Steve Huck's Demon V8 version 1.5 - Page 3

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Steve Huck's Demon V8 version 1.5

Downloads
    Uploads

heres a link to the one I have. its range is from .26 dia up to 4.921 but it will go larger if you make some handy dandy adapters.

ISCAR Cutting Tools - Metal Working Tools - Iscar Catalog : KIT BHF-MB

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cforcht View Post
    I was not looking forward to the housing after seeing Steve's post about the 7 hour run time on the surfacing of the ribs. mine took about 1.5 hours though. not bad. but still a long time for such a small part.

Lets not forget that my mill has an $8.00 spindle motor that I found on Ebay. It's a mirical I was able to make one at all.

Man alive are you flying!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cforcht View Post
    heres a link to the one I have. its range is from .26 dia up to 4.921 but it will go larger if you make some handy dandy adapters.
    For me, the nearly $2500 sticker shock took away most of the interesting aspect
    I'll have to stick to a quality carbide boring bar and use machine comp.

Downloads
    Uploads

Steve,
    I didnt realize what you were using for your mill. that does make a considerable difference. of course the software doing the programming helps too. like everything else, some are better than others.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ken,
    I do believe I said it was pricey. I had to swallow hard too when I bought it. but when I have to hold .0005 on bores in 316 stainless which is what most of the parts I make are made of. its worth every penny. besides its a business expense for me. typically I only make 1 or 2 of any given part for my customers. so I cant afford to make extras hoping I hit the size needed.

FYI I have seen them on ebay.

Downloads
    Uploads

got the intake manifolds drilled so I can actually bolt them onto the engine. also made the carb adapters.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Blower design

Very nice work so far. Did you get the plans for the blower from Steve as well, or did you design your own? I got the plans for the motor, but didn't see any info on the blower. Keep the photos coming.

Downloads
    Uploads

yes I did get the plans from Steve. it was a sort of pre-release. with the understanding that they were incomplete and I would have to iron certain things out myself and he was not to be held responsible in any way if I chose to use them. nor was he going to offer support in the use of them.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MOTOXDUDE View Post
    Very nice work so far. Did you get the plans for the blower from Steve as well, or did you design your own? I got the plans for the motor, but didn't see any info on the blower. Keep the photos coming.

Hello Moto!

I provided the plans for the blower on a "use at your own risk" basis. I have not built a blower to the current drawings so I can't be sure they are going to work. I did build the prototype and make some changes for the better so I'm reasonably sure it's good but you never know.

When finished, they will be $25USD.

Downloads
    Uploads

made some connecting rods today. still need to ream the big end to size they are .02 under size right now.

Downloads
    Uploads

got a little more done. my tool showed up for the boring bar.

Downloads
    Uploads

here's the entire case completed.

Downloads
    Uploads

thats tapping fluid inside the housing bores. on the previous pic.

heres the bearing plate and housing ends.

Downloads
    Uploads

here it is assembled minus the rotors which I have yet to make.

a picture of the backside note the carbs are done except the needles and barrel

Downloads
    Uploads

Know a guy who's sig line is "First you get good, then you get fast"
    I'd say you fit that line some time ago.

Downloads
    Uploads

been doing this for 26 years now

Downloads
    Uploads

Blower looks really good on there.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think it looks awesome. always wanted something with a blower on it. just never imagined it would a miniature engine. my 16 yr old son is drooling all over every time he comes out to the shop.

as for the good and fast comment. you do something long enough you eventually get the hang of it. through my entire machining career I was blessed with never really being saddled with high production for any length of time. It was usually one or two parts. many times prototypes or reverse engineered one offs. sometimes repair parts for something obsolete. and like always, they wanted it yesterday. in reality though I like it that way. I get bored very easily. in fact the more challenging it is the better I like it. and Im lovin this little engine thanks to Steve's hard work and making the plans available.

Downloads
    Uploads

Your son have any machining interest?, I'd sure think that engine would get him revved up.

I was like you are now only in Auto repair for 35 years, got real good and real fast for the same reasons as you, customers needed it fast. I know fast mechanics and fast machinist but it is a character/personal thing about the quality of work one does.

Yes, Steve has done a really outstanding job on his plans and his build as well.

Downloads
    Uploads

doing pharmaceutical work like I do. the parts not only have to be to print but they have to look good as well. many times the aesthetics is just as important as the dimensions. I have seen parts rejected for some of the most minor of blemishes in the finish. satin or grained finishes are the most common for them but anything thats in contact with "product" needs a mirror finish which I have gotten pretty good at producing as well. practice practice practice.

right now I am trying to decide how I want to attack the rotors of the blower. either fixture or rotary indexer. both have pros and cons. I am leaning to the fixture method simply because the setup on the indexer is extremely time consuming. mostly because I dont have the matching tailstock and have to use an adjustable height one which adds yet another axis of dialing in. not to mention it weighs about 400 lbs.

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast