Steve Huck's Demon V8 version 1.5 - Page 4

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Steve Huck's Demon V8 version 1.5

Downloads
    Uploads

ha-ha, 400 pounds, the entire load limit on my Haas TM-1 table is 200 pounds.

However you decide to machine the rotors hope you are able to have the time to take pictures. I was contemplating the method myself looking at the blower housing earlier.

Downloads
    Uploads

heres a link to the photobucket album I have on this engine build. mini V8 pictures by cforcht - Photobucket
    there are some pics of how I fixtured the housing. I did it this way for dial in purposes. the fixture plate never cam out of the vise until I was done. I made sure it was dialed vertically in the vise then when I bolted the housing onto it I dialed the side of it to make sure it was vertical when I did both ends.

i drilled thru it first then circle interped the bores within .01 of size from both ends. just using the vises and no fixture. had to put a plug in the bore of first end to do the second end because its thin and easy to compress once the majority of the material is removed. using the fixture for final bore also eliminates the distortion from clamping it in the vise. the way the fixture is. I could skim the face of it once its in the vise to true it to the Z axis if I couldnt get it to dial in vertically. any other questions feel free to ask.

Downloads
    Uploads

of course prior to the bores I had to size the ends and sides. they were all done together in one operation so all were square to each other without a bunch of hoop jumping. then i flipped it over and faced off the excess material off the bottom I was using to hold onto. this step is probably the most important to making the rest of it trouble free.

Downloads
    Uploads

the bolt pattern on one ends was done at the same time I finished the bores. this way they are true to the centerline of the bores. when I flipped it over to do the bolt pattern on the second end. I edge found the center like normal. then decided to dial the bores just to see where I was. edge finders are only so accurate. I found that I was about .0004 off on the Y axis and about .001 on the X axis. so instead of edge finding the center I went with dialing in on the bore itself. the end plates need to be inline with the bores regardless of its relationship to the outside of the housing. you only have about .003 of total clearance to play with on the rotor to bore fit.

Downloads
    Uploads

What did you use to dial the bores in?

Downloads
    Uploads

just a test dial in the spindle of the machine

Downloads
    Uploads

Good, I have a Blake but prefer a test dial on smaller bores.

Downloads
    Uploads

when I get the rotors in process I will post some pics. with any luck I can make a good set of rotors.

Downloads
    Uploads

That would be great.

A machinist friend of mine loved to make fixtures, they intrigue me and I find them quite interesting but I hate to make them, I mean it is serious drag on my interest, so I tend to short cut things, well..... you know what short cuts do, they just make you do it over. Now there is nothing inherently wrong with short cuts, except, when they take the place of what you know should be done, so I am trying to get over that aspect when machining and not liking it one bit

Downloads
    Uploads

there are places where short cuts are acceptable and those that are not. when you're thinking I "SHOULD" do it this way but Im going to take this short cut. it usually winds up coming back to haunt you. its hard to take the I should path. but in the long run its time well spent. Not saying that I always take the should path. but many times I find myself wishing I had. like making a fixture for the heads. yes it took some time to make maybe a half hour but it turned out I could use it for almost every operation on the heads and saved loads of dialing in and setup time. glad I did it.

Downloads
    Uploads

ok the rotors have begun

Downloads
    Uploads

using a parabolic drill. they work well for deep holes. all said and done I have about .002 total drill wander in 5 inches. I would say in hard jaws thats pretty respectable.

Downloads
    Uploads

here they are all drilled and faced ready for the next op.

Downloads
    Uploads

turned a dead center for the next operation so it will be true to the spindle.

Downloads
    Uploads

heres where I am right now. got the first one turned down from the grossly oversize material I started with. hey what can I say, I've had it laying around for a couple years now. finally found a use for it. I did leave a little material on the OD for clean up on the milling ops.

Downloads
    Uploads

and no I am not using a drive dog. just whatever driving force the tailstock can provide. gotta take light cuts though otherwise it will spin on the centers.

Downloads
    Uploads

Can you at least wait till tomorrow to finish the rotors, it'll make me feel better about my machining skills

EDIT, or are they already done

Downloads
    Uploads

LOL nope theyre still in the lathe. got two of them off the lathe right now almost a third. and yes were making an extra. the just in case plan. knew I should have done that with the carbs but didnt. blew up a drill in one of them.

Downloads
    Uploads

Besides. its not how fast you get it done. its how accurate it is when you're done. a place I worked at over 14 yrs. I was the foreman there. Our biggest customer. mine biggest customer now. their senior purchasing agent was upset that we were continually late on things. that also urges more speed. anyway. being late was due mostly to scheduling in the office. half the time we didnt start working on it til the day before it was due if not THE day it was due. I had a conversation with him and told him. you'll get it when its done but when its done it will be right. so they don't have to send it back for rework. he was ok with that since they usually had at least one week buffer built into the due date. so bottom line. dont get in a hurry just make sure its right when its done. haste makes waste

Downloads
    Uploads

Ken,
    in order to have them done already I would have to break out this bad boy and give it a wave along with a few top secret spells.

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast