Need Help! Powermax 65 pressure regulator issue

Thread: Powermax 65 pressure regulator issue

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Powermax 65 pressure regulator issue

Hi
    I am using powermax 65 plasma and it works fine for two weeks, but now I am getting error code 0-12 and 0-20 continuously.
    When I arc starts it cuts for a second or less before the arc is gone and one of the above error codes appears.
    I replaced the consumables with new ones, checked the air inlet pressure, checked the filter but everything was ok.
    But there was a noice of air flowing out of the air regulator inside the plasma. I opened the plasma cover and I gave arc start signal and I have seen that almost all the gas was blown out of the regulator valve. I repeated the start signal and I found that both solenoids lying above the regulator are enabled and disabled together (both LEDs light at the same time when the arc starts). I noticed that one of them is DUMP valve and the other is the FILL valve. I think that the DUMP valve should not be enabled so as not to blow the gas out and prevent it from flowing to the torch. Is that right? Could it be a wrong signal from the regulator controller?
    Powermax 65 pressure regulator issue-20160410_123134-jpg
    By the way, when both solenoids are disabled the exhaust of the valve still blows little gas flow.
    Could any one please help me with this issue?
    Thanks in advance
    Waleed

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Much more effective than asking for help on a forum....please contact technical.service@hypertherm.com . It is free, they are the experts. Jim Colt. Hypertherm
    Quote Originally Posted by waleed alhadidi View Post
    Hi
    I am using powermax 65 plasma and it works fine for two weeks, but now I am getting error code 0-12 and 0-20 continuously.
    When I arc starts it cuts for a second or less before the arc is gone and one of the above error codes appears.
    I replaced the consumables with new ones, checked the air inlet pressure, checked the filter but everything was ok.
    But there was a noice of air flowing out of the air regulator inside the plasma. I opened the plasma cover and I gave arc start signal and I have seen that almost all the gas was blown out of the regulator valve. I repeated the start signal and I found that both solenoids lying above the regulator are enabled and disabled together (both LEDs light at the same time when the arc starts). I noticed that one of them is DUMP valve and the other is the FILL valve. I think that the DUMP valve should not be enabled so as not to blow the gas out and prevent it from flowing to the torch. Is that right? Could it be a wrong signal from the regulator controller?
    Powermax 65 pressure regulator issue-20160410_123134-jpg
    By the way, when both solenoids are disabled the exhaust of the valve still blows little gas flow.
    Could any one please help me with this issue?
    Thanks in advance
    Waleed

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Powermax 65 pressure regulator issue

Thanx Jim
    I will send an email to this address.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by waleed alhadidi View Post
    Thanx Jim
    I will send an email to this address.
    Hi,

I am having the same exactly problem. How did you solve it? Did you replace the solenoids valve?

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    that pressure regulator is a very VERY trick piece of gear. Its not common for them to be faulty but not unheard of either.

It works by having a FILL and DUMP valves and they operate in almost a see-saw action. They do emit a certain amount of air when they are operating normally.

The error codes you are talking about are very common if you have a weak air supply, I don't mean low pressure, you should never subject you machine to greater than 100 psi,
    but a weak supply will drop its pressure as the plasma demands air. May I suggest using a larger diameter airline of shortest possible length direct from the compressor.
    It should at least tell you that the airsupply is OR is not responsible for the fault.

Another area that is poorly understood and often overlooked is dry air. The moisture content of the air will have a major effect on consumable life. Thus if you are using your
    plasma a lot or for production purposes you must use dry air or you will spend a fortune on consumables. In humid tropical and semi tropical areas high use customers will
    use de-humidifier air dryer machines which run into the thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars. The cost of the air dryer may be more than the compressor or even the plasma!

Hobbyists or low volume users try to avoid that cost by using 'air drying' filters.......which are a poor second to a de-humidifier air dryer. Also the filters chosen are too small
    and restrictive and the 0-12 and 0-20 errors result. It might be worth bypassing your filter (with a low-restriction hose) and try your machine again. It will give you and indication
    whether the filter is too restrictive.

I've had many customers claim 'the filter is fine....I'm sure its big enough' only to have me disprove their claim by this test. What they're really complaining about
    is the big new $300 filter assembly and larger diameter fittings I'm trying to sell them. Reluctantly they agree when as a result of fitting the new filter all their 0-12 and
    0-20 faults disappear.

Craig

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for your reply.

Meanwhile I did some tests. I opened my PowerMax 85 and checked if the filter and all the pipes were clean, and then I run the gas test. The problem is that when I start the gas test, and so the solenoid valve opens, the pressure detected by the pressure sensor is around 35psi (on the compressor I have around 90psi), so very low (I have attached a picture). The pressure sensor works fine, because I tried to replace it with a standard mechanical pressure gauges and when the solenoid valve opens, it detects the same pressure (between 30 and 40psi), and I also measured the pressure at the PowerMax 85 air inlet, and I have 90psi, same of the air compressor. So, in my opinion or the solenoid valve doesn't work properly, it opens very little and not as much as it should be, and so in its second chamber the pressure drops, or as you suggest the air supply is weak and doesn't let the solenoid valve to work properly.

Let me know your thoughts.

Here also a couple of videos:

Powermax 65 pressure regulator issue-20190105_111236-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Powermax 65 pressure regulator issue-20190105_111236-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    well it sounds like you are convinced that its the Fill/Dump solenoid, be warned they are expensive and way trickier inside that their humble
    appearance makes them.

That pressure sensor it not just an on/off sensor it is an analogue sensor. Its output goes to the DSP board and that is processed into a Fill/Dump valve
    sequence to achieve the right pressure in a feedback loop. You could waste some serious money by replacing parts that are not faulty because you don't have
    an absolute diagnosis. I think a Hypertherm repair tech is probably the way to go.

Craig