BMC30 no response when start button is pushed in

Thread: BMC30 no response when start button is pushed in

Downloads
    Uploads

Default BMC30 no response when start button is pushed in

The machine is a BMC30 ultimax3 from 1997 with Siemens drives.

After failure of the power unit (atx type since 15 years), I replaced it with a similar type delivering the same voltages; +12,2V 4.88V -12V 24V (they can't be set).
    When starting up all goes well untill the start button is to be pushed in. When pushed no motor sounds appear, only a slight relais-switching sound in the electronics cabinet(relais ALR and FOR are switched on). Then 3 relais led's are lighted COR , ALR and For on the control relay board.
    Trying to jog or turn the spindle on, only results in error messages and switching off of the control power.
    Reseating and/or repositioning of any cards does not change anything. Several cards I have duplicates of and with them installed the result is the same. No end-switches are active.

I have run out of ideas what to do next.

Any suggestions please.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: BMC30 no response when start button is pushed in

Press manual
    Press and hold in the power button (keep holding it)
    Press start (still holding power)
    Try and jog it (keep holding in the power button)

Does it work now?

Downloads
    Uploads

No, I just tried what you suggested: the moment I try to jog it in any of the axis (holding on to the power button), the control switches off and reports a "following error on axis .."
    Afterwards I can't select any of the axis without first pressing the emergency button and pressing the power button again etc.
    The relay-leds on the control relay board lighted after pressing "start" are COR, AER and ALR.
    The FOR led lights up when the pump is activated and runs.

Downloads
    Uploads

The 24v supply may not be adequate to drive the relays which enable the drives amongst other things, modern power supply's only produce a limited amount of power because it is only used to power the rs232 port if fitted which only needs 100ma or so. Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

When trying to make the spindle turn, control power is cut off and the message is "Spindle fault agree signal failure".
    The same with calibrate pressed: "encoder fault on axis Z" appears.

Downloads
    Uploads

Besides the new atx power unit, I also installed a new 24V/10amps power supply. That drives the various vents and valves it does switch on. It should have enough left for those relays.

Downloads
    Uploads

There is a link through for all the axis limit switches. There is a third channel that runs through all three swtches that will detect an overrun past the + & - switches and will stop the servos being enabled. Because this switch is never tripped during normal running, it gets corroded and the contacts fail. If you can open the cabinet, take a picture of the two long terminal strips inside, I can tell you how to link out the troublesome contacts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Managed to get a hold of all three limit switches today. Each can be manually activated and the result is the same: when the + or - switch is pressed the screen shows a notice that says the limitswitch is active. When I press the third switch the control power is cut off. After letting go of the switches the notice(s) disappear and control power can be restored.

Downloads
    Uploads

I wonder if you have a problem with the I/R module. Does it produce 600VDC across the buss bars between the servo and spindle modules?

Downloads
    Uploads

Problem solved!

The problem was the proper seating of the #1 fuse on the relay board; since #1 has a split/broken plastic cap, this cap can rotate around the fuse and locking the fuse in its seat is a bit of a hassle; the screwdriver slot on top can point in any direction. You can't tell if its locked or not. Obviously it was not. I just pressed on it and the motors started up. The spindle turns and the axis move.

Remains one more question. In the process of problemsolving the harddisk was formatted and reloaded. There were two files on the C-section of the hdd that are not on the floppy disks; Tooloff.set and workoff.set .
    The software is V1.64. Are these files needed and if so does anyone have them?

Many thanks for your help. Charles

Downloads
    Uploads

No. The control will regenerate them as required. They are not loaded as files on a new hard drive.