dave, How is 23-200-DS8 Unipolar Stepper 8 wire work?

Thread: dave, How is 23-200-DS8 Unipolar Stepper 8 wire work?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default dave, How is 23-200-DS8 Unipolar Stepper 8 wire work?

Just purchased the 3axis 200oz.in. hobby CNC kit package and the spec said it comes with 8 unipolar steppers, I believe.

I am quite new with the steppers, but try to access information in regard to how bipolar, unipolar works.... In general, I understood how 4 wire bipolar works, but would anyone can explain how
    #23-200-DS8, 200oz-in Dual Shaft, 8 wire work?
    I thought that bipolar produces higher torque for the same size with unipoloar. What is advantage in using it anyway?

Thank you so much for explaination, appreciate it.
    Jeff.

Similar Threads:

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cjchands View Post
    Just purchased the 3axis 200oz.in. hobby CNC kit package and the spec said it comes with 8 unipolar steppers, I believe.

I am quite new with the steppers, but try to access information in regard to how bipolar, unipolar works.... In general, I understood how 4 wire bipolar works, but would anyone can explain how
    #23-200-DS8, 200oz-in Dual Shaft, 8 wire work?
    I thought that bipolar produces higher torque for the same size with unipoloar. What is advantage in using it anyway?

Thank you so much for explaination, appreciate it.
    Jeff.
    The difinitive lesson:

http://www.cs.uiowa.edu/~jones/step/

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dave, First of all thanks for the link to explain how stepper work.
    However, the link shows 6 wires (2com, 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b). Which I suppose that 1a = A, 1b =a, 2a = B, 2b = b reference to your driver board. The package said it comes with 8 wires.

Q1. So that's left me scratch my head and wonder what is the other 2 wires for?? (Afterall, you have only 6 terminals per axis.)

Q2. I looked over the link about stepper motor control circuit, but from a lot of formula and physic explanation standpoint, I can't fully understand how the signal works. From my standpoint, I would be very appreciate if you can explain in general how the input of binary bits from the parrellel port2=X dir, 3=X step..... to the output binary bits that send to 6 wires A,a, B,b, com, com work????

From one axis input to the drive, you have 2 terminals: step, direction.
    From one axis output to the motor, you have 6 terminals: A, a, B, b, 2 coms.
    How does the drive work?

Thank you in advance for your clarification. Appreciate it.
    Jeff

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: dave, How is 23-200-DS8 Unipolar Stepper 8 wire work?

Quote Originally Posted by cjchands View Post
    Dave, First of all thanks for the link to explain how stepper work.
    However, the link shows 6 wires (2com, 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b). Which I suppose that 1a = A, 1b =a, 2a = B, 2b = b reference to your driver board. The package said it comes with 8 wires.

Q1. So that's left me scratch my head and wonder what is the other 2 wires for?? (Afterall, you have only 6 terminals per axis.)

Q2. I looked over the link about stepper motor control circuit, but from a lot of formula and physic explanation standpoint, I can't fully understand how the signal works. From my standpoint, I would be very appreciate if you can explain in general how the input of binary bits from the parrellel port2=X dir, 3=X step..... to the output binary bits that send to 6 wires A,a, B,b, com, com work????

From one axis input to the drive, you have 2 terminals: step, direction.
    From one axis output to the motor, you have 6 terminals: A, a, B, b, 2 coms.
    How does the drive work?

Thank you in advance for your clarification. Appreciate it.
    Jeff

I have the same motors and same trouble. How to wire to a gecko? No info on line, so I used a scope and was able to figure out the wiring of these nice but info-lacking motors. Here is the video showing how to wire them up:

Too many toys, too little time...