Hey, finally a section for one of my favorite lathes. - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hey, finally a section for one of my favorite lathes.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I can't relate any belt problems on the lathe, but had a vertical mill that frequently roke thr drive belt, It got a LOT more dependabla and life when we started using the Gates top of the line belts. Ya know what they say...
    "You get what you pay for"

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Hey, finally a section for one of my favorite lathes.

Hello everyone,

Thought I would chime in here and tell everyone that I have a Conquest T42 too. As a matter of fact, I bought it a year ago and have been "restoring" it. Had to take the sub-spindle closer apart and un-freeze it. For whatever reason, the drawtube was seized with rust, shellac, pitting... gawd it was fugly, but I got it all cleaned up and it's working perfectly now. Compared to my old CHNC-1, this thing moves like the devil. Scares the crap out of me when it lurches toward the spindle, even in dry-run mode.

Say, um... does anyone have an example of a sub-spindle to main spindle transfer program? One that actually works? I'm following the example in the programmer's manual on page 16-9, but the G10 P0 Y-n.nnnn command doesn't seem to change the sub-spindle work offset. The sub-spindle moves in absolute coordinates regardless of the work offset programmed. The Z work offset works as expected, but I can't seem to affect the Y offset.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by torinwalker View Post
    Hello everyone,

Thought I would chime in here and tell everyone that I have a Conquest T42 too. As a matter of fact, I bought it a year ago and have been "restoring" it. Had to take the sub-spindle closer apart and un-freeze it. For whatever reason, the drawtube was seized with rust, shellac, pitting... gawd it was fugly, but I got it all cleaned up and it's working perfectly now. Compared to my old CHNC-1, this thing moves like the devil. Scares the crap out of me when it lurches toward the spindle, even in dry-run mode.

Say, um... does anyone have an example of a sub-spindle to main spindle transfer program? One that actually works? I'm following the example in the programmer's manual on page 16-9, but the G10 P0 Y-n.nnnn command doesn't seem to change the sub-spindle work offset. The sub-spindle moves in absolute coordinates regardless of the work offset programmed. The Z work offset works as expected, but I can't seem to affect the Y offset.
    Haven't looked at a manual in years and don't know what you mean by a Y offset. I can check on it tomorrow. The Y-axis is only programmed to pick up the part and eject it. I leave the rapid move to the front of the part and the feed move over the part blank so the setup man can put in the right values. These values are taken directly from the monitor. The Y-axis is sent home after cut-off (G28V0) . There are 3 M-codes pertaining strictly to the Y-axis when it is brought in to pick up the part. Also need the M32 to sync the spindles. Y-axis never moves again until I bring it in a little to eject the part into the part catcher. You set a workshift for the main spindle and another workshift for the subspindle. I use G10P0Z-#530 for the front spindle and G10P0Z-#531 for the subspindle. These values are determined by the setup person. He puts a POSITIVE number in the Macros.

I can send you a sample program tomorrow. Does the lathe have Macro B programming? If not, you can't use my method. If it does, then Hardinge Brothers included a nifty deep drilling cycle with the lathe. It is program 9136. I've improved on it over the years if interested in learning more about it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Wallace View Post
    We have a 1993 Hardinge T42 (bought new)......Has anyone else had problems with the subspindle belt breaking??

We have had this problem starting in 2000.

It was breaking at least 6 times a years (with constant use)...We would replace the belt with the manufactures suggested belt,but it would still break soon after(I can tell you as an operator I got to know the sound of the belt breaking and usually could save it from crashing the subspindle...otherwise the results of a tool hitting an unmoving part was disasterous)

FINALLY... We replaced the (last) belt with one from Gates (of highest quality and price...lol) and havent had a belt breakage in over a year now.

Its been a great machine other than the belt troubles.

Just wondering if anyone else had a similar problem???
    A better belt helps a lot. Something that also helps out a lot is limiting the RPM to 5000 instead of running to the 6000 limit. Increases belt life significantly.

Downloads
    Uploads

Since my post, I contacted Bob Allington at Hardinge who look in their manuals, saw the code, and plugged this code into one of their T42's with subspindle. He got the same result! Z is modified, but Y is not. He went to other manuals for similar examples of this usage but could find it nowhere else but in this one T42 manual. So now he thinks G10 P0 Y-x.xxxx is a mistake in the manual. Bob suggested using P10 L2 P1 Yx.xxx instead to achieve the same result (this modifes G54 instead), as one example.

I was just following Hardinge's examples of "best practices" for the most convenient way of doing it. But now that it's wrong, I'm looking for best practices examples for part transfers.

So, yes, please - I'd like to see examples of how you do it.

I learned from here an example of setting safe-start locations using params #500, 501, 502, 503 (safestart X, Y for main, and safestart X, Z for sub, respectively). Having offsets associated by the loaded program and tools (whose locations I also document in my code) is smarter than plugging in G5x offsets manually and trying to remember who set what offset the last time we ran I-don't-know-what-program... With it all in the program, one need only verify tools/collets are where the program says they should be, and go. Your example looks like it follows that same practice, so I'm curious to see your example.

Hmmm... I think my machine does have the Macro B programming - there is an entire interface one follows to create part programs, but I haven't tried it yet. I'll take a look at the drilling cycle. Not sure if the guys who owned this lathe before wiped out or modified those programs (9000-9999) because the inhibit flag is disabled for that block. I'll have a look when I get home from work today.

Torin...

Downloads
    Uploads

To find out if you have Macro B, go to MDI, type in #500=1.; Insert, cycle start. Should alarm if you don't have Macro B. Check #500. It should read 1.

Downloads
    Uploads

We have a CHNC II+ machine and with the power completely off, when we turn on the air, the head begins to slowly index. When we power up the machine, the head wants to index even though the head is not in the fully extended position. We also notice the turret index button on the main panel is sticking and acting as a momentary contact switch. We found a check valve that had a broken spring in it, fixed it but there still appears to be an air leak somewhere and we cannot find an air schematic anywhere. Any clues as to what may be wrong so that I can help my maintenance guys zero in on the problem?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12