Need Help! Converting Milling Machine into CNC

Thread: Converting Milling Machine into CNC

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Converting Milling Machine into CNC

Hello, I hope I'm posting this in the right section.

My dad has been wanting us to start doing projects involving a cnc machine. We can't afford to buy one and he doesn't like the idea of building one using 3d printed parts. He has an Index Milling Machine model 745 and he believes it would be easier to add parts to it and make it a cnc machine. I've googled stuff about converting milling machines to cnc's but they kinda seem to be dead ends.

Was really hopeful that someone here could give me any information regarding what types of parts would need to go into converting a manual milling machine into a cnc.

Thank you for your time.

Similar Threads:

Default Re: Converting Milling Machine into CNC

If you search, there are some Youtube vids of the conversion of a Harbor Freight mini mill to CNC and that might give you an idea of what to do. You may have to custom make some of your parts. I would think that you're gonna need some idea of whether or not your existing lead screws will work with the CNC motors. If they will work great, if not you'll have to find replacements. Seems to me that's the first place to start.

Downloads
    Uploads

One of these: https://www.wotol.com/1-index-745-ve...prod_id/758776 ? That's a full-size knee mill that resembles a Bridgeport. It would work better if you replaced the lead screws with ball screws, but it would probably work to some extent with the screws it's got. It will cut steel better than any home-built router, not to mention one made out of 3D printed (plastic) parts. The spindle speed seems slow, like it only has the low range and not the high - most mills like that will go to 5000 rpm or so. But if you're mainly cutting steel with large cutters, it should work okay, and if you need to cut other materials or use small endmills, you can fit it with an auxiliary spindle or a spindle speeder. You can either use steppers (go for at least NEMA 34) or servos to run it. Steppers are easier to set up and a bit cheaper, but servos are stronger and less likely to lose position. If this is the only mill you've got, keep it in working order so you can make all the motor mounting plates etc. you'll need for the conversion, and wait to tear it apart until all those things are complete. Work out the plan in detail first, and use the intervening time to research control systems - give that a month or so before spending any money on any of that.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    One of these: https://www.wotol.com/1-index-745-ve...prod_id/758776 ? That's a full-size knee mill that resembles a Bridgeport. It would work better if you replaced the lead screws with ball screws, but it would probably work to some extent with the screws it's got. It will cut steel better than any home-built router, not to mention one made out of 3D printed (plastic) parts. The spindle speed seems slow, like it only has the low range and not the high - most mills like that will go to 5000 rpm or so. But if you're mainly cutting steel with large cutters, it should work okay, and if you need to cut other materials or use small endmills, you can fit it with an auxiliary spindle or a spindle speeder. You can either use steppers (go for at least NEMA 34) or servos to run it. Steppers are easier to set up and a bit cheaper, but servos are stronger and less likely to lose position. If this is the only mill you've got, keep it in working order so you can make all the motor mounting plates etc. you'll need for the conversion, and wait to tear it apart until all those things are complete. Work out the plan in detail first, and use the intervening time to research control systems - give that a month or so before spending any money on any of that.

Thank you very much for taking the time to type out all that great information. It's really appreciated.

Downloads
    Uploads

I just converted a HF X3 mill. I used a conversion kit. I ordered custom length ball screws with the kit to get more travel so I did have some spacers to make and some mods to the kit parts to get to where I wanted to be. I built my PC, loaded LinuxCNC, built the controller and bought a MPG pendant before I started the mechanical conversion. I milled everything I thought I would need to mill before changing the acme screws to ball screws and mounting the stepper motors. Then as soon as the conversion was done I was able to get right back to manually milling using the pendant. I knew it was going to take some time to get to the point where I would be able to take a part from CAD to CAM to Cutting metal. For me ball screws were a must. I didn't want to be chasing backlash issues. You'll have plenty of work deciding on a control system. I used a PC with Mesa 6i25+7i76 boards running LinuxCNC. The Mesa boards are a step up from using the parallel port as an interface. Good luck on your conversion.

John