Another Hurco KMB-1 converstion (this time in Sunnyvale, CA) - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Hurco KMB-1 converstion (this time in Sunnyvale, CA)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Another Hurco KMB-1 converstion (this time in Sunnyvale, CA)

I know this is an old post but I have this exact machine that I would like to modernize the controls but I am hesitant because I do not have any electrical schematics and once I start taking things apart I do not want to get lost in the spaghetti wiring mess. is there anyone out there willing to email me the wiring schematics? Once I am done with my controls design I will return the favor and post my wiring DWGs and my BOM.
    thanks,
    Nathan

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Nathan,
    Sorry about the late response... I got 90% through with this project and then I stalled with "other stuff." However, it has bugged me for a long time and I have been wanting to finish up. All I really need to do for phase 1 is to finish off the limit switch integration, tune the servos, perform the LinuxCNC setup. OK, that might be more than 10%, LOL. Anyhow, subsequent phases will be:

1. Creating an enclosure for the display, keyboard, etc
    2. Integration of a pendant
    3. Mounting and wiring of a 4th and 5th axis
    4. installing an encoder by the spindle brake (idea being for rigid tapping)

But, just getting the machine back to a functioning state will be a huge plus for me... I need to get photos, etc, up in this post. FWIW, the new wiring is *soooo* much cleaner! Most of the schematic fits on a single page too. I need to check it though. I think it is accurate but....)

Maybe we can help keep each other motivated!
    Alan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you know how to send a private message send me your email and I would be happy to work with you to get both machines going. Only difference is I plan to use Mach3 but this does not matter that much!
    Nathan
    QUOTE=MrMetric;2121212]Hi Nathan,
    Sorry about the late response... I got 90% through with this project and then I stalled with "other stuff." However, it has bugged me for a long time and I have been wanting to finish up. All I really need to do for phase 1 is to finish off the limit switch integration, tune the servos, perform the LinuxCNC setup. OK, that might be more than 10%, LOL. Anyhow, subsequent phases will be:

1. Creating an enclosure for the display, keyboard, etc
    2. Integration of a pendant
    3. Mounting and wiring of a 4th and 5th axis
    4. installing an encoder by the spindle brake (idea being for rigid tapping)

But, just getting the machine back to a functioning state will be a huge plus for me... I need to get photos, etc, up in this post. FWIW, the new wiring is *soooo* much cleaner! Most of the schematic fits on a single page too. I need to check it though. I think it is accurate but....)

Maybe we can help keep each other motivated!
    Alan[/QUOTE]

Downloads
    Uploads

Will do, although I want to be sure that more important milestones are also published to the thread. I'm a firm believer in getting information out there for the benefit of all. Of course, it is all without warranty, with zero liability, etc. Nobody should use anything we write about without confirming that it works for them and that they understand everything completely. In other words, we are just spit balling a bunch of ideas and don't know diddly!

Anyhow, no giant difference between LinuxCNC and Mach. Someplace I have a license for Mach3, actually, but I am keeping my original servos, etc. To me, LinuxCNC was a better way to go. I do/have done hardware and software for a living and I want to eventually do a custom front end for Linux that is far deeper an integration than Mach will allow me to do. That is in preparation for doing a retrofit on a different machine that is substantially more difficult than the Hurco.

Anyhow, I'll shoot you an email in a bit.

Alan

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm selling this machine, if someone is interested. Never quite finished it, but it is very very very close. I've integrated a Vista P4 pendant with hard wired estop, etc. It is all very sweet. The machine was laid out to support 5 axis and the connectors are all in but the wiring for the other two axis is not. A presetter has been installed too. Everything is fully documented in schematics (although Draftsight's latest update is crashing on my files, but that is just a bug on their part).

There is some work to still be done. I've designed a full console for it, but I've not figured out how to engrave it yet. So, that is a todo. The Y axis tuning is also a little off and that needs to be revisited. Then there is testing, etc, but that isn't the biggest deal in the world.

This has been a super interesting project that has take way way way too long. It ended up getting pushed to the background while raising a family and doing other stuff. But it will be a sweet machine. The big question is why am I selling it. Well, a Dyna DM4400M became available and I decided to get that. Truthfully, the iron on that is better than the Hurco, but the latter is still very good. It was a tough decision, really, because I'm more than happy with the Hurco. And, frankly, the Hurco is almost done and will probably have a better control setup when it is. Hmmm, am I convincing myself to go back? No. The Dyna has a toolchanger and that sounds fun for an ADD tool addict too. Like I really need that (sigh).

Anyhow, I'm basically selling the machine for the retrofit parts, which include a Vector VFD. It is $1800 or so. It is really pretty simple. I can strip off the enclosure and keep that easily enough too, so that is kind of my basement price. And if someone really wants just the Hurco (no control... so minus one cabinet), I'll sell that for $400, including motors and some other goodies. I have a forklift and can help load onto a *low* trailer. The reason being is that I'm at the weight limit for the lift, so I cannot lift it high. That price is really just the scrap value of the machine and some usage of time. If you're nice, I may throw in something I don't know. I have a LOT of kwik switch tooling which I'll sell separately as it is easily shipped/sold on eBay, but I could throw a piece or two your way to get you going.

As you might be able to tell, I'm trying to make this attractive to someone because I really do have a lot of sentimental attachment to this machine. I'd like to see it go to a good home, not be melted down. But, after a long time considering the concept, I think the Dyna is probably a better way for me to go, so the Hurco is out, one way or the other.... What I cannot do is ship the machine. So it is a pickup in Sunnyvale, CA affair....

Drop me a line if you are interested!
    Alan

P.S. At some point I hope to make schematics available to people. These would be no warranty, no liability type things. They are in DWG format because I was too lazy to draw all the custom components in a real schematic capture system. If there isn't any interest there, though, I'll not clean them up and publish them.

Last edited by MrMetric; 08-16-2019 at 12:55 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12