cutting off lathe ways from cast iron bed

Thread: cutting off lathe ways from cast iron bed

Downloads
    Uploads

Default cutting off lathe ways from cast iron bed

Good day to all,

if you cut of ways from iron cast lathe bed off what will hapen. Is sombody try this before that can speak from exspirience. Woud bed bend after cuting it of or it woud stay the same. It is needed to relese internal streses again and so on becose there is mising some material. I am thinking to cut of V shape from it so i can make cnc lathe and ground it after.

Thanky for the answers.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: cutting off lathe ways from cast iron bed

Hy guys,... nobady here.

If i buy old lathe and cut of the ways and put linear rails on it. It will warp and bend the castiong or not?

Eny sugestions

Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe or maybe not. Just depends on the particular casting. You could rough machine it, heat treat to stress relieve, then finish machine. I have no idea what the proper heat treat procedure would be.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, what if i remove screws apron nad stuf and tailstock and all teh stuf to the bed. Then i need to figure out how to put on the exsisting bed big plate f steel with linear rails nad balscrews to run cnc option. I dont wont to dril inthe bed but some sort of ficture. Did enbody try this option.

If i wont to reper the ways, i need to weld over them and grind them this is costing minimum 1k euro. then i need to reper the saddle, probably to welding and grinding. Or perhaps with some sort of plasting and hadn scraping. If we are onest, this woud be pain in the ass. Becose i need to reper tailstock and spindle hight to yes?

Enbody now for soem cnc lathe form the scrap yard or somthing.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool1 View Post
    Good day to all,

if you cut of ways from iron cast lathe bed off what will hapen. Is sombody try this before that can speak from exspirience. Woud bed bend after cuting it of or it woud stay the same. It is needed to relese internal streses again and so on becose there is mising some material. I am thinking to cut of V shape from it so i can make cnc lathe and ground it after.

Thanky for the answers.
    It is possible the bed might distort because the ways are usually flame hardened then ground, I built lathes many moons ago.

In my day, castings were left outside in all weather's for the material stress to normalise before machining.

You can but try.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Old School - Did you progress this? If the casting is old it "should" be stable so machining would be OK. Have you done this and did it move? Peter