Build Thread Hurco KMB1 upgrade - Page 5

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Hurco KMB1 upgrade

Default Re: Hurco KMB1 upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by FannBlade View Post
    New updates. Planning on going with Cetroid Acorn controller.

Nice. Looking forward to your results.

Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Ultimately I've taken my KMB1 back to its original (more or less) retrofit state. I'd greatly benefit from a faster spindle. Of course I can slap a companion spindle on it, but that's not a real answer. I've got three small Speedmaster mills with 24K spindles for the majority of my high speed machining. I'd just like to bump the spindle speed on the Hurco up a bit. Its fine when I am roughing steel, but most of the time I am cutting aluminum. 3600rpm is like riding a snail. I think the spindle could take a lot more, but I'm not so sure about the motor. Its got an old Leland 5HP 4 pole motor and the mill manual derates it to 4HP. Seems reasonable. Its running a 3.7kw spindle off single phase, and I just set all my calculations to a max of 3HP. Really though I rarely break one horsepower except on those rare occasions when I actually am roughing steel stock. I'd really benefit from getting it up to 5000-6000 rpm. In many cases my lowly Tormach 1100 will outproduce the KMB1 because the Tormach has a 5000+ rpm spindle even if it doesn't accelerate as fast or have as big of a spindle motor.

Anyway, I think the New Departure and Fafnir bearings in the KMB1 spindle could handle more RPM.
    ( I put new (old stock) bearings in it a while back )
    I'm just not sure the motor could. I'm putting 120hz to the motor now to get 3600 RPM. The motor is connected to the quill with a 1:1 timing pulley setup.

So, has anybody cranked up the speed on your KMB1 spindle? How did you do it? How did it work out?

Bob La Londe

Well, I need a faster spindle so I thik I'm just going to adjust the VFD to put out 200Hz and run it. If the motor craps out I'll put another motor on it. If the spindle craps out I'll rebuild it again. I already have another spare set of bearings for it.

There now I have announced what I am going to do. Maybe some of the after nannies will tell me how stupid it is. LOL.

Bob La Londe

Downloads
    Uploads

You could get a 6000 RPM option for those anyway so I doubt the mecanical side of things would let you down. Motor-wise, It’ll either fly or die...
    Go for it! ??

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow! This thread has a long life. It has been an inspiration, though! A couple of months ago, I found some KMB1 machines for sale. The [3] machines are now sitting in my garage and I am ready to embark on this journey that you brave souls have taken already.

Machines 1 & 2 are KMB1 models. Machine 3 is a KMB1x. I'll call them M1, M2, and M3. None were under power when I purchased them.

I think there is something mechanically wrong with the M3 spindle as I can spin the spindle by hand and see that the drive belt from the motor to the spindle is not moving. All have VFDs to drive the spindle motor. M1 and M2 have been powered up with a homemade 220V phase converter I built. I can boot the computers and load the master software, but [all] servos fail to move. Spindle on M1 spins if I hold the power button before loading the master software. I am a little surprised that the both M1 and M2 have the exact same spindle behavior [failure to move]. I am sort of suspecting that power from the rotary converter might not be working correctly. (Voltages look good, but there is a suspicious current reading on one of the legs). Anyway, next chance I get, I'll measure the servo power supply and possibly try driving one or more servos with a battery.

So much time has passed [since this tread started] and so many different pieces of hardware/software have improved/disappeared/surfaced. I'm pretty sure the retrofit will be LinuxCNC controlled. I haven't decided on the hardware yet, but I'm leaning toward a solution that is Ethernet based (from the LinuxCNC box to the movement control system) instead of port I/O step/direction lines. I don't know. So much to research to do and so much "I wish I had done it this way" to consider.

Thanks to everyone that has done this before me! Comments and encouragement are always welcome.

Downloads
    Uploads

Speaking of RPM I'm looking for a 3600 RPM motor running with 2-1 pulleys. I too may be out of my mind,but I agree it will need more RPM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Finally in paint!! I amaze myself what I can do in five years!!

Downloads
    Uploads

More pics

Downloads
    Uploads

yep even more!

Downloads
    Uploads

That's a great shade of blue! Five years is a long time. Nice to see the results thought.

Ummm.... Do you realize the head was supposed to swivel from left to right and extend or retract as needed to reach a much larger work envelope? It looks like you painted the swivel shut and painted the sliding dovetail of the head. 14 x 24 seems like a lot... until you need more. The swivel and extension of the head gives you easily twice that range. Its is a really pretty paint job though.

Bob La Londe

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Bob
    You are right I did paint it all,but I did plan on it....you have a camera in my shop????
    I will be pulling the head off completely for the move and hope I can get it to move. I have tried everything to get it sliding again,so I hope when I lift it I can get it to break loose and get it lubed properly.
    In the meantime I have started on the assembly process. NO electronics will be install until it gets move and hope it doesn't get scratched up to much!!!

Was that tape in the previous photos or did you clean off the paint? Also, it still looks like the swivel mechanism is painted over.

Bob La Londe

Downloads
    Uploads

Yep just razor bladed off. It was not sanded just wiped clean so it would come off easy. I will cut the seam on the swivel and hope it doesn't look to bad. I have to get everything painted because I won't be painting in the new shop...I don't want to ruin the shiny epoxy floor.

Quote Originally Posted by FannBlade View Post
    Yep just razor bladed off. It was not sanded just wiped clean so it would come off easy. I will cut the seam on the swivel and hope it doesn't look to bad. I have to get everything painted because I won't be painting in the new shop...I don't want to ruin the shiny epoxy floor.
    Visqueen paint booth and a respirator.

Bob La Londe

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes. Covered everything in shop and used respirator.
    I see Centroid just released V4 of the Acorn board. Really good price with all the new items. Board,relays,power supply,network cable,software and wiring. I will bump up to paid version on the software to get rigid tapping.
    Acorn CNC controller, Step and Direction 4 axis CNC Control board with ethernet communication.DIY CNC kit

Downloads
    Uploads

What are you going to use to convert the acorn's step and direction signals into the dc servo drive signals?

As to moving the head.... You have to loosen the cross bolts, and tap the side with the nuts towards the head, and then, in theory, you can move the head. The head is very heavy and it tends to be a little stuck in place from dried coolant spray, misc debris, and (eh-hem) paint residue. Sometimes mine moves ok, and sometims I have to put a block of wood against it and beat on it with a 3lb machinist hammer.

Bob La Londe

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ninensei View Post
    What are you going to use to convert the acorn's step and direction signals into the dc servo drive signals?
    Right now I'm planing on Viper drives with 160 volt Antec power supply,

Viper Servo Motor control products

Last edited by FannBlade; 02-25-2019 at 02:19 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    As to moving the head.... You have to loosen the cross bolts, and tap the side with the nuts towards the head, and then, in theory, you can move the head. The head is very heavy and it tends to be a little stuck in place from dried coolant spray, misc debris, and (eh-hem) paint residue. Sometimes mine moves ok, and sometims I have to put a block of wood against it and beat on it with a 3lb machinist hammer.
    I'm hoping when I put a lifting bar in I can break it all loose when I lift the head off base. I've had all the bolt loose and out to clean paint off, I'm going to re-clean them and powdercoat them before I reinstall them.

With it separated I should be able to move it on a trailer myself. My doors are 8 ft,so it barley fits through. I hope I can get a trailer in shop and lift it with a gantry crane.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast