I am looking to design and build my own miniature terrain pieces for miniature fantasy war gaming. I have several years of contemporary drafting, very artistic, and can pick up most computer programs very quickly.

I would like to design 3D items such as miniature bunkers and other items that would be useful in table top gaming, either through milling the two piece negative molds, or milling the 3D original pieces to create the negative mold. My intent would be either to sell the product to gaming distributor or myself online, for somewhere around $30 for a model.

This would be a basement project, so space would be limited, more or less hobby/craft room type stuff. This would not be my vocation, just something to do in the evening and on weekends to offset my retirement check and have fun doing what I love (building models and terrain).

At some point, for versatility and expansion, I might look into something that I could make wood plaques with also. I foresee living and working with the Military for a long time, and being able to make plaques for people, that they want, would prove invaluable.

What would I need to get in on the ground floor and start making my prototypes and/or negative molds?

I.E. Suggested computer, software, controller, milling (or other suggestion) machine (how many axis), materials for the stock piece, etc.

Having not discussed this with “She who must be obeyed”, I think I would be willing to spend up to but not exceed $4000.