VMX30 and BMC3017 question

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VMX30 and BMC3017 question

Downloads
    Uploads

Default VMX30 and BMC3017 question

Hey guys. Iv been doing some searching around but cant quite find what im looking for so hopefully you guys can help

I have a chance to purchase a pretty nice VMX30 and also BMC3017 for a pretty cheap price. The BMC30 i believe is in the 2000 model year range but im not sure on the VMX. newer i think

Both machines have the 2 screen console that says Ultimax on them

The issue is for certain reasons the CPU computer side has been removed. (the aluminum box in the lower left corner of the control cabinet.

The VMX still has the cage and a few things plugged in but all the cards have been removed. looks like 8 or so slots are empty with some ribbon cables hanging

the BMC is a little worse with the entire cage and everything taken out. Just connectors hanging. Everything else in the cabinets are untouched

If i get these machines what are the chances of finding / getting the computer parts to get them up and running? and what am i even looking for?

Thanks in advance

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: VMX30 and BMC3017 question

If the machines are in good mechanical shape both of those sound like good candidates for a complete controls retrofit. There are quite a few options available.

Some pictures of the motors (data plates), and whatever is left in the panels would help us to help you.

Buy them for scrap price or less.

Last edited by Jim Dawson; 02-08-2019 at 02:44 AM.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

For the VMX30 if the cage is there you can get w winmax upgrade kit for it for around 9000-10000 dollars, comes with all the cards except a IOIF card.

For the if no rack or even with the rack it is not upgrade-able, so it is a good for a control retrofit.

Downloads
    Uploads

Alright thanks for the help guys. This machine will be used in a home hobby shop setting with no real production work. There is also a bmc40 that has been left to rust away that i can probably get my hands on also. This machine has the computer in the cabinet un touched but the drives look different than the Yaskawa drives in the VMX30. If i got ahold of both could i use the computer out of the BMC40 in the VMX30? The aluminum cage looks the same between both. They both also have the same Ultimax console.

What kind of retrofits are people doing to these machines?

Appreciate the help guys. Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

The short answer is: Maybe. If you have all of the documentation for both systems, and have CNC controls repair/service experience then you might have a chance at getting it to work. The odds of different machine control systems being a direct bolt-in are small.

There are a number of retrofit options. Centroid products would be worth a look. There is also Mach3/4, LinuxCNC, Camsoft. Controller hardware could be Dynomotion, Mesa, Galil.

The first thing I would do is choose the one machine that is mechanically good, and then take an inventory of what parts are left of the controls, motors, and drives. After that choose a control system that is most compatible with the hardware that is existing.

The machine with the Yaskawa drives (and hopefully motors) might be the best choice, at least the documentation might be available for them. Replacing motors and drives is not out of the question, there are a lot of options available. DMM or Clearpath motors would be good possibilities.

The success of this operation is going to be dependant on your budget, experience, and the mechanical condition of the machine.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

It could be done if the computer works. If it is one of the old ones that has CPU back plane, I forget what mother board it is. It may have a dead battery that may or may not be replaceable depending on your skills. Not ever really sure it would work. If the motion board it self is bad then it is out of the question 9000.00 to replace it, MX4 motion boards are really hard to find on ebay.
    If you could pick up the VMX30 for 5000 or less Putting another 10000 in would not even be a question. you would have a great machine for the price of a tormach or a novakon. depending on the year model it will have 10Krpm or 12Krpm spindle.

But all this would depend on what shape the machine is in mechanically how are the ball screws and bearings, what shape are the linear rails in. What about the servo drives and spindle drive. get the spindle drive repaired it is about 2500-2800 per section inverter and converter, Servo drives cot 800 to 1400 to get repaired. what about the console is it in good shape? If i knew the machine was good other than the parts missing in the hurco rack i would go for it. but if not could be 15,000- 20,000 to get it running, at that point start looking start looking for a used machine that runs.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well guys i managed to win both machines in the auction. I have not got them home yet. all scheduled for the next couple weeks. I was able to win both machines for less than 1000$ each. I think im off to a good start Im hoping i can find the right pieces to the puzzle to get them up and running. thanks for all the replys

Downloads
    Uploads

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

does anyone happen to be running one of these off a rotary phase converter? I currently run my makino leblonde rmc55 off of a phase converter but it first goes through a transformer to take 240 down to 200v so it moderates the wild leg pretty well. I know you dont want the wild leg on the control side. Just curious what size phase converter i would need to run these guys. I wont be pushing these things hard at all. just home hobby stuff.

Downloads
    Uploads

What's the total HP?

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Cool deal.
    post pictures of the control cabinet and the rack. I can tell you what is missing and what you will need for the VMX. post the control consoles as well.
    You can run them off a phase converter just fine. just get the voltage under 240. You can do that with a buck/boost transformer The generated leg will not be a big deal you just land that one on the leg that
    the control transformer is not on.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by powerr View Post
    Cool deal.
    post pictures of the control cabinet and the rack. I can tell you what is missing and what you will need for the VMX. post the control consoles as well.
    You can run them off a phase converter just fine. just get the voltage under 240. You can do that with a buck/boost transformer The generated leg will not be a big deal you just land that one on the leg that
    the control transformer is not on.
    aweome thank you for the help. Here are a few pics of the vmx. I will get better pics when i get them home I appreciate the help! i will keep you updated

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    What's the total HP?
    the back gold label of the bmc shows full load as 20kva , largest motor 11.2 kva

i didnt get a picture of the vmx but i remember is being very close. they dont say anything about HP on the back label

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VMX30 and BMC3017 question-img_20190207_142921-jpg   VMX30 and BMC3017 question-img_20190207_142927-jpg   VMX30 and BMC3017 question-img_20190207_142934-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Well here is what you are missing
    Matrix MX4 motion board-9000.00 No longer sold
    Can buss controller - not sure of the price. over 1000.00
    CPU board -2375.00
    Video card -680.00
    floppy drive interface card. Not sure of the price
    hard drive -700.00
    power supply - 1045.00

Big thing here is the motion board. they are really hard to find. I am not sure if it is made any more, canbuss controller, only source is hurco, CPU you can find on ebay Peak715 with celeron or pentium4 2.8GHz, Video card jaton PCI228 they are hard to find too.
    Hurco winmax upgrade roughly 10-12000 installed. you will get the latest winmax Ver9 software and what ever software options are tied to that machine serial number. will come with every thing that is needed to rebuild the rack, a new board for the console and touch screen.
    but you may need more like remote jog, and screens if they are in the console.

Downloads
    Uploads

o lord i am missing a few things haha. Do you happen to have any pics of what everything is supposed to look like complete?

Thanks for the help

Downloads
    Uploads

VMX30 and BMC3017 question-3769ab82-332d-4ab7-919c-1d45f8d809a8-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Yep that is what it looks like with a peak777 CPU board.
    Bloke
    What are you guys using for video cards in the ultimax systems? we can hardly find the Jaton PCI 228 in the states.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well both machines made it home and the old forklift did its job once again. They are offloaded and on the ground. I plan to get both up and running (assuming i can find what i need) and keep 1 and sell 1. im not sure which one yet

The place i got them is rounding up any manuals or service records they have on them so i can take a look and at least see what has been done to them.

Once step at a time.

The VMX30 is a year 2001 and the BMC30 is a year 2000

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VMX30 and BMC3017 question-img_20190320_192740-jpg   VMX30 and BMC3017 question-img_20190320_192755-jpg   VMX30 and BMC3017 question-img_20190320_192805-jpg   VMX30 and BMC3017 question-img_20190321_191256-jpg  

VMX30 and BMC3017 question-img953959-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Did you get the consoles for them?

Downloads
    Uploads

I don’t know yet. We still have Jatons at the minute...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by powerr View Post
    Did you get the consoles for them?
    The BMC Has the entire complete console. It was just removed for moving purposes.

The VMX has most of the console. It was taken apart and the 2 screens removed from it. I still havent had a chance to sit down and go through whats there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast