TNC426 replacing IDE HDD with a CF/SD adapter

Thread: TNC426 replacing IDE HDD with a CF/SD adapter

Downloads
    Uploads

Default TNC426 replacing IDE HDD with a CF/SD adapter

Anybody having experience of replacing the original 3,5" IDE HDD with a 2-4GB CF/SD-card + adapter?

What type of adapter did you go for, one for CF-card och SD-card, and why did you chose that option, specific reason why one type of card works better than the other?

Was it any problem cloning the original 3,5" HDD to the XX-card? what software did you use? did you connect the 3,5" HDD with a IDE to USB adapter and put the XX-card in a card-reader when you did the clone?

My original 3,5" HDD is still working, but would like to clone it on to some other medium before disaster strikes.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: TNC426 replacing IDE HDD with a CF/SD adapter

Hi,

I have changed my machines to SSD drives (Not CF card)- its not a very straight forward process as the file format of the TNC 426 is not the standard file formats which cloning software like norton ghost can work with.

Some of the basic steps I remember are as follows:
    1. Make sure you make your backup with TNCRemo (this is not the only backup you need to take- there is one more backup processes needed to be taken during the hard disk swap process)
    2. download the service manual for the TNC426 and read the steps mentioned in the hard disk initialisation process
    3. Check your software version- download the hard disk initialisation software from the heidenhain website for your software version
    4. You will need a LAN/Serial communication setup established with your control
    5. You will need to follow a backup process from your previous hard disk (conversion of some data to ASCII/some other format) as this would be needed for setting up your cycles once the new hard disk is in- I don't remember the exact process now but this is there in the hard disk initialisation manual

This can be done by you- it is a bit tricky but definitely doable. Just make sure you keep your old hard disk safe in case if the process doesn't work so that you can try again without compromising your machine.

I would suggest getting an appropriate SSD for this control instead of using a CF card. If you need any help with sourcing this do let me know. Depending on where you are located I could send you one if you need as I do keep a stock of these as they are at times difficult to come by or lead times are long where I live.

best of luck!

Downloads
    Uploads

Did the Compact Flash card work?

I have to do HDD swaps on two LE 426 and would like to use this as a solution for my customers.

I am the second to want to know if the CF way works, as far as I know the 8GB CF are the closest today-available of storage medium that 430/426 used at the time that it comes to light, more than 20 years ago..

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MrTNC View Post
    Anybody having experience of replacing the original 3,5" IDE HDD with a 2-4GB CF/SD-card + adapter?

What type of adapter did you go for, one for CF-card och SD-card, and why did you chose that option, specific reason why one type of card works better than the other?

Was it any problem cloning the original 3,5" HDD to the XX-card? what software did you use? did you connect the 3,5" HDD with a IDE to USB adapter and put the XX-card in a card-reader when you did the clone?

My original 3,5" HDD is still working, but would like to clone it on to some other medium before disaster strikes.
    IDE is a redundant system and replaced by SATA. I would get a sata HDD with an ide adapter to clone the system. If possible use the SATA hard drive in the machine having made secure back ups.

CF and SSD drives are great, but they can fail without warning, HDD rarely just go bad, you get a few issues first.

Potentially you could lose the CF or SSD data in the blink of an eye.

I suppose that's ok if you have backups, but I wouldn't risk it, it could be several years later. Hard drive data is often recoverable.

Just my opinion as a one time service tech on Heidenhain controlled machines :-)

Quote Originally Posted by servtech View Post
    IDE is a redundant system and replaced by SATA. I would get a sata HDD with an ide adapter to clone the system. If possible use the SATA hard drive in the machine having made secure back ups.

CF and SSD drives are great, but they can fail without warning, HDD rarely just go bad, you get a few issues first.

Potentially you could lose the CF or SSD data in the blink of an eye.

I suppose that's ok if you have backups, but I wouldn't risk it, it could be several years later. Hard drive data is often recoverable.

Just my opinion as a one time service tech on Heidenhain controlled machines :-)
    Good point!

I used clonezilla to backup the TNC/PLC/SYS partitions, the machine come with innodisk 4000 2GB PATA SSD 2.5 hdd as it suffered hdd failure few years ago, and the company that serviced it installed it.
    What I found is that TNC/PLC partition are relly small, 64 MB and 128 MB, the SYS has 1.7 GB, but the files inside of SYS partition are around 150 MB, and linux detected then as vfat file system.

I've got two used industrial 2GB CF (SLC) as the datasheet say that they has ECC, it is true that disk hdd usually give errors before saying goodbye, but the modern industrial CF come with wear levering, safe power down and so on, and I think the possibility of CF card controller die are just the same as the SATA hdd controller, some observation is that, lots of machine owner has no hdd image backup regulary, I could not only back up them regulary but burn those images in DVD, on google drive, losing them mean big trouble, and haveing it backed-up, might takes minutes to restore them into a new medium.

I might also be possible to get hold some bran new old stock IDE/SATA HDD, I might everntually get them all as they are around 5 usd each, having them, tested all and compare. What I don't like the SATA is that PATA -> SATA needed to use converter, and while CF standard are compatible to IDE, the SATA need a converter which, also come with firmware that might, or might not work well with the eprom firmware...

I am not sure if the hdd HAS to be formated in FAT16 (or VFAT to support long name? does 426/430 reads/uses long name at all?) or FAT32, but only if the controller eprom firmware support FAT32, also, the files inside the SYS partition are exactly the same the one that come with diskettes that are still available at heidenhain web site? or each machine manufacturer, also has their own version of SYS files?

After fsck.fat on linux, I found some dirty bits, short name error on the old hdd, I am going to keep the old hdd, and build a new hdd with the necesary files, well organized and partitioned...

Thanks for advices!!

Last edited by hi3cmz; 01-16-2023 at 06:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hi3cmz View Post
    Good point!

I used clonezilla to backup the TNC/PLC/SYS partitions, the machine come with innodisk 4000 2GB PATA SSD 2.5 hdd as it suffered hdd failure few years ago, and the company that serviced it installed it.
    What I found is that TNC/PLC partition are relly small, 64 MB and 128 MB, the SYS has 1.7 GB, but the files inside of SYS partition are around 150 MB, and linux detected then as vfat file system.

I've got two used industrial 2GB CF (SLC) as the datasheet say that they has ECC, it is true that disk hdd usually give errors before saying goodbye, but the modern industrial CF come with wear levering, safe power down and so on, and I think the possibility of CF card controller die are just the same as the SATA hdd controller, some observation is that, lots of machine owner has no hdd image backup regulary, I could not only back up them regulary but burn those images in DVD, on google drive, losing them mean big trouble, and haveing it backed-up, might takes minutes to restore them into a new medium.

I might also be possible to get hold some bran new old stock IDE/SATA HDD, I might everntually get them all as they are around 5 usd each, having them, tested all and compare. What I don't like the SATA is that PATA -> SATA needed to use converter, and while CF standard are compatible to IDE, the SATA need a converter which, also come with firmware that might, or might not work well with the eprom firmware...

I am not sure if the hdd HAS to be formated in FAT16 (or VFAT to support long name? does 426/430 reads/uses long name at all?) or FAT32, but only if the controller eprom firmware support FAT32, also, the files inside the SYS partition are exactly the same the one that come with diskettes that are still available at heidenhain web site? or each machine manufacturer, also has their own version of SYS files?

After fsck.fat on linux, I found some dirty bits, short name error on the old hdd, I am going to keep the old hdd, and build a new hdd with the necesary files, well organized and partitioned...

Thanks for advices!!
    Edit: The hdd is formated on FAT16, and the SYS partition is the master, then TNC/PLC was under a logical drive, I am not sure why is arranged in this way, it is by requirement of TNC426? so far the 2 GB industrial CF are fine, I guess the innodisk 4000 2gb PATA ssd are just a 2.5 format CF.... or I am wrong?

Working on rebuilding a 2000 DMU70 Evo LE430E, 12k RPM.

My HDD is dead (Seagate 2.11GB 3.5 inch IDE). I can order a new IDE hard disk 40GB on the web. Can I install this?
    I don't have an image of the dead HDD.

I have a backup on TNCremo...

Kind regards