Hey, finally a section for one of my favorite lathes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey, finally a section for one of my favorite lathes.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Hey, finally a section for one of my favorite lathes.

And I get to be the first to post a thread...if I can type fast enough. How come it took so long to start a Hardinge lathe section? Must be not many people are running these machines.

I like their safe index subprograms, and use them on all the Fanuc controlled lathes I can. I also use their Deep Drill cycle on all Fanuc controlled lathes. Sorry Hardinge! Maybe you don't want me to.

Okay, whose going to be the first to post with a problem on these machines?

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by g-codeguy View Post
    And I get to be the first to post a thread...if I can type fast enough. How come it took so long to start a Hardinge lathe section? Must be not many people are running these machines.

I like their safe index subprograms, and use them on all the Fanuc controlled lathes I can. I also use their Deep Drill cycle on all Fanuc controlled lathes. Sorry Hardinge! Maybe you don't want me to.

Okay, whose going to be the first to post with a problem on these machines?
    Problem, they last forever. Running my 1992 CHNCI I bought new. still will hold .0002. Also love the safe index & use it on my other fanuc lathes..

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by duenow View Post
    Problem, they last forever. Running my 1992 CHNCI I bought new. still will hold .0002. Also love the safe index & use it on my other fanuc lathes..
    I started here in 1985. They were running 4 CHNCs at that time. No longer have any. Couple years later the company started replacing them with Conquest 42's. Have one Conquest 51. Still have the 1st 42. Like you said, still running jobs with .0005 total tolerance in materials such as Pyrowear 650.

Only problem we've had lately with this machine is setting work shift. Occasionally it doesn't accept the tool's geometry when you do the MZ. No error message, but you know when it happens as soon as you go to run the first tool.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Problems with Hardinge machines? Come on! lol. I have a Conquest 42, bought it used 5 years ago and had just basic maintenece issues. I have encountered a disater when your in edit mode and the power fails or the machine is shut down. It wipes the system memory clean! You have to reload all the parameters and any part programs. Hradinge Bros walked me thru resetting everything, but after the 3rd time, one of the service techs explained the shutdown problem. Havn't had any trouble since.

Downloads
    Uploads

what is this 'safe index subprograms' you guys are talkin about? I have a Fanuc 18T that I am 'discovering'.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by howd View Post
    what is this 'safe index subprograms' you guys are talkin about? I have a Fanuc 18T that I am 'discovering'.
    Can't do it now, but Monday I can post the programs here if you'd like. Hardinge calls the program O1, O2, O3, O4, O998, & O999. I stuck the first four in 9001-9004 protected programs. Left the last two as listed for the set-up/operators to modify the Z-axis clearance. I could have also put them in a protected program, and used a variable to set the Z with. Trouble is we sometimes have to reverse the X/Z positioning to avoid hitting a subspindle or tail stock. Programs 1, 2 & 999 are used for the main spindle. Others for the subspindle.

Basically these subs cancel G80 series drill/tap cycles, tool compensation, set G0, G97, IPR, etc. 998 & 999 contain the index position. Set-up/operator looks at the longest tool's geometry, and modifies the Z to be an inch (in most cases) longer. Turret will index with one inch clearance from face of part. Provided of course that you use the face as Z0.

Their deep drill cycle is pretty darn good, too. It uses a G65 macro call to set variables for drill depth, distance tool rapids to from the previous cut, feedrate, depth of first pass, minimum DOC (except for the last peck), dwell at retract point, and where the material starts in Z-axis.

If you were running a casting with a counter bore .750 deep, you can program the drills retract point at Z.5, and tell it to start drilling at Z-.75 (minus the tool rapid distance).

So

X0Z.5
    G65P9136K-2.265B.02F.008W.65C.25A.2Z-.75

would position drill, set final drill depth at Z-2.265, a rapid clearance of .02, F.008 feedrate, .65 for first peck, .25 minimum peck, .2 second dwell at retract, and start the first drill peck at Z-.73 (.75-.02).

Downloads
    Uploads

My complete operation for drilling would look like this:

N1000M91 (23/32 HSS DRILL)
    T1010S265M13
    X0Z.5
    G65P9136K-2.265B.02F.008W.65C.25A.2Z-.75
    M91
    M1

A rough bore would look like this:

N500M91 (ROUGH BORE)
    T0505S2500M63
    X.747Z.5
    Z.03
    G1U#510Z-1.96F.01
    U-.02
    M92
    M1

M91 & M92 call up safe index programs 9001 and 9002. Subs are set in M-call parameters. M91 sends tool directly home. First block in M92 is G0Z.5. Therefore it isn't necessary to program a separate clearance move.

These examples are for Hardinge and Daewoos with Fanuc controls.

If I were facing using a G96, I still wouldn't need a G97 in the block where the tool and spindle speed are as it is in the safe index program. I think it makes for a cleaner looking program. Less typing. I'm lazy!

EDIT: I should add that I always start the spindle up with the correct RPM for where I position the tool, then program the G96 block after the approach move. Yes, I am aware that many would simply program a G96 & SFM in the same block with the tool.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It is a subroutine program that positions the turret in a preset or defined position in the X and Z axis to allow for indexing without tool to part interference. Look in your manual for Safe start program. It is called by the M98 command. Look up the M98 and M99 code descriptions. You may not have the subprog stored in the buffer either, as well as the subprogs for deep hole drilling.

Sorry for the repeat, lol

Downloads
    Uploads

What machine is this 18T control on?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

HI

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am trying to thread aluminum tubes on a conquest 42 lathe and i am getting a lot of burrs. I am doing acme thread form, 4tpi. What are the best possible G code

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

anyone can help me out here, thank you

Downloads
    Uploads

yeah finally!! have to say hardinge is one of top lathes, we have a t42sp about 7 to 8 years old, had some very bad crashes and she still holds to 5 microns!!! trying to purchase another with live tooling this time.

Downloads
    Uploads

TARIQ08 , A little more information would be helpful. O.D. or I.D. thread? How are you threading now? RPM, DOC, lead in, etc. I use the G76 thread cycle almost 100% of the time. Do a lot of threading, but it's been years since I did an acme thread. Are you re-turning & re-threading?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TARIQ08 View Post
    I am trying to thread aluminum tubes on a conquest 42 lathe and i am getting a lot of burrs. I am doing acme thread form, 4tpi. What are the best possible G code
    I've not done ACME as big as 4 on my Hardinge, but I have done a bit of 6-8 & 10 tpi's. Your feeds and speeds are very important aa well as the condition and/or style of insert. The best results I got was from using a smaller gauge insert and doing 2 "cycles" with the second pass altered or moved in Z- to widen the profile and minimize the burring. It's virtualy impossible to do the ACME in one "cycle" without burring.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am doing OD threading to aluminum tube 1.32Dia., ID of pipe 0.940, depth .1 and rpm of 900 and using G76 cycle.

Last edited by TARIQ08; 05-16-2008 at 11:25 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TARIQ08 View Post
    I am doing OD threading to aluminum tube 1.32Dia., ID of pipe 0.940, depth .1 and rpm of 900 and using G76 cycle.
    The .1 DOC seems to me to be pretty large, especially for the 4 ACME. Back it off to around .02 to .05 to start and experiment with a slower rpm, say around 500 . You can increase your DOC and RPM's to get the best results and you can always consult your tooling supplier for the recommended DOC and RPM too. The 4 ACME is taking quite a load at .1 DOC. You may want to take another "cycle" with the Z moved -.005" or so, but this will widen the thread form, so adjust the depth of thread accordingly.

I am not familiar with all of the threading cycles from the programming manual, I usually read up on a particular function when I need to apply one. I do know there is a threading cycle for "compound" feeding the angle of the thread form, in your case 29.5 degrees, but you'll have to consult the programming manual or wait for a reply from someone that has. I'll do some checking, but I'm not near my manual.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Aluminum tubes with 4 tpi acme

Your best bet would be to thread using a g76.

The first G76 block:
    G76 Ppppppp Qqqqq Rrrrr

Ppppppp - the first two digits are the number of finish passes, the second two digits are thread pull out chamfer amount, the third two digits are tool nose angle.

Qqqqq - specifies the minimum depth of cut per pass

Rrrrr - specifies amount of stock to leave for the finish pass

The second G76 block:

G76 Xxxxx.xxxx Zzzzz.zzzz Ppppp Qqqqq Rrrrr Fffff

Xxxxx.xxxx - specifies the X end point of the thread.

Zzzzz.zzzz - specifies the Z end point of the thread.

Ppppp - specifies the single depth of the thread.

Qqqqq - specifies the cutting depth of the first pass.

Rrrrr - specifies the taper angle of the thread.

Fffff - specifies the thread lead.

You might want to leave .002-.005 on your od after roughing , then thread, follow with finishing tool to final od, then duplicate your g76 line and give a first pass equal to your single depth and take one spring pass to remove any burr rolled in to threads by your finishing tool.

Hope this helps,

Pete

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks a lot Pete, I will try the program.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

We have a 1993 Hardinge T42 (bought new)......Has anyone else had problems with the subspindle belt breaking??

We have had this problem starting in 2000.

It was breaking at least 6 times a years (with constant use)...We would replace the belt with the manufactures suggested belt,but it would still break soon after(I can tell you as an operator I got to know the sound of the belt breaking and usually could save it from crashing the subspindle...otherwise the results of a tool hitting an unmoving part was disasterous)

FINALLY... We replaced the (last) belt with one from Gates (of highest quality and price...lol) and havent had a belt breakage in over a year now.

Its been a great machine other than the belt troubles.

Just wondering if anyone else had a similar problem???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast