread also but I want to maximize speed), So i drew up a Leadscrew Bearing Support which has same bolt pattern as the Nema 23 motors.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Joe's CNC Model 2006-0-5in-bearing-support-jpg  

Page 1 of 88 12341151 ... LastLast