Build Thread Hardinge Accuslide CNC Lathe Control Retrofit

Thread: Hardinge Accuslide CNC Lathe Control Retrofit

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Hardinge Accuslide CNC Lathe Control Retrofit

Some trading with a buddy resulted in this guy coming home the other day..

Before we loaded it on the trailer:

Hardinge lathe with Upgrade Technologies Accuslide CNC conversion with Fagor control. I will be installing new servos and Centroid control. Very similar to my mill conversion. Should make a really nice CNC lathe for my shop.

Got the lathe unloaded off the trailer and roughly in its resting place. It will stay on the cribbing until the controls are installed. Overall it’s in excellent condition. Was quite dirty. Still some cleaning left. Starting to sort out the existing control circuits. Most of the new control components are ordered. The existing Accuslide CNC conversion mechanical components look to be in great condition. I’ll have to source or make a few way cover parts that are missing. I have a 3 jaw chuck on the way.

I sorted out how to move the Accuslide away from the spindle. This will allow me full use of the X axis travel.

The lathe will be quite similar to my mill build: Centroid Acorn control, DMM AC servos and Hitachi SJ-P1 spindle VFD running closed loop vector control.

This is the control panel layout. Test piece is made out of 1/8 mdf on the laser to check dimensions, layout, etc. I think this is what I’ll be going with.

The Hitachi VFD is able to be mounted through the back of the cabinet, placing the cooling fans and heat sink outside. I’ll stand the cabinet off the side of the machine about 3”. Chips shouldn’t be a problem because it’s under the chip tray.

DMM NEMA23 AC servos.. I did a lot of measuring prior to ordering. I knew they were close. They are! The original servos had 3/8” shafts. I found a 1/4 coupler of the same style. Worked great with the DMM’s 1/4” shaft. I had to turn down the heads of the socket head cap screws so they would go in to the bracket straight.

The X axis bracket is going to have to have about 0.4” milled off so the coupler will engage. I’m thinking I will have to make a new bracket.

Line scratched showing where motor would mount up:

The Z axis coupler has a much smaller gap. I think it will need to be closed up, too.

Got the part modeled.

Original motor mount:

The first servo motor mount is the most complex part I’ve made. Took all day doing the CAM and machining. Needs a few tweaks and I think it will be good to go. The second one should be easier.. famous last words!

Close to fitting correctly. Need to shave a couple faces.