New Machine Build First cnc router build

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First cnc router build

Downloads
    Uploads

Default First cnc router build

Hey guys. I'm so glad that I found out for this community!
    First let me start introducing myself. My name is Darko and I come from Serbia.
    I am young mechanical engineer, working as Instrumentation Engineer in Oil company.
    Few years back, I have worked with some CNC mill and lathe, so I am familiar with writing G code and stuff.
    I have an idea to make cnc for myself, and I choose JGRO design for it.
    First, I have made 3D assembly in Catia, with all necessary parts, and now I am working on technical documentation.
    Material will be MDF. Lead screw is 16mm diameter with anti backlash nut (pictures tommorow for this).
    I will use step motors, probably Nema23. Not sure about electronics yet, maybe I will buy some kit, or something like that.

I will post some pictures of my model, and I would like to hear from you what do you think.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Daredzoni; 11-13-2013 at 02:50 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you plan on modifying the x-axis to use manufactured rails I would highly recommend going with supported rail. Acutally I would recommend using supported rail on both the x and y and go with a different design if you can afford it.

Downloads
    Uploads

I dont have unlimited budget, because I want this to be as low as possible, but functional.
    I can find cheap supported rails, and I have been considering this, so main question is, do you think that this is necessary because unsupported rail will bend?
    When I come home, I will try to do FEM analysis on this part with some maximum load, to see what will happen.
    Also, I'm not sure yet if I will use gas pipe or some SS bar.

Downloads
    Uploads

This is gas pipe, stainless steel. Under 50kg load on one side of the gantry max displacement is 0,017mm. I beileve that this is very good.

I would appreciate comments from some experienced cnc builders.

Downloads
    Uploads

You have to take into consideration that deflection will happen on both rails at the same time then you have to factor in the length of the lever to where you cutter is. Gas pipe is ok at slower cutting speeds but you will have deflection. I started with a JGRO and it was great for a machine built with no access to cnc. It let me build a better machine which I use today.

Have fun with your build.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm back. I've been busy a little. I am very glad that this idea didn't stop here and I hope I will see end for this project.

I bought these linear berings, four big 20mm diameter, and eight of them smaller, 16mm diameter.

Adjustment blocks:

X axis ballscrew:

Steel rods:

And of course MDF

I don't have all parts for machine, but I'm getting there...
    These days I will start putting together all parts and I will post pictures here to show my progress.

Downloads
    Uploads

It's been very fun putting all pieces together. I had some problems with linear motion bearings, but I managed to align them.

There are still some things to do. I need to buy two ball screws and electronics kit with step motors.

Top torsion box is not mounted yet, I hope today when I come home, that will be done.

I hope someone will join this monolog of mine, so we can have a discussion.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First cnc router build-img_20140120_070726-jpg   First cnc router build-img_20140120_070712-jpg   First cnc router build-img_20140116_175110-jpg   First cnc router build-img_20140116_175032-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: First cnc router build

Are you still working on it?

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, I finished it. I am just waiting for spindle, it should arrive very soon.
    I did not post any updates because I see that no one is interested.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just stumbled upon this build. Looks great! Would love to see it all together and running!
    Personally, I'm interested in the electronics as well as what you're going to be using to generate g-code.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you. I will take picture of router when I come home from work. I have in my phone some pictures of electronics, so take a look. First picture is some box that I made for drivers and power supply. On second picture, you can see three drivers, breakout board, and on the left two power supllies for drivers. On the right you can see atx power supply for breakout board.
    First cnc router build-uploadfromtaptalk1402907752413-jpgFirst cnc router build-uploadfromtaptalk1402907793284-jpg

Last edited by Daredzoni; 06-16-2014 at 06:22 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It does look like the interest in the diy machines have died off. I guess everyone has so much money now they are just buying commercial machines. I do not fit into that group so will stick with the build it yourself stuff

Downloads
    Uploads

It's not that DIY has died off. If anything it's bigger than before. The difference now is what parts and kits are avalaible, as in many. Back when JGRO was first designed there was not a lot out there for the DIYer. It was a great plan that allowed anyone to build a cnc with common tool. We've come very far as a community since then and there are better value options for your money now.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here are some pictures of almost finished cnc router. Sorry for dust, dirt and other stuff that I "forgot" to clean.
    Yesterday I have installed spindle (chinesse 1.5kW with inverter) and I encountered a problem.
    When Z axis with spindle is going down, I can hear very loud scratching noise. On the other hand, when it is going up, everything seems to be fine.
    I think that there is some big time friction between nut and leadscrew due to almost 5kg spindle weight. Only Z axis have regular lead screw, other two axis have ballscrew.
    Here is a short video so you can have better picture what is going on...
    I hope that someone can give me advice on how to fix this issue.

Downloads
    Uploads

Problem solved!
    I would like to share my success with you guys. I present you my first work on CNC router build from scratch:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First cnc router build-img_20140621_210638-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello Dear Daredzoni,

I am having the problem you gave us on youtube ,, could you please tell me why the sound is there ?? is it really scratching from the nut and screw??

Please i need your help in this.

Thanks
    Best Regards

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jckstrthmghty View Post
    It's not that DIY has died off. If anything it's bigger than before. The difference now is what parts and kits are avalaible, as in many. Back when JGRO was first designed there was not a lot out there for the DIYer. It was a great plan that allowed anyone to build a cnc with common tool. We've come very far as a community since then and there are better value options for your money now.
    What would you suggest? All the machines I am seeing are in the thousands and I just don't have that to spend on another hobby

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by NobelO View Post
    Hello Dear Daredzoni,

I am having the problem you gave us on youtube ,, could you please tell me why the sound is there ?? is it really scratching from the nut and screw??

Please i need your help in this.

Thanks
    Best Regards
    Sorry for taking me ages to answer. It was axis misalignment problem. I sort this out by tightening adjustment blocks on Z axis. I hope that you have resolved your problem.

I would like to share some of my recent works on this machine:

This font is cyrilic. It is my little nephew's name.

My city is called Pančevo, so out of boredom I made this:

Downloads
    Uploads

In Serbia two biggest football clubs are Red Star ( Црвена Звезда ) and Partizan.

I am not satisfied with paint job. It took me hours to paint it, and when I applied clearcoat, this linden piece went yellow.

Downloads
    Uploads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast