Setting part zero in center of round parts.

Thread: Setting part zero in center of round parts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Setting part zero in center of round parts.

I'm fairly new with CNC and curious as to any tricks others have to setting part zero in a round part. On my Bridgeport mill I could find an edge and set zero and then find the other side and had a button on the DRO to divide that new number in half and then set it as zero. Then repeat the process for the other axis. I find I have to do a lot of external calculations to do the same things on my Ultimax control.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Setting part zero in center of round parts.

I would say the most common method would be to mount a dial / coaxial indicator in the spindle ... in a collet ... clamped to a tool holder ... whatever ... and sweep the round part.
    Like this :

Check out our Real World Machine Shop software at Kentech Inc. - Creators of Kipware® Real World Machine Shop Software | Kentech Inc.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Setting part zero in center of round parts.

Depends on how much precision you need. I have better results when flipping parts swinging and centering via an indicator. I have a 3d taster but my results of hitting concentricity on a flipped round part for the second OP has been less than stellar with it.