Can someone tell me more about this Hurco mill?

Thread: Can someone tell me more about this Hurco mill?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Can someone tell me more about this Hurco mill?

This CNC mill is for sale and not running. Looks pretty old. Seller says they just don't want to scrap it. What should I be looking at to make sure I don't buy something that's not practical to get going? I had considered buying a import mill and adding motors for CNC but this would already have a lot of the needed conversion items in place if serviceable. Realize I may need to replace the controls and possibly the motor controls and motors although the less of that the better. Don't have 3 phase so a VFD to run the spindle motor from single phase will be one thing. I have some limited experience with mills and cnc and pretty good electrically and mechanically. Electrical engineer. Don't need a super precision machine but also don't want a dog that I have to struggle to get and keep running with lots of slop.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can someone tell me more about this Hurco mill?-hurcomill-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Can someone tell me more about this Hurco mill?

For scrap price take

tadasdan@gmail.com
    +37060022992

Downloads
    Uploads

Could you use a few more words? Do you mean you will take it for scrap price or that it is a good deal that I should take? What is scrap price? Some price/lb I think but I don't know the current rate.

Downloads
    Uploads

Look price metal for one ton if it is not working you can sell to scrap yard.
    800e-1100e depends on weight

tadasdan@gmail.com
    +37060022992

Downloads
    Uploads

Am told this is an SM1 CNC.

Still would like some help with details of the machine - basic size of work envelope, type of axis motors, availability of documentation, feasibility of using the existing control or cost effective retrofit, etc, etc. Does it have a port that I can drip feed gcode from another pc or some way to get gcode files into it? I could probably build a punch tape emulator if it comes to that.

Downloads
    Uploads

From the picture, the machine frame looks to be a 3V (V-ways) or 4V (box ways) with a fixed head ram. 10 x 52 table, about 13 x 32 travel, 5'' of Z quill travel, and about 16'' of knee travel. Equipped with what looks like an Ericson #30 quick change tooling system. The servo motor on the Z axis appears to be a SEM brushed DC, can't see the others. The spindle motor looks like a 3 or 4 HP driving a standard 2J2 variable speed pulley system. The machine weighs about 3500 lbs or so.

There are many options for a retrofit, from really cheap to crazy expensive. I would absolutely upgrade the computer and CNC software with modern stuff. The DC drives can be reused if they are working OK. I use them on two machines but would replace them with modern hardware at the first sign of problems.

It's up to you to check for wear and backlash in the axes and over all mechanical condition. I do normally buy machines like that at near scrap price. From a CNC retrofit perspective, the hard mechanical work has already been done, the controls are the easy and inexpensive part.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Jim! And good to hear from you again. Wanted at least 12" of Y travel so that fits the bill. I have been building a 30 x 40 shop building and not quite ready for a project machine but ran across this. Might just have to put it in the corner for next winters project. When you say near scrap, how near scrap are we talking. I just looked up scrap steel price at $78 a ton. That would be about $200. Thinking it must be more than that. If mechanically it looks reasonably good what would you consider a fair price?
    Transporting it is another matter but I have some contacts with equipment. How hard is it to take the head and other large parts off to make some easier to handle pieces?

Downloads
    Uploads

My pleasure.

On that machine I might pay $1000 to $2000 depending on condition. Just to put this in perspective, I paid $1000 for my Eagle, about the same machine and it was in excellent mechanical shape with a tired controller. I also have a Shizuoka AN-S sitting in my shop and that one was purchased for $1500, also mechanically excellent but no controls at all.

I would not take the head off to transport, it's possible of course, but really makes no sense to do it. I think on that machine you would have to either slide the ram out or remove it at the turret. I normally lift the machines from the ram, and with a 30x40 shop that will work well.

like this
    Can someone tell me more about this Hurco mill?-img_0585-jpg

You really need a buy a forklift, at least 5000 lbs capacity, no shop should be without one. First thing I bought after I bought my property, also makes a great adjustable height workbench I paid $500 for mine.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can someone tell me more about this Hurco mill?-img_0585-jpg  
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

$500 for a fork lift is a steal in my book. I had a tractor with loader. Handy but could only handle 750 lbs as I recall. No longer have that as I sold the larger land. Now I need to get something to lift things...

Downloads
    Uploads

Just keep an eye on your local Craigslist, that's where I find a lot of my stuff. Sometimes you can find some really good deals.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Just looked and there is a hyster 5000 lb for $990 that looks clean and not beat up. who knows what condition or hours. All the rest are around $4500. All used. Makes me wonder what the difference is...

Downloads
    Uploads

Best guess is the that seller is the difference. The seller of mine wanted $1000, I got it for $500.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim27 View Post
    ........................ Wanted at least 12" of Y travel so that fits the bill. ................................................ what would you consider a fair price? ................................................ How hard is it to take the head and other large parts off to make some easier to handle pieces?
    That's a SM-1 ( ie Small Mill) which was the predecessor to the KM series ( ie Knee Mill) and dates around 1980 ( KM starts 1985 ?)
    They are physically very close with 13 "Y and 24 " X ~ travel and the spindle would be a Kwik Switch 200 series I believe.
    Yes it weighs about 3500 pounds or more. and the Iron is pretty much the same, it's the control that was really upgraded to Ultimax
    When I bought my KM 3 , it would not fit in the shop door so I removed the Ram and the Table. Using a fork lift with a pallet , I approached the front of the mill with the raised pallet and extended the ram onto the pallet . Be prepared to disconnect Lube Lines,Air Lines and Electrical lines that are inside the Ram ! They need to be cut or disconnected. ( get some 4 mm Tygon tubing connectors ) . To remove the table , remove the servo and fasten it to the column, then remove the bearings caps , and slide the table off -Leave the ballscrew - its easy to spin it L or R to be out of the way . To remove it , you must also remove the Y axis because of the Nuts , otherwise you will damage the Y axis.
    To move it around the shop, I had a 6,000 # pallet jack. A 4,000 # jack was too small and unsteady
    The base of the column has a coolant pit and pump. Be careful cleaning it out- bacteria growth in a dormant mill is deadly - I know the hard way
    Rich