Need Help! Familiar with a Hurco Hawk 5?

Thread: Familiar with a Hurco Hawk 5?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Familiar with a Hurco Hawk 5?

I picked up a Hurco Hawk 5D knee mill and I'm most of the way through the process of retrofitting it with a modern CNC system. (Centroid CNC with DMM controllers and motors)
    It only came with some programming manuals and I have managed to scrounge some incomplete wiring and general manuals but it really isn't enough.

Current "problem"...
    - It appears to have an oil lubrication system (not cutting lubricant) and I have no information on it. Is it supposed to run "full time" when machine is in operation or is it an "intermittent", "scheduled" or "lube when starting" system?
    - What kind of oil should it use?
    - Does anyone have any documentation on the system? (Or documentation on the care and feeding of the machine in general?)

To me it appears to be a way better starting point for an updated CNC mill compared to a Bridgeport and I'm really looking forward to actually being able to start making chips!

---------------------
    Also if anyone knows of a good online marketplace to sell some of the removed components that would help too!

Thanks
    Wayne

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Familiar with a Hurco Hawk 5?

Figured some pictures would be of value as I'd assume that other machines have similar equipment.

The info plate on the top of it has degraded into mostly illegibility. ????

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Familiar with a Hurco Hawk 5?-oiling-side-512-jpg   Familiar with a Hurco Hawk 5?-oiling-info-plate-347-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

KM3 uses a similar looking oiler. One shot at a time about every 15 min under program control in my case. Some new ones have timers as I recall. There are assorted discussions on the net regarding these lubricators and the types of malfunctions. My impression is that if you get things clean and working they go for a long time. If yours won't cleanup and work, replacements are not expensive. Vactra #2 is probably the oil you should use. Any oil is better than no oil though. These things are generic enough that there is a wealth of info out there.

Downloads
    Uploads

It looks like there is a timer in the electrical box on that one. A couple of ways you could do it. Run the lube system anytime the control power is on, this is the way I have mine set up. Or, run the lube system only when the spindle is on, I'm thinking about rewiring mine to do this. Sometimes I forget to hit the E-stop on mine when done for the day, and it will pump out all of the lube over a couple of days or so.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sitzme View Post
    KM3 uses a similar looking oiler. One shot at a time about every 15 min under program control in my case. Some new ones have timers as I recall. There are assorted discussions on the net regarding these lubricators and the types of malfunctions. My impression is that if you get things clean and working they go for a long time. If yours won't cleanup and work, replacements are not expensive. Vactra #2 is probably the oil you should use. Any oil is better than no oil though. These things are generic enough that there is a wealth of info out there.
    HA! (eureka?)
    With that gem of information I found this: https://www.hurco.com/en-us/support/...0r0211-211.pdf
    On page 3-7 and 3-8 (pg97 and 98) I found an exact description. 3cc of lube every 15 minutes! The picture is very very similar to my pump. The plastic cylinder covering the plunger is cracked on mine so I'll need to find or make a replacement.

There are so many little details on these machines. The farther I jump in the more I find.
    Once I solve this and figure out exactly how I want the VFD programmed I should be able to start learning to use it.
    The Hawk 5 really seems like a great machine for a modern CNC retrofit as it is really close to a "bolt on" to put modern AC servos on it and it already has a lot of the stuff that people buy upgrades for on other knee mills.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well an update for anyone else trying to learn about these machines....
    - The Chen Ying CES 15 oiler has a broken cover that isn't replaceable so the key thing is a replacement that provides the specified 3 CCs of oil every 15 minutes. Direct replacements are pretty expensive. After a lot of searching I found a good replacement with a reduced price because they were mislabeled as 220V but are actually 110V. Digitally programmable replacements seem to be commonly available in the $80 range but these were in the mid $40 range. The tubing connection to the new pump uses the same 1/8" compression fitting so you can just connect the original tubing to the new pump. I wanted to retain the original pump's pressure gauge which screws into a fitting with an 1/8th" compression fitting on one end and 1/8th" pipe thread on the other. To connect the two I used a simple 1/8th compression to 1/8th pipe fitting because the male thread of the fitting matches the female thread provided on the pump. An extremely short section of tubing with the compression bead on it provides the seal.

- Did a search for recommended way oils and the most recent documentation from Hurco seems to be in the "Field Service Bulletin" from 1997 (FSBINDEX.DOC Revised May 9, 1997) I also found a Word Doc on Hurco's site but it struck me as a bit more general. (https://www.hurco.com/en-us/support/...Lubricants.doc)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Familiar with a Hurco Hawk 5?-new-oiler-mounted-344-jpg   Familiar with a Hurco Hawk 5?-new-oiler-connection-438-jpg   Familiar with a Hurco Hawk 5?-way-oils-jpg   Familiar with a Hurco Hawk 5?-recomended-lubricants-jpg