DeadTom's JGRO machine

Thread: DeadTom's JGRO machine

Downloads
    Uploads

Default DeadTom's JGRO machine

I have just completed the gantry and the driver box. I have slightly modified the backlash nuts to accomodate the 5/8-11 threaded rod, kind of large but we shall see. In retrospect I should have ordered the acme rod from Enco, they are only 45 miles from my house.
    I plan on modifiying the base to make it easier on me, I have limited building time and try to make it work for me.
    The driver box (electronics) is made up from the HobbyCNC 4 axis kit, I used all the stuff that Dave R. recommends such as the transformer and the PacTec plastic box. Since I have self disqualified myself as a soldering expert on pcbs I had Mike Beck at mikebeck.org build the board so I could start on the machine. I started collecting the parts and cutting the mdf about a month and a half ago. When I get to build I go furiously and then that 4 letter word interupts....work!
    Anyways, I will try to remember some pics tonight and post them.
    I am very strong in CAD and can convert the drawings to dxf but I do not know how to tackle the gcode/mcode. Where or what do I need to do with the dxf files? I know they need to be converted and have tried the ACE converter but they don't look right. Maybe me.
    I hooked the control box to my Gateway laptop and had the stepper motor connected, the motors hummed and built up some heat but I could not get them to move from gcode2000. I could definetly use some help here. Maybe the laptop's printer port does not produce enough of a signal, the laptop is also running XP....should I try Mach3?

Thanks to JGRO for a solid design and not to mention free. Thanks also to all the people who share with the rest of us on this great site.

Regards,
    DeadTom

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wink

Sounds like you are well on your way.
    Ace works pretty well for me unless the dxf file is very large. I do not know how big is too big, I do know that 30 kb works great and 700 kb does not work at all. There are many dxf formats, Ace needs Autocad ver 12 or equivalent. I did not know anything about gcode before I built mine (still no expert), but am learning.

You may need to check your software configuration to get the motors turning. Not sure what you are using but it will need to be set up with pin assignments for each axis. I am using turbocnc which runs in DOS (not XP).

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Go ahead and download the Mach3 demo. But first watch the Mach3 tutorial videos. There are a dozen videos, but the first 2 or 3 is all you need to understand the basics. Much of what is taught in those videos will translate to your machine and other software too. Then load the software, and load your favorite DXF. That about discribes where I am in this sport too. So get that demo download and watch those videos.

Regarding the laptop, yes I've heard that many laptops produce only 3 volts and may not work with drivers that require 5 volts. You might ask that question to Dave R or Mike B as I'm sure they know the input limits of their driver board. That's a good reason to get a BOB (breakout board). BOBs serve several purposes, and boosting the voltage from 3 to 5 volts is just one of them. Check with HobbyCNC if one is required, and how to hook it up if it is required.

I concur that the JGRO design is great, and perfect for my building skills. Glad to see another builder posting their accomplishments.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you Den^2 and Glidergider, I appreciate the feed back.
    I will get the Mach3 demo and try that first, I have been thinking of purchasing the license for M3 anyways.
    Den, I agree I need to setup the pinouts on the printer port no matter what I am running. I do have a few older computers running 95 and 98 laying about so I might just try that also.
    Still didn't have time last night to get pics, don't know if I will paint this mdf or not. Here in Nevada it's pretty dry and if this machine doesn't last I will start another machine with baltic birch or maybe aluminum. First things first got to get this one working and learn more about gcode.
    Glidergider, I read somewhere that you are into RC sailplanes? I have been flying model airplanes, u-control and RC, for 35+ years my newest fascination is with the mini-electric helicopters which is why I don't have lots of time to do other things.
    Thanks,
    DT

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

DT,
    Yep I'm an RC glider nut, but truthfully, my flying buddys have been wondering if I gave up the twin sticks sport. I've been so consummed with building this JGRO, that I haven't flown in over 2 months.
    I started with a CNC foam cutter, and after talking to some buddies, I got sucked into the router sport. Don't regret it a bit.
    Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadTom View Post
    ... Glidergider, I read somewhere that you are into RC sailplanes? I have been flying model airplanes, u-control and RC, for 35+ years my newest fascination is with the mini-electric helicopters which is why I don't have lots of time to do other things.
    Thanks,
    DT

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile

Here are a few pics of where I am at with the build. In one of the pictures you will see the wonderful label that Dave R. of HobbyCNC attaches to the stepper motors. I love labels. In another photo I have slightly modified the backlash nut assembly to accomodate the 5/8-11 rod. And yes I used 5 minute epoxy to help secure the nut to the mdf.
    I can't wait to get this finished, neither can my wife and my dog (who is one of the photos looking at me like i'm crazy, kind of like my wife).

DT

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DeadTom's JGRO machine-dscn2648-jpg   DeadTom's JGRO machine-dscn2649-jpg   DeadTom's JGRO machine-dscn2650-jpg   DeadTom's JGRO machine-dscn2651-jpg  

DeadTom's JGRO machine-dscn2652-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Its coming along really good.

You will need to keep your 5/8-11 threaded rod well lubricated in order to minimize wear on the threads.
    Liquid wrench sells a dry lubricant which sprays on and dries to as a white residue.

Jason

Downloads
    Uploads

Jason thanks for the tip. I am glad I posted my progress, it's always much apprecited to get another set of eyes and experiences looking at your creations. I will stop by the hardware store tonight on my way home and pick up the lube that you mentioned.
    Thanks again,
    DT

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey DT
    Your project is looking pretty fine. Good pics of your anti-backlash nuts. I'm curious, what you are doing inside the z-axis nut. The plans seem incomplete, or maybe I just don't understand the detail. Anyway, take a look at the z-axis nut, and how its installed.

Good pictures of the HobbyCNC outfit.

Downloads
    Uploads

Dave,
    Thanks for the kind words, I was going to post a pdf file that shows the jgro plan sheet for the z-axis but for some reason I cannot do that. I will pm you the pdf file. Essentially, the parts/Item No. 5 needs a notch cut into the side opposite the Z bearing holders. I hope this helps and if I remember I will snap a quick photo and post of my z axis BL nut.
    Tom

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Viewing here i'm just really curious as to how this 5/8" rod is going to perform, your build's coming along really well, keep us posted.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well I am back, I didn't fall off the earth. I did however get distracted by a new electric helicopter called the Dragonus II Intruder and a new spread spectrum computer radio. Anyways here are a few pictures of the new heli almost contructed and the latest development on my jgro machine.
    DT

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DeadTom's JGRO machine-dscn2655-jpg   DeadTom's JGRO machine-dscn2657-jpg   DeadTom's JGRO machine-dscn2658-jpg   DeadTom's JGRO machine-dscn2659-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi DT,
    You are a man of many toys. Wow, just look at them. How do you find time for a CNC Router. Don't worry, I know the answer to that question. Its an addiction. Not too different the the RC Addiction that I know you have too. Great looking shop. The JGRO is looking fine too.

If I go over to the RCGroups Forum, I'll bet I find you there too. What's your name on that forum? Never mind, I found you over there. You are a Civil Engineer. Small world. I was schooled in CE too. Now I'm ME. Reno is a nice place.

I'm guessing you will be designing and Cutting Telescope bodies pretty soon. Yes?
    Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Dave,
    Yes, you will find me on several different forums. And yes I will be cutting some telescope parts as well as helicopter parts and some fancy designs for the corners of the uprights on my octagonal deck around the hot tub. And many other uses, so this machine will be working for me while I continue the building of my little empire.
    So Dave I assume that you will be found in the sail plane section over at RCgroups? What is your handle over there?
    Yeah a CE, so what do you do as an ME?
    DT
    DT

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi DT,
    Yup, I'm Glidergider over on RCgroups too.

All your CNC plans for the deck, hot tub, copter etc sound great. I know a guy who builds homemade telescopes and he'd love a cnc machine to help him cut parts. That telescope world is neat. Have you started thinking about building a telescope pointing device. Seems like two steppers and some Visual Basic should do it. That would be neat, a CNC telescope. Add a long exposure camera, and you the images would be fun.

I'm employed in the aircraft design world. I'm a Catia jockey.

Any progress on your JGRO? Tonight I worked on the limit switches. Had some software (read user error) problems on the home switches. I'll get it fixed soon.
    Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

Well I am over due on my yearly check in. I got really wrapped around the axle with my first grandson and more RC helicopters. But I have finally got back to working on my Jgro machine. I installed the motors and connected them up to the control box and they all independly seem to be working but I have sooo many more questions regarding Mach3 and the setup of the motors with this machine. I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel for my Jgro project.
    Good to be back.

Downloads
    Uploads

Finally back and with great progress to report.
    Here are a few pics from last night's trial.
    The 5/8" - 10 all thread has been working fine with proper lubrication, but I will need to go to the hardware store and pick out another X axis lead screw because I tried to make it perfectly straight and instead corkscrewed the one end a little, just enough to make the gantry wiggle at that end of the travel.
    The sign depicted was goiong fine through the first pass and then toward the end of the second pass (final) the machine decided to make a detour.
    Dell P3 500mhz, Mach3 and code from Vectric Cut2D.
    DT

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DeadTom's JGRO machine-dsc_0885-jpg   DeadTom's JGRO machine-dsc_0884-jpg   DeadTom's JGRO machine-dsc_0882-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice hold downs, is that lead?

Deeds not words...
    VoltsAndBolts runs RC for the builder. http://www.voltsandboltsonline.com/ My Forum

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes those are 5lb lead ingots, I have not had a chance to get my hold down clamps installed yet.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Hello!!!!

Very nice! I have start build jgro cnc of mdf.
    Sory but my english is not good,but andersten litle.
    I wach picture.