mw54 home build - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mw54 home build

Downloads
    Uploads

WOW.... a year has past since i have posted on this thread.

quick up date..........

i didn't get the turbine finished by April 2008 like i said i would. that's because i got me a milling machine and then cnc'd it up. really happy with the results, but that's another thread.

back to the turbine. due to an unsuspected cash input the other week, i got the following from wren.

turbine wheel with a matched NGV
    front and rear nut's
    bearing ( £50 each ouch!!!!)
    combustion chamber ( worked out cheaper to buy one)
    and some other small bits and bobs.

with a bit of luck next week i will be ordering a fedec, fuel pump and the other bearing. all that's left to make is the fuel ring, gas pipe, tail cone and the outer case. i have put all other machining projects on hold till the turbine is done. so it should be up and running very soon.

i wont bother posting when i have started it up as you will all see the mushroom cloud and put 2 and 2 together :-)

Downloads
    Uploads

yahoooooooo it works!!

finally finished the turbine Monday last week and fired it up for the first time thursday. apart from me jumping around like a big girl, we got it up to 100'000rpm for the first start up, then took it down the field for Sunday (give the neighbours a rest). end results 13lb of thrust @ 160'000rpm.

when i have a clue what I'm doing i will fine tune the fadec as there is a few teething problems. tends to flame out on quick acceleration. plush my turbine mentor for the day said "its not accelerating quickly enough" may have something to do with the acceleration delay????? could also be causing the flame outs. i also think it's getting to 13lb before it gets to 160'000. next time i run it up I'll see if i can tell at what rpm it gets to 13lb then cap it at that. no point running at 160' if it gets there at 150'.

been having a look at other peoples setting and the are way different than mine. maybe I'm going the wrong way with the numbers.

if any one can shed some light on this it would be a big help......... thx

Blighty

Would be nice to some video of it running when you can ; )

Cheers

Andy

Downloads
    Uploads

hi Andy,

we took some videos of it Sunday. just waiting for the disk.

might even put the vid of us spending 10mins trying to figure out why it wouldn't start, only to find out i hadn't connected the battery for the fuel pump

a wee pic of the finished turbine.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mw54 home build-dsc01-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

finally got the video.

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOaTvA01elI"]YouTube - home made turbine

should of made the inlet cone out of ali'. i'll make a new one and see how it goes Sunday.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up Nice work!!

Jet looks great, nice job!! What controller did you use? I have a Tiernay T-10 turbine that I will be installing in a Trike. Turbine runs great with it's proprietary controller, just bulky, heavy and no throttle, it's set at a certain RPM. Also looking for a controller that can be tuned and view live data via a laptop if possible.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,
    Scott

Downloads
    Uploads

had a few problems with the new inlet cone and compressor that i wont bore you all with, but it all works now.

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Pjt-WCSEwU&feature=channel"]YouTube - home made turbine, take 2

NJC

the controller (ECU) is a Fadec. you can buy a data lead from wren turbines for the fadec that will plug into a laptop and give you a live feed. then from the laptop you can change the settings in the fadec. you can also download the last 51 mins of run time and see what the turbines been up to. i found this a great help when i had problems with mine. i haven't got the software loaded on this PC. later when I'm on the laptop I'll upload some screen shots.

Downloads
    Uploads

the first pic is what you see when the turbine is running, rpm, temp, etc,etc.

second pic is a graph looking at the last 51min. as you can see from cycle 11 to 15 is when i had the problems. 15 to 18 it was fixed, 18 to 19 was to adjust the settings in the fadec and 19 onwards success.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mw54 home build-fad-jpg   mw54 home build-thing-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

what is the power of this unit in kw? and fuel consumption? great job bye the way?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Very cool! Thanks for the info, that's what I'm looking for, I just wonder if it will work with my T-10 as it's much larger, 24" long X 12" diameter or so. I guess I'll contact wren and ask them, are they helpfull? Your turbine sounds great by the way, very nice job!!

Scott

Downloads
    Uploads

the4thseal

sorry, i have no idea what the output is in Kw. i'm getting 12-13lb... 54-58N.

fuel consumption......... i have no way of telling, but according to the book its about 200ml a min at 160'000rpm

NJC.

HOW BIG!!! what you going to do with that? what ever you do its going to be cool.

wren are unbelievably helpful. give them a buzz. Sara will get you first and on the slim chance she cant help she'll pass you on to Rodger.

thx for the comments, I'm just glad it works. trying to get the plane its going in ready, loads needs doing to it. so it'll be at least a few more months before it's in the air.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello NJC,
    The engine control is made by Gaspar Espiell at: http://www.xicoy.com
    He is usually very helpful, as long as you are not a Chinese mfg. trying to rip him off..
    I know their control have been used on larger engines, but I think you might need some drive circuitry to handle the larger current of the fuel pump.

Lars

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What size lathe would you need? I have a phase II 5C holder I was going to make into a 4th axis, will this have the need clearance to you think? Just wondering!

BTW, it looks great. This is one of my ultimate goals, I just got the the machined 3 axis powered up and calibrated this evening. Next will be a new x axis ball screw/mount, and my 4th axis....then the cool stuff starts flying!

Thanks for the updates :-)

Downloads
    Uploads

hi mattbesquare,

the largest diameter you need to turn is 88mm (3.465in) plus a bit to true up. between centers is about 160mm (6.299in)

hope this helps.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Would be nice to get an inexpensive source for the turbine and NGV for the MW54.

Downloads
    Uploads

that would be nice.

i was looking up the price for making another 54 a few months ago. to buy all the bits you NEED to buy comes in at the £800 mark. and 300 quid of that is the NGV and wheel.

you can buy good second hand P80 etc for that price.

Downloads
    Uploads

Only "inexpensive" source I can think of must be JetJoe parts.
    The prices on both new and used turbines have come down in the last couple of years.
    Building a 16kg+ engine will cost the same as building a small Wren, and here you maybe can save some still.

Lars

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12