Mini Bike

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mini Bike

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mini Bike

I have had this project in the back of my head for a long time now. Work has been extremely busy
    so every once in a while I get out to the garage and make a piece or two. I'm going to build a
    1970 Ruttman Wild Goose mini bike.

When I was a kid we used to ride bikes just like this one. That is what got me going on this thing.
    It will be in it's original chrysler code FC7 Plum Crazy purple color. I'm still in the stages of gathering
    information to get as original as possible.

I have enough information to start on the frame. To build the frame I will need 4 fixtures. One fixture will be
    a bending jig to bend up the frame and handle bars. The second will be a simple thing to help get the rear
    axle bracket in the correct place. The third will be used to hold the frame together for assembly. The last
    one will hold the triple tree together for assembly.
    The bending fixture has taken over 2 months just on it's own. It has 4 setups. 2 to bend the frame and 2
    to bend the handel bars and forks.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice that will be a good build I had one that sears sold looked just like the one in the picture..

Lou

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc-router-table-machines/140832-cnc-software.html

Downloads
    Uploads

I spent a couple hours making some of the parts for the frame.
    Somehow I screwed up the front fender mount bracket but all the other pieces look good.

Here are some of the pieces on the half finished frame fixture.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LouF View Post
    Nice that will be a good build I had one that sears sold looked just like the one in the picture..

Lou
    The sears front end is like this one but the frame is nicer.

Downloads
    Uploads

Oh it's been so long ago mine gave me hours of fun the good old days..

Lou

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc-router-table-machines/140832-cnc-software.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks good looking forward to your progress great pictures..

Lou

Downloads
    Uploads

This is the fixture for getting the rear axle gusset aligned correctly. It seems like alot to go thru
    to get the gusset installed. I feel it was worth the extra trouble because the hole in the gusset
    will be used to line up the frame and if they are not correctly installed the frame could end up
    skewed out of wack.

The fixture has a #12-28 thread that is used to hold the bracket down. The frame seats in the
    groove and held at the correct angle.

The gusset plate is silver soldered to the frame rail. The original plate is a straight strip of steel. I
    made mine follow the contour of the frame rail to add a little strength. At the model engine shows
    people like to pick things up and look at stuff. I want to be able to let them without worrying about
    something getting bent up.

When the frame fixture is complete I will silver solder everything together. You can see in this shot
    why it is so important to have these brackets properly located.

That's it for a while. I'm going to keep plugging away at the frame fixture and when its done I'll
    get back to give you an update.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Looks good so far.

Awesome work Steve. I think we all had one of these in some form as a kid. Will you be selling the prints like you did on the v8 engine build? I for one would buy a set. My kids have all grown, but it would make a great project for the grand kids someday.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MOTOXDUDE View Post
    Awesome work Steve. I think we all had one of these in some form as a kid. Will you be selling the prints like you did on the v8 engine build? I for one would buy a set. My kids have all grown, but it would make a great project for the grand kids someday.
    I doubt i'll ever do the print thing again. It's more work than building the project.

Downloads
    Uploads

V8 engine?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't want to sound negative as this is such a really cool build, but personally I would have beefed up those triple tree pieces. Especially since there is no suspension and... a heavy adult may end up riding it!

PS. When I was a kid in the 1970's my friend had one of these and it was great fun, although I only got to ride it once.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RomanLini View Post
    I don't want to sound negative as this is such a really cool build, but personally I would have beefed up those triple tree pieces. Especially since there is no suspension and... a heavy adult may end up riding it!

PS. When I was a kid in the 1970's my friend had one of these and it was great fun, although I only got to ride it once.
    Considering this is a scale model, I doubt a heavy adult would attempt to ride it. Notice the size of the frame rails compared to the computer monitor and how the diameter of the rails is about the same as the pencil in the background.

Matt

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LouF View Post
    V8 engine?

I did a V8 engine project.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/i_c_en..._required.html

If you notice, the first post was well over 3 years ago. 15 months of planning, 15 months of building and another 4 to 6 months getting my plans up to a decent standard. They are not professional but the drawings are useable. I think there are very few unanswered questions.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by stevehuckss396 View Post
    I did a V8 engine project.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/i_c_en..._required.html

If you notice, the first post was well over 3 years ago. 15 months of planning, 15 months of building and another 4 to 6 months getting my plans up to a decent standard. They are not professional but the drawings are useable. I think there are very few unanswered questions.
    Great job I never seen a V8 that size my hat is off to you..

Lou

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by keebler303 View Post
    Considering this is a scale model, I doubt a heavy adult would attempt to ride it. Notice the size of the frame rails compared to the computer monitor and how the diameter of the rails is about the same as the pencil in the background.

Matt
    HAHA! Whoops! My apologies to everyone. :Embarrassment:

Oh well it was a compliment I guess, looking at the pictures well it looked just like a real one!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RomanLini View Post
    HAHA! Whoops! My apologies to everyone. :Embarrassment:

Oh well it was a compliment I guess, looking at the pictures well it looked just like a real one!
    Considering that it was never said to be a scale model, I didn't realize it for a while either. I finally came around when I saw the size of the #12-28 screw in comparison to the frame. Then when you look closer at the other pictures it all becomes clear.

Matt

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by keebler303 View Post
    Considering that it was never said to be a scale model, I didn't realize it for a while either.
    Matt
    Sorry Matt! I guess the people who have read my post know I don't do anything full size.

First try! Not happy. I got the rear fender bracket wrong and the seat bracket is cocked a little. The 2 upper tubes at the neck are not even. Other than that it's perfect.

Downloads
    Uploads

Made a test sprocket today. 72 tooth for the .1225 pitch chain. Going to spend next week making another frame.

Downloads
    Uploads

Instead of making another frame I repaired the first one. All 3 issues fixed. Moving on to the handle bars and forks. Need to make yet another fixture so it's going to be a while.

Downloads
    Uploads

Amy updates?

Thank You,
    Paul G

Check out-
    [URL="http://www.signs101.com"]www.signs101.com[/URL]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast