Hurricane 60W?

Thread: Hurricane 60W?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Hurricane 60W?

Hello Everyone,

Looking to buy my first laser and was hoping to get some advice/suggestions. The laser I am looking at is the Category 1 Floyd 60W, anyone had any experience with this model? It's right in my price range and I am willing to pay extra for the US support, just want to make sure that it would do everything I need from it.

Main questions are:
    Will it be able to cut up to 1/2" wood and acrylic without scorching?
    Will it cut leather?
    Will it be able to do relatively precise/detailed engraving?
    And finally, does it support CorelDraw? How is the software it comes with?

Thanks for reading, and any help will be greatly appreciated!

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by pcmcc; 04-27-2012 at 10:21 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Main questions are:
    Will it be able to cut up to 1/2" wood and acrylic without scorching?
    Cut yes, cut at an acceptable speed or quality...not a hope

Will it cut leather?
    Yes, any CO2 laser will.(depending how thick) smells bloody aweful though

Will it be able to do relatively precise/detailed engraving?
    "Precise" is a relative term, compared to a hammer and chisel, yes...compared to a Microscan Yag system...no. A hammer and chisel is $10 and a Microscan is $500,000. A chinese made laser is somewhere in the middle of those

as to the last question...I'm sure hurricane will be along soon

best wishes

Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a 60w charley model. and it doesn pretty good on detail in my opinion. I am happy with the machine now that i have it running pretty smoothly.

And will say Hurricane went beyond what I would say most companies would do to help me and resolve any problems I had.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the responses so far. Another question - how loud will this machine be and how bad would the fumes be? Realistically I will mostly be cutting 1/16" - 1/8" wood and acrylic.

Initially I had planned on doing this as more of a hobby from home, and then scaling up if it took off, but reading some advice on other forums makes this sound like a bad idea. For a bit more info if operating from home, I am in a townhouse and would be running it in the spare bedroom on the second floor and venting out a window. I would have a fire extinguisher present and would absolutely never leave the laser while it was running. Could this be a workable situation, or should I really be looking at leasing some sort of studio/workspace, even for initial experiments?

Thanks again for the help.

Downloads
    Uploads

Depends on how tolerant your neighbours are and how vociferously city ordinances are enforced.
    Wood , leather and acrylic all have objectional smells/fumes and venting outa a window might leave your neighbours rather pissed off.
    You could run a PVC pipe to the rooftop if possible and vent about 10 ft higher or get a fume scrubber. Biggest problem might be your lease , as you knw lasers are major fire hazards and when cutting can easily set stuff alight if you not attentive , your landlord would have to give permission for you to use one which is unlikely (If I were a landlord I wouldn't).
    Laser itself is not noisy , the air assist pumps and exhaust system is.
    Perhaps if your complex has a garage separate from the residential area you could hire this and operate out of it with less hassles.