I got a new HURCO KMB1 - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: I got a new HURCO KMB1

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: I got a new HURCO KMB1

Quote Originally Posted by 123CNC View Post
    I didn't know any of the KMB1's had 5 hp spindle motors. Is it an NMTB -40 taper spindle?
    My KMB1 has a Leland 5HP motor, but Hurco calls it a 4HP machine. Mine has the same Kwik 200 spindle nose as many others.

Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Bob for the info.on your machine do you know anything about the servo drives I have posted pics of ?

Downloads
    Uploads

I do not know much about the servo drives you selected. At the time I retrofit my machine I only studied the Gecko G320X drives, the Dugong drives, and the Viper Drives. I dismissed the Dungongs due to availability at the time and some negative comments by users. I chose the Gecko Drives primarily due to price, but also because they worked with single ended encoders so I could run the encoders that were already on my servo motors or run the AMT-102-V encoder which was so cheap if I had a problem with mine. As it turns out the 102V is physically too small to fit on the Electrocraft servo motors, so I wound up using USD-E6 1000 line encoders. AS it turns out I could have used the E5s just as well. The G320X encoders worked ok, and I can run my machine at 150ipm under nearly any loads. As it turns out I may be able to run them faster. I'm in the middle of an upgrade, but as soon as I finish it I'll test again. The current limit pot raises the current limit by turning the pot COUNTER CLOCKWISE. LOL. All this time I've had my servo drivers set fully clockwise. LOL. I do have to mention that I tested the machine at speeds upto 250IPM, but turned it down to 150 for reliability.

Another thing to think about with regard to line count depending on your PC interface is acceleration. I think some motion control combinations struggle with higher line count encoders at high speeds. I am running 1000 line encoders. With 5 IPM leads that's 20,000 lines per inch. That's a theoretical resolution of 0.00005". The mechanical parts are nowhere near that good. Running all three axis in a rapid generates a lot of pulses for your controller to handle and it won't be any more accurate. My machine originally had 300 line encoders. That's 6000 lines or a theoretical resolution of about 0.00017. That's still better than the mechanical bits. If I knew then what I know now I might have gone with a something like 500 lines instead of 1000, and I think my machine might have been able to manage much faster rapids. (Well, that and turning up the current limit. LOL) Getting back tot he beginning of this paragraph. I think reducing the pulse stream might also help with higher acceleration rates without faulting. If you are doing a lot of detailed complex 3D work like I am acceleration makes more difference in job time than high rapid speeds.

Bob La Londe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

He's got plenty of headroom with the Vital to run 14bit and most likely 16bit (just over 65000 ppr) encoders without any issues up to perhaps 3000rpms (probably more). That's why you spend the big bucks on a controller like that (my CS Labs will apparently take 6mhz of data, per channel, or 16 bit encoder resolution at around 5000 rpms, so I expect the Vital is not far off from that) . If you are getting faults, you have to go back and see what the following error numbers are and adjust them to something reasonable. You can't have a following error max of 10 with 16 bit encoders. If you have that kind of encoder resolution, you can set the following error much higher and it's still equivalent to a lower number with less resolution. The advantage is that the controller will have more data for trajectory correction and will perform those corrections better. Acceleration should not be affected by more data, since the controller is capable of taking that kind of data without problems.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tfuqua63 View Post
    The Hardware was delivered yesterday and already ran into a snag. I have single ended quadrature encoders and I need differential quadrature encoders I have to convert the ones I have so I contacted US Digital and have the parts on the way. I think I have this part figured out as to how the encoders are wired to the break out board, should be an easy project.

Now I have been trying to figure out how to wire the servo drives, the ones on my mill are FET servo drives there are seven wires to connect for each axis plus the 2 wires that power each axis.

I need help to figure out where these wires need to go on the break out board there are two pairs with a black and clear and one with a black,clear and white. I believe one pair will connect to the tach but not for sure any help here would be greatly appreciated I have attached some images hopefully this will help

[/ATTACH]Attachment 260452Attachment 260454Attachment 260456Attachment 260458.Attachment 260460
    Once again does anyone have a wiring diagram or drawings for these servo amps ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 123CNC View Post
    I didn't know any of the KMB1's had 5 hp spindle motors. Is it an NMTB -40 taper spindle?

Yes, you can find an encoder that meets your mechanical mounting reuirements, for example 1/4" shaft and screws or glued to motor, and electronic requirements. I didn't look it up, just a guess interpretation of the model number, 1000 counts per revolution, 5 signals a, a', b, b', and z or index.

Once you address the encoder, I would keep the servos and drives and look at Mesa Electronics for hardware interface to your axis drives and controls. I would go with LinuxCNC, but you could use Mach 3 as well.

There are of course lots of other hardware options to provide you that bridge from the PC and controls software to your machine components. It is most probable your servo drives are analog commanded and rely on the 'controller' side to respond to the error or position feedback from your encoders. That is why I recommended Mesa and the LinuxCNC approach. So when you start looking for an interface, look for hardware capable of outputting an analog command if you would like to retrain your drives.

I know this is an old thread, but I must have missed it when it was new. I found it was a lot easier to eliminate the old Randtronics controllers than to work with them. I approached it as sort of a complete retrofit and saved very little of the old electronics.

As to the spindle motor. I got the original manual with my KMB1 and it said it was a 4HP machine, but the data plate on the Leland motor clearly says 5HP. I'm pretty sure the motor is original. I don't run those kinds of loads on it since I am running it on single phase. I set my FS software at 3HP for that machine and try to run less.

Bob La Londe

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234