Turning Aluminum 6061-T6

Thread: Turning Aluminum 6061-T6

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Turning Aluminum 6061-T6

I have been looking for the formula to get a starting point on my feeds and speeds on turning aluminum but haven't been able to find it anywhere. Does anyone know what it is?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes.

Find the circumference of your part. This might be a compromise on a lathe without constant surface speed, if the part has a wide variation in diameter.

For High speed steel tools, I think 800 feet (of circumferential distance) per minute is acceptable, and with carbide, well, I don't know of a practical limit where you won't chicken out before the spindle gets going that fast

The feedrate depends on the tool radius and chipbreak, as well as the desired finish: .010 to .020" for roughing, .005 for finishing. Its quite forgiving really, the most compromising on parameters is done to try to get good chip flow for the insert you're using.

First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks man you've been a really big help. I implemented those and they worked great.

Downloads
    Uploads

Originally posted by Machine1
    Thanks man you've been a really big help. I implemented those and they worked great.
    Is that guy good or what!

'Rekd

Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)