finecut settings for 3/16 & 1/8 & 1/4 steel

Thread: finecut settings for 3/16 & 1/8 & 1/4 steel

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default finecut settings for 3/16 & 1/8 & 1/4 steel

hi jim , i have a hypertherm 1250 powermax with hypertherm phc sensor torch height controller, i was wondering if you could give me settings for using finecut consumables to cut these thickneses of steel , 3/16, 1/8, and 1/4 , thanks ,greg

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

The Fine cut consumables are designed for cutting up to 10 ga. steel......so Hypertherm does not offer info for thicknesses beyond that. For cutting 10 ga....which is close to 1/8".....the Hypertherm manual says: 50 amps. 76 arc volts, .08" cut height, .012" pierce height, cut speed 90 inches per minute.

I personally have used the Fine Cut parts on 3/16" and they work well....her is what I have done: 50 Amps, 75 arc voltas, .08" cut height, .015" pierce height, .8 second pierce delay, cut speed about 45 inches per minute.

I do not recommend cutting 1/4" with these parts.

Jim Colt

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default finecut consumables

OKAY THANKS JIM FOR THIS INFORMATION AND ALL THE OTHER TIPS PUT ON THIS AND OTHER SITES.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hi jim thanks for all info , i was wondering if you could tell me how to set pierce delay as my hypertherm phc control box has numbers one to ten and the setting calls for .08 cut height and .015 pierce in cutting 3\16 what would i set it at , thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

To set the pierce delay time turn the pierce delay knob....when adjusting the knob the digital display will read out in seconds....so to set it to .8 seconds turn the knob until it reads .8.

To set the pierce height use the IHS test switch, this function will index the torch to the plate and uses either ohmic contact or stall force to set the pierce height. You then should measure the distance from the torch shield to the plate and either increase or decrease as necessary. To increase pierce height increase the setting on the dial to a higher number. This dial has redundant numbers as the system is designed to be used with a variety of different z axis controls, different torches and different methods of sensing the plate.

Cut height is set with the arc voltage setting knob. A good starting point is the arc voltage setting listed in the Hypertherm plasma manual for the material and power level you will be cutting at. However, it is more important to observe the first cut and adjust the arc voltage knob so the the torch to work distance is correct, regrdless of the voltage reading. Voltage of the arc will vary depending on cut speed, amperage, condition of consumables and plasma air pressure....as well as a few other things. Getting the physical height correct is more important than having the voltage setting match the listings in the manual.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default hypertherm

jim ,that does help , i know its probably in the manual somewhere and i don;t like to take up your time as i can see your busy but manuals aren;t my strong point, thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't mind at all. I did not have that manual anyway....so I downloaded it. The hard drive on this 5 year old laptop has got to be about full of 3 to 5 MB Hypertherm manuals!

Good luck, hope it helps out!

Jim

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: finecut settings for 3/16 & 1/8 & 1/4 steel

I know that this thread is as old as the hills, but I wanted to give some info on cutting 1/4 plate..I used the 40 amp nozzle..220006...130 volts..40 amps...04 kerf...45ipm..It cuts it perfect

I was cutting 1/4 diamond plate..with the diamond placed down on the table..

everything thinner is cut with the finecut tip