New Machine Build Noob Australian JGRO build

Thread: Noob Australian JGRO build

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Noob Australian JGRO build

Hey all. After about 2 years of wanting to do something, I have finally put saw blade to plywood and started a JGRO. I chose this design simply for the fact that with no extra software, I could look at and print dimensioned plans of the machine. also that it's simple and basic for me as a first time builder, and should provide me with required experience and a machine with which to build the next one. For my birthday last year, I nagged the wife into getting me a package of NEMA 23's,breakout board and power supply off of eBay. The intention was to set this up and test run the electronics first. Then our PC tower crashed, chewing a hard drive, and that was the end of that. Most things are done off of the iPad now.
    This year I had planned on getting some 3/4 ply to make a start with. The first price of $196.00 for bc grade blew me over so hard it took me a week to consider asking for a second price. Good old Bunnings had 19mm form ply on sale. Went to our local..... Out of stock, on order! But I consider plywood significantly stronger than plain 19mm Mdf, so I saved even more and am using 15mm ply. Still heaps of strength but I just have to check the measurements a few times, with the conversion from decimal imperial to metric, then adjusted to 15 thickness. Will still end up using 9 or 12mm for the base unit and cutting face.
    Anyway here are a few pics of the build so far. Will be mostly standard, adjusted to metric of course. I may try the anti backlash designas is, but am considering acme screw or similar for the 3 drives. I also want to put side walls on the x axis and put in supports in the intermediate areas of the unit to reduce flex.
    Any questions or assistance, inbox me or reply.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Noob Australian JGRO build-image-jpg   Noob Australian JGRO build-image-jpg  
    Starting JGRO design.

Downloads
    Uploads

You would've been ok to use MDF. The rails deflect far before challenging the rigidity of the mdf structure. If possible you will want to create supports for all the rails on all axis's. Which electronics kit did you buy from ebay? My impressions most are troublesome and not worth few $$ you save. Avoid allthread leadscrews if you can and try to source multi start acme unless you can live with 30ipm jogging speeds.

I hope you enjoy you build as much as did with mine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey, the electronics was from a guy in Hong Kong called xories. Search cnc kit, and there's a really good chance most of them will be from him. It was a four axis board with NEMA 23's and power supply. Was so long ago, I can't even find anything on it in my emails anymore.

I went the ply because of my experience with Mdf being very negative (doesn't like fluids, being cut or being tapped). I guarantee I could have saved a lot more with Mdf, but I have a shed the leeks a bit, and a seasonal rat problem, so I'm trying to avoid the long term problems with it.

Starting JGRO design.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Did you finish this build yet?

And how much did you pay for ply?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, I've just started building a JGRO in Aus as well. Have you made any more progress? What leadscrews have you gone with and where did you get them?

Cheers,
    Tom

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Noob Australian JGRO build

Here is a quick blog post I wrote about my build progress: https://mechinations.wordpress.com/2...ro-cnc-router/

Tom

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Noob Australian JGRO build

The JGRO router is a fun machine to build and run. If it helps here is a link to my JGRO router build and upgrades I have made over time. Maybe you will find something useful there.

JGRO CNC Router

Keep us posted on your progress.

Regards,

Joe