Uploads

Similar as

The Bishop rotary valve engine
    http://home.people.net.au/~mrbdesign...utoTechBRV.pdf

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's right!

If someone is interested in the Bishop rotary valve, I would recommend looking for Glen Horrocks' dissertation "A Numerical Study of a Rotary Valve Internal Combustion Engine", European patent EP1792058B1 and, for example, US patents US7401587, US7458357. US7621249 and US7694656.

For general information about rotary valves, an "oldie but goldie" is Hunter's "Rotary Valve Engines".

But I don't want to be off topic here, I am still interested in news from the thread starter.

Downloads
    Uploads

Jaydee80, that is comprehensive. I stumbled across a story of an Aussie guy who built sidecars in Adelaide in a vintage bike mag.
    Rex Tillbrook, he built a racing motorbike with twin rotary valves, BUT! No patents lodged, he had been previously fooling with disc valve 2 strokes.
    I am suspecting Rex's twin valve motor was 2 discs, rather rotating shafts, 2 discs side by side with an included angle of about 30 to 35 degrees.
    No patents or technical papers published, just photos of the outer motor.
    He had good sealing and lubrication, apparently he built the prototype, rode it and then shelved it due to power concerns.
    Friction, I'm guessing was it's achilles heel.

This is my favourite variation;
    http://www.villiers.info/Aspin/AspinEssay/essay.htm

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

D.L, You might be interested in the rotary valved Rotax 2-strokers. They used a lot of disk type rotary valves, probably still do.

Rotax is part of Bombardier Recreational Products, (BRP). They used the rotary valved engines in Ski-Doo snowmobiles, CanAm cycles and early ultra-light aircraft. Others modified the snowmobile engines for ultra-light use.

I raced the Rotax engines in snowmobiles, lotsa power for a small package. The 340cc naturally aspirated carbureted race engine on 100 octane gasoline produced 115hp.

This is a two cylinder engine with one rotary valve covering both intake ports. It was (is) driven by a pair of 45 deg. helical gears to produce a 90 deg. 1:1 shaft. The rotary valve rotates between the carbs and the intake ports. Very compact.

Dick Z

DZASTR

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Four stroke rotary valve engines

F1 engine MGN W12 with rotary valves. F1 Motor mit Drehsch

Mark Walker
    MWV2: Concept Motorcycles by Mark Walker
    http://thekneeslider.com/mark-walker...rom-australia/
    BIG NED - The Ultimate Street Fighter - Story
    http://www.mwv2.com/creating-big-ned.html

v8 rotary valve engine australian built

OUR ROTARY VALVE V8 engine . with pics
    OUR ROTARY VALVE V8 engine . with pics - Yellow Bullet Forums

Downloads
    Uploads

That V8 started to seize before they cut off the ignition.

Wisdom results from foolishness!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Making A Rotary Valved Engine

good old bishop!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Making A Rotary Valved Engine

I "invented" the rotary valve while in M.E .school about 1964. It was so brilliant I told no one except my best hot rod buddy until I told my professor. He kindly informed me the patents ran out on it before I was born... There are variations on the rotating theme, all discussed in the way out of date book "Rotary Valve Engines" by Marcus C Inman Hunter. I love DOHC's and am building cars with Corvette LT-5's and L47 Aurora engines. But rotary valves have never completely left my mind and I'd like to work on them again. This was my senior machine design project at U of Texas. Basic design challenges are sealing, cooling, and lubrication. Typical age-old poppet valves solve all these problems. Closed poppet valve is held closed and sealed by the pressure. While closed, the heat transfers out of the valve head into the water cooled cylinder head. No one has solved these sealing, cooling, and lubrication challenges in a rotary valve, although the Bishop design is interesting. I'm still thinking about a new design for rotary valves. Is there anyone in Houston, Texas who could bring ideas to the table and would like to work with me or for me on this project? Larry Keast, PE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12