Problem Hurco VM1 Power Supply

Thread: Hurco VM1 Power Supply

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Hurco VM1 Power Supply

I have a 2007 Hurco VM1 (VM1-06013116CHA) in my shop that will loose power momentarily while machining (and/or sitting idle) and then restart normally with no error codes displayed. We have documented for the past 4-5 weeks that it only occurs on Mondays and Wednesdays around 11am. The machine typically will shut down 2-3 times within a 15 minute span and run fine all other times. Believing it is a power issue, I had an electrician come in to take a look and the only thing he could find was the transformer electrical was not bonded properly. The power supply for this machine was replaced in 2019. What might be causing this power failure and restart and why is it so consistent?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Hurco VM1 Power Supply

I have seen something like this happen with two different machines, one in Canada and one in Pennsylvania

In the Canada case it was only affecting one machine causing random servo drive trips The problem was a big plywood lathe at a mill across the river from the plant I was trying to troubleshoot. The plywood lathe had DC injection braking on about a 300HP motor. It was causing a spike on the power grid in the area. The plywood mill and the plant I was working on were over a mile apart and on different substations. I figured out what was happening when I put a scope on the main power, the 480V power was spiking to 1600V for about 30 milliseconds. Once I found that, I then started making some enquiries. Not sure how they resolved that one, it was above my pay grade.

The one in Pennsylvania, was a similar problem. At 7AM every morning only the machine I was trouble shooting would go down. Found that one with a scope also. Turns out the Harley Davidson factory down the road turned on their blower system on at 7AM every morning, and it killed my machine. This was again around a 300 HP motor.

Since your problem seems to be consistent on Mondays and Wednesdays, take a look at the main power with a scope. If you see a problem, then start checking around your own facility and with the neighbors and see if you can track down something that is happening on the power grid at that time.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the reply Jim. I plan to contact our local utility to determine if something is happening external to our building since there does not appear to be anything within our facility that we can pinpoint. Great forum to ask the question since there are guys like you out there that may have have seen the issue previously or know more about Hurco's CNC's than I do. My only other thought was if there is a timer/clock built into the machine's power supply that might cause the issue.

Downloads
    Uploads

My pleasure to help out where I can. I don't know much about Hurco's specifically, but I'm pretty sure there is no timer in the power supply I spent about 20 years traveling the world solving strange problems like this.

Please let us know what you find when you are able to track down the problem.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA