Newbie Q's

Thread: Newbie Q's

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Newbie Q's

I am in the process of putting together a CNC. I dont have the final power supply but i have a DC power source that goes up to 40V.
    (Also, i was thinking of using the HobbyCNC board and steppers to build a different machine that will be controlled with a Parallax chip.)
    Here are my questions.

I hook up the 24v DC power source and the test point shows 5V. I have 1 stepper connected but i can manually turn the stepper even when powered. Shouldn't it lock in its current position until given a step to move? Is it because i just do not have a strong enough power supply for the stepper to hold its current position?

This is kinda jumping the gun but with the parallax idea, HobbyCNC only needs signal 2 pins to move 1 motor right? 1 pulse to move and 2 for direction right?? Anybody that can give me pointers on this parallax setup is appreciated...

waiting for parallel port card, power supply, and capacitor....
    TIA.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Newbie Q's

Yes, the HobbyCNC boards operate with just two pins (per axis), Step and Direction. These are TTL level signals.
    Yes, the stepper will lock when power is applied - if you've set the motor current potentiometer per the instructions (a quickie calculator is here: hobbycnc.com/sp_faq/missing-steps-motor-not-behaving-properly/) - scroll to near the bottom of this FAQ for the calculator.
    in fact, go ahead and read that whole FAQ top-to-bottom for ideas to check.
    24V will be plenty to lock the motor such that you couldn't turn it by hand. Depending on the size of the motor, however, 24V may not be sufficient to get the desired torque/speed.
    Contact me thru the HobbyCNC website and we'll get you going.
    BrianV, HobbyCNC

WoodWorkerB
    WoodWorkerB.com