Simple wind machine

Thread: Simple wind machine

Default Simple wind machine

Hi people! This is my very first post here I would be delighted if you can help me with what I think it must be a super easy mechanical problem for this community! This is my problem:

I'm trying to make an art work based on wind. I painted a row of vertically displaced nylon ropes. Side A has an image, and if you rotate every single rope for 180° you can see the image on Side B.

The problem is that I want this rotation to happen with the direction of the wind force together with a flag. For example when the wind is going north you see side A and when it goes south you see side B. Simple, right? But not for me...

Because the main problem is that I want the flag to be able to rotate infinitely while the ropes just do 180°...

I also made a few sketches to help with the visualization of it.
    Thank you very much in advance!

So my first thought is that I need the flag to be attached to a gear wheel. This gear is limited in 180° and connects to the outside ring's that will support the ropes. So how can I make that and still allow the flag to round freely?
    If there's some other system that makes more sense, please let me know!