Powermax 30

Thread: Powermax 30

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Powermax 30

Hi I'm going to be taking a class we're we build a 2ft x 3ft ish gantry style cnc. Most students build it as a router table but I want a plasma table. I have a powermax 30 all ready. I am planning on using a proma thc. Will likely only be cutting 1/4 and under. Mostly 3/16.

I'm wondering if it's possible to retrofit a quick disconnect to the machine so I can use it as a mobile machine and as a cnc. Maybe use a dean's setup like my multimatic 215 has for the tig? Or would it be a waste of time and money? I have a limit of 110v only. Not looking for a production machine just home jeep hobby. Funds are kinda limited so I can't justify a new machine to dedicate to this project.
    Here is a pick of someone else's cnc that I will be building.
    Thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Powermax 30

You probably could put a quick disconnect on a 30, though I have never done this.....so I cannot offer advice. Keep in mind that there is the possibility of open circuit DC voltage of around 300, which can be lethal! There also are trigger wires and parts in place sensor switch wiring in the torch lead. The Powermax30 is not designed for machine cutting....however there are a few using it that way. Good luck, best regards, Jim Colt Hypertherm

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for the input. Do you think there would be a way to wire in the the and trigger circuit so it can be easily dc and just use stock torch?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dose hypertherm have a 110v machine that could be used as a cnc machine?

Downloads
    Uploads

The Powermax45xp is 230 volts, it is the lowest powered plasma that we recommend for cnc use. The Powermax30 is used by some people on cnc machines as long as you keep the duty cycle low and stay under 1/4" thickness. Since there is no interface connections...you will need to review the trigger switch wiring to determine the best way to start the torch from the CNC. It is quite easy in reality, however as a Hypertherm employee I cannot suggest any modifications for liability reasons. Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by BenDiesel View Post
    Dose hypertherm have a 110v machine that could be used as a cnc machine?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's to bad. I was hoping hypertherm had something that would compete with the Miller spectrum 625.

Downloads
    Uploads

The Powermax45XP outsells the Miller Spectrum 625, so it is competitive. The higher wattage output of the 45XP (due to higher cutting load voltage) makes it more powerful, but also makes it not able to operate on lower wattage 120 volt circuits. There actually is very little demand for the 45 amp class plasma cutters for operation in the 120 volt range, what little there is, is almost all for hand cutting (not machine cutting), and the Powermax30XP does very well in that segment. Best regards, Jim Colt

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ahh thanks. My problem is my house was built with 100 amp service and my brakerpannel is full

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Are there any machine style torch heads that have compatible consumables with the powermax 30 non xp.