Build Thread Hurco KMB1 upgrade - Page 2

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurco KMB1 upgrade

Also, I think I recall you mentioning you having paying work lined up for this machine when you get it going. That work may not wait around forever. You don't want to do anything dumb in your retrofit because you got in a hurry, but I doubt you want to take an extensive time to do it either.

Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Downloads
    Uploads

He has already sourced it out till I get mine finished. So now I can take my time and really think it through.

Quote Originally Posted by FannBlade View Post
    He has already sourced it out till I get mine finished. So now I can take my time and really think it through.
    Oh, CRAP! Now you are going to be like me and take three years to get it done.

Bob La Londe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

First off welcome to the adventure!

Looks like you have the same mill as I do. All your electrical cabinets look exactly like mine before I did my retrofit. I also have the same 2hp spindle motor.

I will try and list what did with my system and some things to watch for.

First off what in the hell is this thing?? Good lord it's HEAVY!!!
    Hurco KMB1 upgrade-hurco080-jpg

#1 - is the transform that powers your servos.
    #2 - is a step up/ step down 3-phase transformer that is used to match machines required power voltage with whatever 3-phase power you are feeding it. (I think). Not needed.
    #3 - I think this was part of the power supply needed for all the computer boards that are in the bottom of the right side cabinet. (Not needed)
    #4 - Fuse for server power supply

I reused #1 and #4 when I built my servo part supply.

Hurco KMB1 upgrade-hurco069-jpg

The area in red is the rectifying circuit for the servo power supply. There are 4 large diodes there that make up the rectifying circuit as well as the grey capacitor and black resister on the capacitor. I reused these when making the servo power supply. I also used the blue large capacitors from the old VFD and have those mounted at each of my servo drives per the servo drive mfg recommendation.

One thing to note as it looks like you have the same servo motors as I do and they are rated at 45V max voltage. Data sheet can be found here. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/hurco/...ml#post1043801

The low voltage of the motors and the high stock power supply voltage was one reason I didn't go with Geckos. I was going to need to lower my power supply voltage or look for drives that can PWM the voltage down, Geckos don't do that. Also I was not really fond of the tuning my ear or get an o'scope method that the Geckos use for tuning. Don't get me wrong I have Gecko stepper drives on my CNC router and they are awesome! 4 years of use and not one single problem. Just didn't think they were the best choice for the equipment that I had.

For my drives I went with DG2S-16035, they can be bought from CNC4pc.com. They have software for tuning and setting the parameters on the drives, plus some diagnostics. You just have to make sure that you get the USB adaptor when you order otherwise you can tune them :-(

One other thing I don't really care for on the drives are the ethernet plugs for everything. I would have like screw terminals better, all though I have not had any issue yet.

The encoders I went with are US Digital. Two of the three encoders on my machine when I got it were broke so didn't have much of a choice. I looked at the AMT ones and you have to come up with some kind of an adaptor since they don't fit the 1/2" shaft that is on the motors. The us digitals bolt right on, almost.

Z and X I used E6 differential encoders 500CPR (theoretical resolution of 0.0001" my machine has 5 turns/inch ball screws). There was no way that the differential encoder was going to fit under the cover on the Y so I went with a single ended instead. You can see how I installed it here.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/hurco/...ml#post1222543

There was a little modification that was needed.

If you go this route may also need to get a "single ended" to "differential" encoder converter which is what the DG2S drives work with. Those can be bought from CNC4pc also.

Ok enough for now getting late. I will list off basic specs of what I used as it looks like you are thinking about getting some of the same equipment that i have.

PMDX-126 - works great really worth it.
    PMDX-107 - works fine. But I also have RS-232 communication cable with my VFD that will actually let me watch spindle loads etc while I'm using it. Currently only using the PMDX-107
    DG2S-16035 servo drives
    Teco 7300 CV VFD for spindle
    ESS - Smooth stepper
    Pokeys U56
    Mach3 - Patiently waiting for Mach4. Hopefully the feedhold lag is gone.

Keep up the good work. You machine looks like it was in way better shape them mine when I got it. Although I only paid $500 for it and moved it my self :-)

You get any tool holders with it? I got a bunch with mine. If you didn't I would start watching Ebay assuming you have quick switch 200 spindle. They are not cheap.

-Wes

Last edited by Snipes44; 07-31-2013 at 09:44 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you! Glad to hear all I can from other conversions.
    I will take a look at the drivers you listed,I actually spent last 2 hrs reading up on the Viper 200's. All my encoders are brand new unfortunately the front one was broken probably from the move or my careless removal of the servo cover. The cover is also broken so I planned on turning a new one anyway,so I may just go bigger to keep the encoders the same.

I ran all the servos today via battery and all seemed smooth. Also hooked up the air and the spindle brake does work although there are couple air leaks I need to investigate.

I'm still going with the Automation Direct GS2 I have one on my lathe and have really grown to love the removable control panel mounted for easy access.

Any tips for leveling? Mine is visibly out of level and "wobbles". Should I just use some steel plate on the corners?

OK back to the shop and work on paint prep,I want to get the dirty work over with and get my shop cleaned up!!!!

Edit- I see the Teco has removable panel also and acc. prices are better.

Last edited by FannBlade; 08-01-2013 at 01:54 PM.

I would download the manul for that VFD. Most are derated about 30% when you run single phase in.

Bob La Londe

Downloads
    Uploads

I looked and didn't find anything on it derating. I know if I use a 3/3 VFD with single I would need to size up.

I have also decided to go with a full enclosure kinda like this only with full front and doors. Will be easy to seal next to the Knee track and still be able to use knee. It will come out 36" from the knee saddle on both sides and just above the ring on the spindle turrent. The bottom will be angled and mounted the the mill base.
    Hurco KMB1 upgrade-8731918-21-jpg

Mill all clean and sanded ready for paint. I have decided to rework the air lines to the spindle brake via solenoids and eliminate the air oilier in lieu of a new automatic oilier just to make sure it works right I have found couple that are less then $200 or a Tormach for $249 (i think).

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    I would download the manual for that VFD. Most are derated about 30% when you run single phase in.
    They have models for both 3ph and 1ph input. Just have to make sure you order the right one. I went with the 3HP model.

I also picked up the braking resistors. They are cheap enough.

Downloads
    Uploads

Some new pics. You can see I have removed the door from right side cabinet I'm going to flip the hinge to the other side so it will open all the way once the enclosure is in place.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi There,
    I was interested in purchasing a Hurco KMB1 to do the same thing that you are doing and was curious about your build before I dive in too deep. How much did you buy the machine for originally and how much do you anticipate the entire upgrade will cost you (don't include machine price). I want to make an informed purchase and saw your work which is very impressive. I am certainly going to follow your work. Keep it up!

Mister

Downloads
    Uploads

I got the machine for $2000 + $750 to move it. The shocking part is when I tore it down I found 3 brand new servos installed! If you find one I would make sure the servos run if machine is not hooked up,I found them online @$1100 each!! A small tractor battery hooked to the blue and white wires will get them moving.
    I expect to have around $2500 more on the full conversion once I buy all the smalls like switches,wire connectors,metal,paint,etc.. Still undecided on the servo drivers at this point,but expect to go with the Gecko's mainly for support. The electronic side is my weak point.

I need a larger mill with some rigidity compared to the benchtop models,plus I picked this up for what a Rf45 costs,plus no ballscrew,servos,3 phase motor,cabinets,or oiling system is needed. I would never convert another low end machine unless someone gave me the iron and I was bored.

I almost pulled the trigger on a Tormach 1100 but just couldn't justify the $24,000 I know I would've spent on it. The Hurco won't have a power draw bar or tool changer but it is one hell of hunk of iron and should be really rigid with tons of travel in all directions.

Thanks for watching I hope to do a clean build with the help I get from members here @ the Zone.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks so much,
    I have been dealing with a benchtop model and I think Im at the point of upgrade. Trying to research as much as I can and I appreciate any advice. Keep up the work, it's coming along!

Mister

I almost pulled the trigger on a Tormach 1100 but just couldn't justify the $24,000 I know I would've spent on it. The Hurco won't have a power draw bar or tool changer but it is one hell of hunk of iron and should be really rigid with tons of travel in all directions.
    If you have the Qwik 200 spindle tool changes are pretty fast without a power drawbar. If you don't have a spindle spanner I recommend you make one. Also, when you setup the spindle brake setup a way to manually engage the brake to make tool changes easier.

I like the look of the Tormach 1100, but I like what I have been reading lately about the Novakon Torus Pro lately. I'ld give both consideration if I was buying new.

Bob La Londe

Downloads
    Uploads

I does have the Quik 200 and that is exactly what I plan is to put the brake on a switch to engage it. I will need to pickup some collets,it did come with 4 but they are really beat up. Found a bunch listed on e-bay ranging $20-$40 so not to bad,oh I did get a spanner wrench too.
    Hope to get material list together today for the enclosure and get it going and plan to get what is ready painted then will paint the enclosure when it is finished.

I think I'm going to try and fix the rear panels to the mill then make the U shape part actually roll away from mill by unbolting it. That should make any repairs or major adjustment easy.
    Still debating with myself what to do with coolant pump....VFD ($99) or just replace it with single phase model (VFD cheapest way out I think) That is my next chore is to clean out the NASTY in the bottom of the tank.

Did you get your coolant guard finished yet?

Looks like Novakon is working hard on getting their reputation repaired. Plus they offer servos great move for them!

I am about 75% finished with my enclosure. I still have not finished the front doors. I have the mechanism for them figured out though. Full extension drawer slides on the bottom (mounted) and pinch rollers at the top. This will allow me to have about 36" opening to access the table from the front with both doors open. The side panels on my enclosure also lift out.

Coolant pump is easy. Just use a swamp cooler pump. A Little Giant coolant system is just a glorified swamp cooler pump stuck in a tank. I have one pumping oil on my little CNC mill for cutting. For water based coolant it would work even better. For good high volume you need to elevate your coolant tank as the volume drops off dramatically with lift height. I've got some 2 gallon (might be a scosch small) pickle buckets for coolant for the Hurco. I have not finished the coolant system for the Hurco yet, but I think I could have it ready for manual operation in 30 minutes. Maybe an hour to an hour and a half for automatic operation.

The tank on the side of your mill may not be a flood coolant tank. It may be a Kool Mist system. The one on mine was. I have not decided yet if I plan to use it for anything. I like the chip carrying and cooling of flood.

VFD. If you already have one you can fire up your mill with it. Just derate all your cut calculations, or if using an SF calculator, plug in a max HP number that you are sure it can cut at. I have all my calculators set at 3HP for my mill, and realistically it never gets close except for things like face milling or hog milling. My manual says my machine is rated at 4HP, and I actually have a 5HP motor on it. I am running a 3.7kw (5HP) Mitsubishi VFD that can be used as 1-3 or 3-3. I am running 1-3. It works fine. At a 30% derating on the VFD I gave myself a .5HP safety margin that way. If its ever an issue I'll get that PC1-50 Spedestar I originally planned on.

I am using my machine. Yesterday I cut out some 1018 steel parts for a swivel bumper on a boat trailer winch tower.

Last edited by Bob La Londe; 08-08-2013 at 12:44 PM. Reason: point of order...
    Bob La Londe

Just a point to help maybe:

Kwik 200 is the taper and locking part of the tool holder. The back half so to speak.

Usually the whole thing is a tool holder.

A collet is a device that holds a tool by compression clamping,

So:

For certain you probably want more tool holders. You may want some collets if one of your tool holders is a collet chuck.

Kind of handy:

I wanted some more flexibility for smalelr sizes so I bought some straight shank ER 16 collet chucks, machined a flat on one side (for the set screw), and mounted them in some of my extra Kwik 200 tool holders. For the price of one complete kwik 200 ER collet chuck I made 4 of them. Run out is compounded from one device to the next, but they will work until some of those harder to find small size kwik 200 tool holders come along.

Bob La Londe

Downloads
    Uploads

That is what I'm using on my lathe is a 500 gal/hr pond pump and it has always performed well with enough flow to use as wash down. Moving lathe next week maybe I will try the VFD on the spindle and pump while it is unhooked.

Great idea on the collets.
    Glad to hear you are running parts,can't wait till mine is ready!! All I need is a strong flow of CASH!!!!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hallo Sirs
    I am from South Africa and bought a Hurco a while ago which I am retrofitting with Xinje servos an Linuxcnc.
    I still got all the electronics and old servos. The previous owner told me the computer screen is buggered and I also noticed one servo is not well and and the x axis tacko is broken.
    I dont want to just throw away everything because I noticed that there are still guys in America
    that run these little machines with original hardware and software.
    So if anyone is intrested and are willing to gamble a bit the stuff is up for grabs if you are willing
    to pay the shipping to get it from here to America.

Regards
    Werner Theron

Quote Originally Posted by Werner.Theron View Post
    Hallo Sirs
    I am from South Africa and bought a Hurco a while ago which I am retrofitting with Xinje servos an Linuxcnc.
    I still got all the electronics and old servos. The previous owner told me the computer screen is buggered and I also noticed one servo is not well and and the x axis tacko is broken.
    I dont want to just throw away everything because I noticed that there are still guys in America
    that run these little machines with original hardware and software.
    So if anyone is intrested and are willing to gamble a bit the stuff is up for grabs if you are willing
    to pay the shipping to get it from here to America.

Regards
    Werner Theron

Dan Boudreau mentioned working with a guy who buys, checks out, and resells old board for Hurco machines.

Bob La Londe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hallo Bob
    Jeewiz you are quick with the reply, thanks.
    I am still new to cnczone, so tell me now do I get in contact with Dan Boudreau?

Regards
    Werner

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast