New JGRO build

Thread: New JGRO build

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default New JGRO build

And so it begins. After what seems like forever I have finally started my build. This is a father/son effort and due to an impending plant turn around beginning mid February my updates might be sparse at first but should pick up near the end of April. I have been gathering parts here and there and began fabrication Saturday. I got the lead screws cut to length, and the X axis pipe cut to length, along with the linear bearing aluminum angles. Marked up the hole positions on the aluminum angles and began filing the notches. I was using a small 10" file and I've got to say I only managed to complete two of the 6 angles. I ordered a Nicholson aluminum file from Amazon which hopefully shows up Tuesday. I am modifying my JGRO to have 1-1/2" Y axis rails and 1" X axis rails. This decision was based on many posts that complain of deflection on those two rails. Using a web based calculator the 1-1/2" gas pipe will be around 300% stiffer compared to a 1" gas pipe. The main reason I decided to go with the 1-1/2" pipe for the Y rail was based on a post by JGRO here:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/jgro-r...html#post63760

He states that he first tried 3/4" pipe and that didn't work so he switched to 1-1/2". In order to accomplish this mod I had to update detail drawings 01, 02, 07, 16, 17, and 26. Other changes I'm making are 1/2-10 5 start acme rod, and HDPE adjustment blocks.

Steve