Question about the base support structure

Thread: Question about the base support structure

Default Question about the base support structure

I'm planning on building my own version of the JGRO router. I love the design and have found a few improvements through this board and talking with some guys I work with. Anyway, I can't figure out the purpose of the base support structure. I think it's used to tighten the frame of the machine and to add weight to keep the machine steady. I searched on this and didn't find anything explaining the purpose, just some that didn't build it.

Can anyone provide what it's used for?

Thanks,

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Question about the base support structure

It adds rigidity to the structure. MDF will eventually sag under it's own weight over long spans if not supported.

Yeah I kind of figured that. I'm not making it out of MDF I'm using baltic birch 3/4" plywood and some 1/2" for the base support structure. I had enough of both here at the house to build it when I went an measured it all up. Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

It's just as you have stated. It's for support. Could be further improved by putting a skin on the bottom side and creating a torsion box.

Something to keep in mind. The greatest source of deflection will be the rails as they are an unsupported design. It's a great learning project expecially if your access to tools are limited.

btw I wouldn't use baltic birth ply on this build. Seems quite the waste to me as there will be no real return from the quality of the materials. I'd save it for something else like the new joes2006 you will build with your jgro.

Thanks for the feedback,
    I'm definitely going to box it for strength.

jckstrthmghty, I understand what you're saying about it being overkill, but I have enough of the ply sitting in my shop to build it ~ cost = $0.00!
    I used to work on race cars here so I have a bunch of alum. angle, 7/16-14 and 1/2-13 rod (I know there are better options) but I can build this with nearly zero cost.

THanks,
    Ray