powermax robotics/cnc interface - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: powermax robotics/cnc interface

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Jim - as ever I appreciate your response. Don't suppose you can lay your hands on that "typical circuitry" for firing the torch from TTL. I know I can just wack in a relay but with such a low V and A I'm thinking it's perhaps a bit overkill - maybe not. As far as a SSR is concerned I'm sure I read somewhrere that they're not good at switching such low current - might of course be mistaken though - thoughts?

Cheers

Ian

Downloads
    Uploads

Ian,

I am a bit rusty with my electronics....I suggest you email questions like these directly to Hypertherm tech service...they will get back to you. I have seen a suggested connection diagram in one of our manuals...likely they can email it to you. I would forward this message but I don't have your direct email address.

here is the contact info:

Technical Service
    technical.service@hypertherm.com
    800-643-9878 Tel - Toll Free in USA
    and Canada

If you mention you are working with me maybe they will respond quicker!

Jim Colt

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Jim

Downloads
    Uploads

So... anyone interfaced the hypertherm 0 to -7Vdc to an ADC that requires 0 to +5Vdc? I'm sure there are countless ways of doing it - just wondered if anyone's got a tried and tested neat and simple solution.
    Make a differential opamp circuit with an inverting output. The inputs will follow the voltage on the 2 wires from the divider (with no ground effect) and produce a positive output.
    But since the plasma voltage can be as high as 400 volts (floating anywhere in relation to earth ground) your opamp inputs must be able to be able to handle this swing. Unless you connect your table to earth ground.

Inside the plasma NEITHER torch or work clamp are connected to the primary side or electrical ground. I think this it to REDUCE the chance of a shock if you are grounded... and touch the torch OR touch the ground clamp .

But thats assuming the isolation transformer in the plasma has no leakage.

The other day i was using my Hypertherm 45 plasma to cut a rear axle from a old car, when i realized i was kneeling on wet ground. Yikes !!

Jim , what is the part# of the plastic connector for the 45 or 1000 remote ?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Stirling,you have discovered the downside of having a Hypertherm unit.They only have one employee in the UK and he`s a salesman.A very nice and pleasant guy but non technical.
    When I bought a secondhand Hypertherm unit,despite an email to Hypertherm in Europe asking for names of UK distributors,it took intervention by Jim Colt before I got a reply,by which time I had found my own distributor.I am very happy with the response of both the distributor and Hypertherm when I order consumables and spares but think I was just lucky in finding a distributor who cares.
    When it comes to technical support it is a bit of a lottery in who you get on the end of the phone.I have spoken to two tech guys.The first was extremely helpful and technically competent,the second was a bit of a disappointment as he suggested the problem would go away if I used genuine Hypertherm consumables and it took him over two days to email that suggestion.Most annoying as I only use Hypertherm bits.However,when I replied to him he did try harder and came up with the technical info I needed.Three days is a long time though when a machine is down.
    As regards pricing,I`m sure I`ve read on Hypertherms site that they allow the distributors to set the price relevant to their own area.
    At the end of the day I`m happy with the equipment and until I deal with a different plasma manufacturer I don`t know if their service in the UK is good or bad in the sector.

Mark.

Edit:I meant to add,it may be with tech support that if you can get over to them that you are technically competent then they will be more forthcoming with the required info as I have found that in the past.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mark

Your experiences seem extremely similar to mine. Fully concur on the how helpful Jim Colt here has been - without him not sure how far I'd have got. The UK salesman has as you say been friendly and helpful but not techy. The distributer here in the UK that I was put in touch with has been helpful and one guy in particular has gone out of his way to find the techy stuff I've asked for. In all I'm very pleased with their service. The only thing I suppose of interest was when I actually ordered the PM45 it took a couple of weeks as it had to shipped from the US. Seems my distributer doesn't actually have them in stock - but in this case that didn't pose a problem for me - not sure about consumables etc. All in all very pleased.

Work on the THC is now going well. Do you use one?

Cheers

Ian

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ian.
    I have a Messer Grieshem Silver Bullet machine which has a Burny 2.8 and MAX100 on it.
    I don`t have THC.I`ve thought about it and have looked at a few but seem to get on fine with the plate rider which was on the machine.I have had a few emails with Larry who posts here and a lot of technical info from him,not just his THC but also the cnc controls he does and to be honest it would not be an expensive option to try his stuff.In the event of a problem it`s no more difficult to email China than it is to phone Europe and at least the email is cheap,the phone call costs me money.
    I don`t cut very small parts on the machine,if I did the THC would probably be needed.I`m cutting mainly 4mm to 15mm mild steel and cut quality is excellent apart from the time I had the problem with the plasma source.
    I spoke to a few companies who deal in Hypertherm here in the UK when I was looking for a part for mine.I only know for sure that one of these companies is an appointed Hypertherm agent.A service guy at a big dealer in all sorts of welding and profiling equipment near Leicester told me "no chance it`s that part,they never go",another dealer from Leeds was very enthusiastic about some but not all Hypertherm products and the official agent Hypertherm recommended in Scotland had a bad phone manner,very unfriendly and informed me "that`s obsolete you won`t get spares for that".
    The machine manufacturers,Messer Industries` parts guy is still to come back to me.
    I got the part through my self found consumables supplier Premier Welding in Glasgow,a company I can wholeheartedly recommend.
    The part I was after was nothing special,manufactured by Honeywell,but,unfortunately they and their agents had none in the UK and it was going to take too long to fetch from the States,so I got Premier to order from Hypertherm in Holland or Belgium or wherever they are.
    Mark.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Mark

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

bit of an update: I got my DTHC finished and working and have had it out in a commercial shop who agreed to test it out for 3 months. I loaned them my PM45 and my DTHC and they (and me) are chuffed as nuts - it's worked flawlessly (sorry - blowing my own trumpet a tad there). One question though (I guess for Jim). Do ALL Hypertherm units have the same "robotics" interface as the PM45?

Ian

Downloads
    Uploads

The Powermax 45 and Powermax1650 have the interface plug as standard on the rear panel, the Powermax65 and 85 have to be ordered with the interface in place (allows us to take crcuitry out of hand held units for more competitive pricing). On the 65 and 85 there is also a built in voltage divider (for THC use) with 5 different divider ratios....this way you do not have to bring raw arc voltage (just uner 300 vdc open circuit) out with your wiring...rather you can use a divided voltage between 20 and 50:1 ratio.

Hypertherms industrial plasma systems have far more complex interface capability....

Jim

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Jim

Ian

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry to resurrect my oldish thread but Jim (Colt) could you clarify a point from your post (quoted below) for me please?

Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    The Powermax 45 and Powermax1650 have the interface plug as standard on the rear panel, the Powermax65 and 85 have to be ordered with the interface in place (allows us to take crcuitry out of hand held units for more competitive pricing). On the 65 and 85 there is also a built in voltage divider (for THC use) with 5 different divider ratios....this way you do not have to bring raw arc voltage (just uner 300 vdc open circuit) out with your wiring...rather you can use a divided voltage between 20 and 50:1 ratio.

Hypertherms industrial plasma systems have far more complex interface capability....

Jim
    I read it as saying that the Powermax45 and Powermax1650 have identical machine interfaces. More specifically that the divided down arc voltage is the same on the 1650 as the 45 i.e. both have a 50:1 divided down voltage. Is that correct? I'm asking because someone who owns a PM1650 has just told me that his doesn't have a divided down voltage but rather, presents the actual arc voltage at the interface.

Thanks

Ian

Downloads
    Uploads

The interface plug on the rear panel of the Powermax45, Powermax1000, 1250 and 1650 all have the same interface pinouts and signal voltages. Start input is on pins 3 and 4, arc transferrred output is on pins 12 and 14, and divided arc voltage (50:1 ratio on all of these units) is located on pins 5 (negative) and 6 (positive). None of these systems have ever had the full Raw arc voltage present on this connector (at least not from the factory) as the high potential voltage exceeds safety specifications as listed in CSA and CE certification. There are instructions listed in Hypertherm tech manuals for accessing raw arc voltage by making connections on the main circui board for each of these units. Note that there are some early models of the Powermax1000, 1250 and 1650 that were not equipped with the divided (50:1) output. These units would not have connections on pins 5 and 6 of the interface connector.

The newer Powermax65 and 85 have the same connections and plug type as listed above, but the installer has the option of changing the divided voltage from the factory default of 50:1....to 20:1, 21.1:1, 30:1, or 40:1 by removing the cover and changing a simple dip switch setting. Raw voltage can also be accessed on the main circuit board on these units.

Hope this helps.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by stirling View Post
    Sorry to resurrect my oldish thread but Jim (Colt) could you clarify a point from your post (quoted below) for me please?

I read it as saying that the Powermax45 and Powermax1650 have identical machine interfaces. More specifically that the divided down arc voltage is the same on the 1650 as the 45 i.e. both have a 50:1 divided down voltage. Is that correct? I'm asking because someone who owns a PM1650 has just told me that his doesn't have a divided down voltage but rather, presents the actual arc voltage at the interface.

Thanks

Ian

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Jim - Thanks so much for your rapid and informative reply (as ever). Perfect.

Cheers

Ian

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Jim - I wonder if you would mind taking a look at the THC page of my site and just check I've got the blerb about the various Hypertherm models correct.

Thanks

Ian

Last edited by stirling; 03-28-2012 at 11:00 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

The link does not work....

Jim

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry Jim - somehow got a double http:// in there. I've edited the link so can you try it now please.

Cheers

Ian

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks good.....however you should add that not all Powermax65/85 systems are equipped with the CPC connector/voltage divider output. It is optional on 65/85's but can easily be field added with kit part number 228696.

Most hand torch system configurations don't have the CPC, most machine torch configurations do.

Jim

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Jim - I've made your suggested changes. Also - is the part number for upgrading the 1000, 1250 and 1650 the same as for upgrading the 65 and 85 i.e. is it 228696?

Thanks

Ian

Downloads
    Uploads

Ian,

I don't believe there is an upgrade for the earlier Powermax1000, 1250 and 1650 units that were not originally not equipped with an internal voltage divider.

Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by stirling View Post
    Thanks Jim - I've made your suggested changes. Also - is the part number for upgrading the 1000, 1250 and 1650 the same as for upgrading the 65 and 85 i.e. is it 228696?

Thanks

Ian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast