Would appreciate if someone told me what this is?

Thread: Would appreciate if someone told me what this is?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Would appreciate if someone told me what this is?

Dear CNC'ers,

My Name is Martijn, an IT Engineer living in The Netherlands. My bother is an wood worker and his fried is an metal worker. They decided to make an CNC milling machine a few years ago and they would handle everything exept the electronics. Thats my job.

At this point the machine is put together and all axis are spinning and are calibrated. So that works fine, but we've managed to salvage an exeptional controller it would seem. Where ever we search, really can't find anything related to this controller. It works, so thats the positive thing. However we want to put some home switches on the CNC machine and that require's an pinout from the controller.

I've been looking everywhere but really can't find any information about this controller.

See attached picture.

Thanks alot in advance!

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Would appreciate if someone told me what this is?-img_2844-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Would appreciate if someone told me what this is?

Hi Martin

If you can't ID it, you can trace it yourself.

Find the DB25 (LPT) pins that you want to use as an input to your software . Then, for each, use a combination of eyes, chip datasheets and a multimeter checking for continuity to trace what's feeding that input. It's not as easy as reading a manual but it's not terribly difficult either.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Would appreciate if someone told me what this is?

Bad news Martijn - I could only find reference to the manufacturer on archive.org - their website was defunct as of 2011 - the only link I could find that was pertinent to the board you've got is here, and it's not exactly informative.
    From what I can tell, it looks like ports 2 and 3 cover low voltage I/O - they seem to be completely optoisolated, but I'd still make a point of tracing out all the connections first. I would guess that pins 2,3,4 and 5 are the relevant pins on port 2, with pins 6-9 being ground, and pins 3,4 and 5 are the ones to trace on port 3, with pins 6-9 being VCC.
    It'd be worth looking up the datasheet of what I'm assuming are the optoisolators next to the DB9 ports, because that'll tell you whether or not the port's intended for input or output.