Problem Hardinge GN-6 Superslant - Spindle fault

Thread: Hardinge GN-6 Superslant - Spindle fault

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Hardinge GN-6 Superslant - Spindle fault

Hello all,

Trying to troubleshoot our lathe. It will drop out on the 1000 Emergency Stop fault. Tracked it down to the K1 ready relay on the spindle drive. It is in the same circuit as the e-stop. Question is does anyone know what conditions the K1 relay is looking at to say it is good to go? I have checked the tachometer brushes and two of the accessible brushes on the Siemens spindle motor. All still have plenty of brush left.

The last time the drive faulted out we were fitting the part rotating the spindle by hand in spindle free mode when it dropped out. This got me thinking possibly something related to the spindle encoder?

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks, Dave

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hardinge GN-6 Superslant - Spindle fault-image-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Hardinge GN-6 Superslant - Spindle fault

Did you ever get an answer to this question? I am having the same problem right now.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Kelly,

No but we did get it working again. Here are my notes on what we did. Without looking at it again they don't make much sense to me and we may having been dealing with more than one problem. Basically we swapped some of the boards on the spindle drive. Hope this helps a bit. See below.

Dave has been working with a technician to try to determine the cause. 2 of the 3 fuses were blown for a second time on the spindle drive line AC power. Dave replaced and checked all connections. Upon restart the fuses did not blow but the drive fault remained. In discussion with technician we decided to change the drive with the spare we have here. No change. We jumped 72 73 (Drive Ready) and no change. Began looking at the axis drive again. When trying to start (e-stop reset) getting the 401 servo error. The book states that that means the V-ready signal (velocity control READY signal is off) VRDY. That is only found on the axis drive. 4/20 Worked with technician on the lathe yesterday. Axis drive fault, tried parameter 124 and 125 reset no joy. Saw that VRDY signal 10 volts not coming back thru relay on card. Tried jumping it and got the light to go off. Then replaced the go board with the spare one. Fault gone. We now could home the axis. The spindle drive spare was still in place at this time. We then tried to run the spindle and no joy. We put old spindle drive back in. It ran…… until it blew the two outer 35 amp fuses again, fortunately technician was monitoring the current on the drive and it got to 64 amps on spindle startup. We realized that the new program was causing higher loads. Technician said if he knew which pot to adjust he could slow down the acceleration and deceleration curves to reduce inrush current. Dave will also take all those spindle speeds out of the program and use the speeds we have in the past. However we did have those two fuses blow once before even without that program. When we tried to run after new fuses it shutoff on 1000 E-stop fault and that was where the power was interrupted at 72 73 the K1 ready circuit. We have been trying to swap boards from the spare spindle drive one at a time to figure it out. Technician looking for more parts at shop. Dave emailed and talked to Siemens to try and get the manuals for the drives. Technician came back in and brought a spindle drive with him. We used the 3rd card from the front from the drive he brought and the first two cards from our spare. Otherwise the drive that is in there is our original one. Technician then found that we were drawing too much current on the spindle and adjusted R85 current limit pot to fix it. Now at 3500 rpm we are only at 29 amps. He then adjusted R28 tacho to match the tach to the requested spindle speed. We then found that after the safety circuit was reset the spindle drive would fault on the LED V79. Technician hooked a switch up to the external reset and setup Andy with that. Technician took two boards back to the shop to replace the capacitors on it.

Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the response and the info. seems like all the smart people on here don't want to waste their time on these things.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Kelly, Did you get this spindle drive issue fixed? I used to work for Hardinge and have prints and manuals for the spindle drive and machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

We seem to have the spindle drive fixed, now we seem to have a problem with the servo drives. I have purchased a few new drive boards but I can't get all the axis to home. I have 1 drive board along with a power supply board that when I install them on any axis I can home just that axis, the others don't move and I get a 401 or a 422 alarm. We're thinking that maybe the control boards are not properly matched with the power boards as the warning on the boards indicates that they must be. The information we have says that we need some "black box" to match them. Do you know anything about that? do you think we are heading in the wrong direction? Thanks for responding to this.

Downloads
    Uploads

I once had a similar issue on a Superslant. We would send out a faulty card to be repaired, for a hefty sum. Only to have another card in the servo drive rack go out. We happened to aquire a complete set of working cards and replaced them all. That fixed the 401 on first move problem for several years. Then out of the blue it happened again. I didnt hesitate as I had figured this would eventually happen so we pulled the trigger and replaced the entire servo system (3) with with brushless drives from Automation direct.

My experiences with Siemens over this Simoreg issue,and on another machine a 611 Simodrive. Has left a memory I will never forget. I will never buy Siemens.

I know this doesnt help you diagnose you problem, but I encourage you to weigh you options on replacing those drives. Especially if your lathe is is good shape. There are less expensive options than Automation direct. Hardinge made an excellent hard metal machine with the Superslant before they would even start touting that as a thing a generation and a half later.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Getting the servo cards married with a black box is mostly only for fine tuning. There are some specific components that get soldered onto the boards for tuning, if you're buying generic boards from the internet. Generally the cards will be ok to jog around straight from the factory. There is a current resistor on the power boards, (looks like a metal pyramid) that needs two for Z, one for X, but they will still jog ok. Most of the time the motors have a resistive short from carbon build up that causes the power board to go out. Check for red LED's on the boards when you first reset your Estop. Try using the handwheel to move just a hair. This will command the motor to move but you won't get the following error alarms. Watch the drive in question to see which LED's come on, if any. If it doesn't fault out until you try to move it, it's generally a motor or mechanical problem, not the power board. Remember, this is just a generality.
    Once upon a time, Hardinge offered a drive retrofit but it was pretty expensive. I would bet they don't have it anymore. Yes, you should consider replacing the whole drive unit. The real chore used to be finding a motor that would fit the upside down mounting on X axis. Newer drives use smaller motors so this may no longer be an issue. If I remember correctly, 10,000 counts of following error allowed at maximum speed. Try dialing in the gains at half speed and shoot for 5000. This should prevent following error alarms at rapid speeds.