Need Help! Hypertherm serial port CNC board

Thread: Hypertherm serial port CNC board

Default Hypertherm serial port CNC board

Hi guys,

I have done a few searches but can't seem to find what I'm after, Basically is any motion controllers that already have a Hypertherm serial port interface and database set up, I know that CandCNC have this available but it's just out of my price range ( sub $1000). I have a new XP105 and want to be able to just set the voltage from the controller without having to change it manually, has anyone done this? any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Hypertherm serial port CNC board

Linuxcnc's Plasmac config supports RS485 out of the box.
    Docs here: PlasmaC User Guide
    More plasma info here: Plasma Cutting Primer for LinuxCNC Users (full disclosure, I wrote this)

Linuxcnc is open source (free) and for a kickass build you could use a Mesa 7i76e plus a Mesa THCAD-5 (for 50:1) or THCAD-10 (change the board to output 30:1) which will set you back about $250
    The cheaper Mesa 7i96 and THCAD-5 will be < $200
    You need a DB9 serial port on your PC and a RS485 converter. USB serial ports are not that reliable.
    I've recently bought an Odroid H2+ PC which has a UART on the GPO pins so I hope it can be used for RS485

If you have moe questions, Ask in the Linuxcnc forum as you will get more help than here.

Rod Webster
    www.vmn.com.au

Thanks very much Rodw, I've set up a few machines on windows and Mach3 but haven't used Linux, but seems to be what a lot of guys are going for, That's a great doc you have put together, Just a question when using the PlasmaC setup, is it in the sheetcam post processor you set the code for the setting the amps for the Hypertherm or is this something that has to be done in plasmaC, sorry this may be a silly question, I'm just new to the RS485 and have never used Linux.

Downloads
    Uploads

I've not used it (I have a Thermal Dynamics A120). I'm pretty sure its done in the GUI because there is no confirmation back from the plasma cutter that changing the Amperage settings have been completed successfully. The guy that worked with the developer had used Candcnc in a production setting and just knew what worked and what didn't. In fact, he threw out that system and adopted Plasmac and thought it was the best thing he had ever done. A few guys are using the RS485 now and are happy with it. There is no need to be frightened of Linux. Some distros (eg Linux Mint) are that smooth, there is no need to ever run windows again once you try it.

I'll see if I can give thefabricator03 a wave and he might drop in and give you a better answer.

Rod Webster
    www.vmn.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky86mick View Post
    Thanks very much Rodw, I've set up a few machines on windows and Mach3 but haven't used Linux, but seems to be what a lot of guys are going for, That's a great doc you have put together, Just a question when using the PlasmaC setup, is it in the sheetcam post processor you set the code for the setting the amps for the Hypertherm or is this something that has to be done in plasmaC, sorry this may be a silly question, I'm just new to the RS485 and have never used Linux.

I had a CandCNC setup and it was a nightmare to use compared to PlasmaC.

With the RS485 control, in PlasmaC you set up a material list with given cut parameters for a certain type or thickness steel. Then as the RS485 connects it uses those parameters to control the Hypertherm. Cut current, air pressure and cut mode can be controlled via the interface. You can also turn the RS485 on or off as you like within PlasmaC. Also Phill has also set up error message displays that when a error has occurred a pop up box comes up on the screen showing the error so you dont need to check the Hypertherm Screen. It tells you what the error means instead of interpreting a code.

I have been using it in a production environment for over a year now and its by far the best machine control I have ever used. This thread has some of the photos I have posted using it, https://forum.linuxcnc.org/plasmac/38908-photos

Thanks for the replys guys, seems like Linux it is