Hypertherm 45 torch cap sensor fault

Thread: Hypertherm 45 torch cap sensor fault

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Hypertherm 45 torch cap sensor fault

Been a while since I`ve posted here because everything had been working perfectly till now.

I have always used 45 amp consumables until this week when I had to use some 30 amp for a fine job I had to cut. I keep getting the cap sensor LED going off which shuts off the machine.
    I want to know how this switch work !! Is it a single pole, single throw micro switch , or is there more to it than that?
    Yes I'm using proper consumables, and yes they are new, and yes they are installed correctly !!!
    Does this switch feed the signal back to the machine, or does it shut off current right at the torch?
    I want to know why this is happening and how I can fix it myself, so sending it back for repair at my local Hypertherm dealer is not an option.

As I install the consumables, I can hear the micro switch click and it takes another turn or so to fully seat everything finger tight. I know the switch is "made", but the darn thing still faults out.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Similar Threads:
    The one that dies with the most tools, WINS !

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Hypertherm 45 torch cap sensor fault

I sent this response yesterday, apparently it did not get to you. Best way to communicate with me is through jim.colt@hypertherm.com . Best place for Hypertherm tech issues is technical.service@hypertherm.com or 800 643 9878 . Best regards, Jim Colt

Single pole single throw switch. Over-tightening the cap and under tightening the cap can cause faults. Cap should only be snug, just tight enough until the nozzle will not spin. I am only asking because this is the most common thing: are you using the complete T30 consumable stack, including swirl ring, electrode, nozzle and retaining cap? There are no shared parts with the 45 amp shielded stack. Next, are the parts all genuine Hypertherm?. The switch often faults with aftermarket parts. Jim Colt. Hypertherm
    Sent from my iPhone

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Jim;
    No I never got a response. I will call the 800 number and see if I can get clarification. If not, I will take the torch apart and see if there's a broken wire giving me an intermittent fault.I'm curious to find out how this switch is supposed to see both , too tight and too loose situations. If I still get problems, I short the switch right out so I don't get anymore faults in the middle of long cut programs.
    Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

The switch does not see both situations. It will send too loose or stack up tolerance issues ( common with aftermarket consumables) if the cap is over tightened it can cause the electrode to bind ( it must slide ) and will not allow the torch to fire. Jim Colt. Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Thanks Jim;
    No I never got a response. I will call the 800 number and see if I can get clarification. If not, I will take the torch apart and see if there's a broken wire giving me an intermittent fault.I'm curious to find out how this switch is supposed to see both , too tight and too loose situations. If I still get problems, I short the switch right out so I don't get anymore faults in the middle of long cut programs.
    Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    The switch does not see both situations. It will send too loose or stack up tolerance issues ( common with aftermarket consumables) if the cap is over tightened it can cause the electrode to bind ( it must slide ) and will not allow the torch to fire. Jim Colt. Hypertherm
    Slide? First I hear of this !
    Could you briefly explain the theory as to how the plasma firing works? Would be a great thing to know.