powermax robotics/cnc interface

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: powermax robotics/cnc interface

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default powermax robotics/cnc interface

I've been trying here in the UK with little success to find out more about the powermax (40 is it?) robotic/cnc interface. Sadly I'm afraid - getting any British companies to respond has been a little like pulling teeth - I suppose with the economy being so strong they don't need the business!!!!. So can anyone give me the following info or point me at the relevant literature.

What exactly does the "robotic" interface give me? I'm hoping for:

1) the ability to control the torch on/off. Details?
    2) a scaled down arc voltage. Details?
    3) an arc good signal. Details ?

All the info I've seen on the various hypertherm sites around the world say is:
    "CNC interface and Fast Connect™ torch connection
    increase versatility for handheld and mechanized usage"
    but any details appear to be "top secret".

TIA

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Nothing secret about the cnc interface which is included with all Powermax45 plasma systems. You can download the operators manual from the www.hypertherm.com (the only official Hypertherm site) site and it has all of the necessary info. Here is the info:

There is a receptacle on the rear panel of the Powermax45 with 3 interface signals available.

1. Plasma Start. These 2 pins, when connected together (via a relay or switch) will fire the plasma torch, when they are disconnected, the plasma arc will stop. There are details in the manual that outline the typical circuitry to operate this input function if you are using a solid state device (transistor) to do the switching. This start function is only active when the machine torch is installed on the Powermax45. It is dangerous to have a remote switch when using a hand torch.....as the torch could be fired from a remote location when the torch is in hand.

2. Arc Transfer (also known as arc good, machine motion, etc.). These two pins are controlled by a relay inside the Powermax 45......when the plasma arc is transferred to metal that is attached to the work ground (ground clamp) the pins are essentially connected, when the arc is not cutting, the circuit is open.

3. Voltage Divider output. These two pins provide 1/50th of the actual DC arc voltage for use with many torch height control devices. Many devices require raw arc voltage, which is available on the main circuit board inside the unit.

If you have further questions I would be happy to help, or you can call Hypertherm directly and ask for tech service. There are US and European tech service contacts listed on the website under "contact us".

Best regards, Jim Colt

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Jim - thanks for your reply

Thanks for the info. I'll read and get back with more questions I'm sure but meanwhile do you have another link to the operators manual. I've never been able to download it - which is why I've never seen this info. I guess. It starts downloading and then just says "stopped" in the status bar (firefox).

Cheers

Ian

Downloads
    Uploads

There is an available .pdf file and a .zip file for the manual. I have heard a few complaints that Firefox does not allow the .pdf (but some Firefox users say it works fine), however everyone tells me the zip file works fine. If that will not work, send me your direct email address and I'll email the .pdf ....it is in the 10 to 15 megabyte size range. Jim jim.colt@hypertherm.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Jim - found and downloaded the zip successfully.

Cheers

Ian

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Jim - I'm wondering if I'm on to a loser trying to buy a hypertherm here in the UK. Do you know if they are available outside the US. Obviously if I do go ahead and get one and if I have to import from the USA then fine - I'm just a tad surprised I can't find a distributor this side of the pond.

The only UK place I can find and I'm not sure if they're official resellers is a place called "city plasma" and they were the ones who wouldn't or couldn't give me the info I requested above - hardly fills me with confidence.

Also do you know a ballpark price for a powermax 45 with machine torch - that would be usefull at this stage. I'm also assuming it's posible to import - are they ROHS compliant for example? and any other restriction the EU has put on things to try to close Europe down for good :-(

Ian

Downloads
    Uploads

Stirling,

There are many distribution locations for Hypertherm products around the world as well as tech support and sales offices. In fact over 60% of our product is exported outside of the US. Have you tried location a UK distributor through the web site? www.hypertherm.com If that is not helping you....send me an email with your contact infor and I will make sure that someone from Hypertherm UK contacts you with a list of sources to purchase our machines. jim.colt@hypertherm.com

Units that are shipped to Europe are CE approved units, and are designed to operate on your voltage and frequency. Using a system designed for use in the US would not meet the same specs as the US unit, and would not be properly designed for your power. All units that we produce are ROHS compliant, and have been for a few years.

As far as pricing...the European price structure is a bt different as compared to the US. As soon as we find you a distributor, then figure out exactly what you need for a system....we can supply pricing.

Best regards, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by stirling View Post
    Jim - I'm wondering if I'm on to a loser trying to buy a hypertherm here in the UK. Do you know if they are available outside the US. Obviously if I do go ahead and get one and if I have to import from the USA then fine - I'm just a tad surprised I can't find a distributor this side of the pond.

The only UK place I can find and I'm not sure if they're official resellers is a place called "city plasma" and they were the ones who wouldn't or couldn't give me the info I requested above - hardly fills me with confidence.

Also do you know a ballpark price for a powermax 45 with machine torch - that would be usefull at this stage. I'm also assuming it's posible to import - are they ROHS compliant for example? and any other restriction the EU has put on things to try to close Europe down for good :-(

Ian

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Jim - as per my email today, things are progressing nicely - thanks.

Another techy question though re: the machine torch interface to the powermax45.

The operator manual (and as you've already said) describes the scaled down arc voltage as being 50:1 and a max of 7V. My slight confusion here is that as I understand it arc voltage is negetive with respect to "clamp" so...

Pins 5 and 6: is one of these at "clamp" volts and the other minus 7Vdc? with respect to "clamp" (if you see what I mean)

Thanks

Ian

Downloads
    Uploads

One pin is at work clamp (positive) potential, the other will read 1/50th of the electrode to work clamp voltage (arc voltage).

Hopefully that helps

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

he he! - not really but I guess when I get my powermax45 I can figure it out.

I need to take the potential difference between the two pins and feed that into an ADC which needs 0 to +5Vdc. I'm thinking that the "gnd" of the ADC will actually end up one way or the other wired to true ground so I need to figure out if I take "clamp" to true ground which I guess I will, then is that 7V above or below that? i.e. I need to a) sub-divide that 0-7V down to 0-5V and b) invert it.

Downloads
    Uploads

The cutting bed should always have a ground rod driven as close as possible, the work clamp from the plasma, and a heavy gauge wire from the ground rod to the cutting bed should be tied together at one place, called a star ground. It is confusing to many that plasma potential seems reversed as far as polarity, the work clamp can (and should) be considered ground even thogh it is the positive side of the circuit in reference to the negative (electrode) arc.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

understood Jim. Just wanted to make sure that as part of bringing the interface out to the panel hypertherm hadn't done the inversion for you. i.e. I'll need to do that myself.

Thanks

Ian

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So... anyone interfaced the hypertherm 0 to -7Vdc to an ADC that requires 0 to +5Vdc? I'm sure there are countless ways of doing it - just wondered if anyone's got a tried and tested neat and simple solution.

Thanks

Ian

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So... anyone interfaced the hypertherm 0 to -7Vdc to an ADC that requires 0 to +5Vdc? I'm sure there are countless ways of doing it - just wondered if anyone's got a tried and tested neat and simple solution.
    OK - I guess not but does anyone know what the output impedance of the hypertherm powermax45 potential divider is? I guess when I actually get my hands on one I can measure it but in the meantime I'd like to start modelling in ltspice.

Ian

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm sure Hypertherm tech service can get the answer for you regarding impedance.

Jim

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

There is actually some schematics in the Hypertherm manuals....

Its a 100KOhm over 2KOhm Voltage divider.... So 51:1 actually...

I used a pc power supply for +12V -12V and a dual op amp.... first amp is a voltage follower and the second is an inverter ... from there to a couple of comparators... then transistor outputs to mach...

< 51:1 if you actually get components that are bang on the money :P this whole +-X% thing is a guessing game at best lol>

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Jim - thanks. Tech Service replied today.
    Pandinus - thanks for the info you just beat them to it :-) I too was going to use a buffer followed by an inverter. However I put togeather just an inverter (single supply) in ltspice and it *seems* to do the trick without the buffer. We'll see whether that holds in reality :-)

Thanks again

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    Nothing secret about the cnc interface which is included with all Powermax45 plasma systems. You can download the operators manual from the www.hypertherm.com (the only official Hypertherm site) site and it has all of the necessary info. Here is the info:

There is a receptacle on the rear panel of the Powermax45 with 3 interface signals available.

1. Plasma Start. These 2 pins, when connected together (via a relay or switch) will fire the plasma torch, when they are disconnected, the plasma arc will stop. There are details in the manual that outline the typical circuitry to operate this input function if you are using a solid state device (transistor) to do the switching. This start function is only active when the machine torch is installed on the Powermax45. It is dangerous to have a remote switch when using a hand torch.....as the torch could be fired from a remote location when the torch is in hand.

2. Arc Transfer (also known as arc good, machine motion, etc.). These two pins are controlled by a relay inside the Powermax 45......when the plasma arc is transferred to metal that is attached to the work ground (ground clamp) the pins are essentially connected, when the arc is not cutting, the circuit is open.

3. Voltage Divider output. These two pins provide 1/50th of the actual DC arc voltage for use with many torch height control devices. Many devices require raw arc voltage, which is available on the main circuit board inside the unit.

If you have further questions I would be happy to help, or you can call Hypertherm directly and ask for tech service. There are US and European tech service contacts listed on the website under "contact us".

Best regards, Jim Colt
    Well I finally got my powermax45 with machine torch and am back to sorting out the external control of the beast.

Jim - I've been in touch with support but I'm afraid it's a bit of a slow process. Perhaps you can help me out again.

I've highlighted the bits of interest at the moment from one of your earlier replies. I can't find these details antwhere either in the online manuals I downloaded or in the manuals that came with the system. I'm pretty happy doing it either with a SSR or electro-mechanical relay and I understand it's 18Vdc that I have to switch but what are the current requirements of the SSR or relay I'll need to buy.

Secondly - arc transfer - it seemed pretty straightforward from your description - I WAS just going to use this switch closure to pull a TTL signal low - but - I see in the manual it says: "Normally open. Dry contact closure when the arc transfers" - so far so good - but it then says "120 VAC/1A maximum at the machine interface relay or switching device (supplied by the customer)" - That's lost me - can you clear this up for me please?

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

I will have to contact our tech service group and have then research tha actual input current on the start input.....we have thousands of these units in use on mechanized applications.....yet no one has requested this info...and you are right, it is not anywhere to be found in the manuals.

In regards to the arc transfer output (120 vac, 1 Amp).....that is simply the rating of the relay contacts for this output. We use a mechanical relay as there are a variety of different interfaces with both AC and DC current requirements. The output should work fine for your requirements.

Jim

Well I finally got my powermax45 with machine torch and am back to sorting out the external control of the beast.

Jim - I've been in touch with support but I'm afraid it's a bit of a slow process. Perhaps you can help me out again.

I've highlighted the bits of interest at the moment from one of your earlier replies. I can't find these details antwhere either in the online manuals I downloaded or in the manuals that came with the system. I'm pretty happy doing it either with a SSR or electro-mechanical relay and I understand it's 18Vdc that I have to switch but what are the current requirements of the SSR or relay I'll need to buy.

Secondly - arc transfer - it seemed pretty straightforward from your description - I WAS just going to use this switch closure to pull a TTL signal low - but - I see in the manual it says: "Normally open. Dry contact closure when the arc transfers" - so far so good - but it then says "120 VAC/1A maximum at the machine interface relay or switching device (supplied by the customer)" - That's lost me - can you clear this up for me please?

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Stirling,

I spoke with Hypertherm tech service this morning.....the start signal input relay or ssr that you use will need to be rated at 10 mA. The tech also reiterated that the 120 volt, 1A is simply the max rating on the arc transferred output contact....and it will have no issues switching your TTL input.

Jim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast