Need Help! Haas VF-2SS identical program file name issue

Thread: Haas VF-2SS identical program file name issue

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Haas VF-2SS identical program file name issue

We have three Haas mills (VF-2YT, VF-2SS, VM3 and one Haas lathe ST10. Now we have been the victim of the Haas battery issue. Our VF2-SS gave a battery low warning, and we have ordered the replacement battery kit (with the two batteries). Delivery took some time, and despite our initial idea to leave the machine powered on we decided to turn it off during the battery pack installation. So we lost the data in the machine. We made a backup off all files just before swapping, as is advised in the DIY video on the battery swap. However that backup clearly does NOT do what it is supposed to do, backing up all data. So when after starting the machine again all data appeared to be gone, installing the backup again only got us so-far. With additional codes from the supplier (that depend on the software version! so our old codes did not work anymore) we were able to restore a major part. Took a major number of hours.

One final problem however is remaining. We program off-line and transfer the programs over USB. When doing that now we create limitless number 00000 programs with identical names (so the program is not overwritten, but can exists with the same name and number in the machine). That's not what we want, because it is dangerous (loading an old program can cause major issues).

Who knows how to tackle this issue. Our local support company claims it's not a parameter nor a setting. And wants to send in a service guy.....to do what ?

General feeling on the HAAS machines is very good. We are happy with them. But the battery replacement and software depending on battery life is really a stupid design flaw (that seems to have been around for a long time already judging the threads at this forum). HAAS should take its responsibility in this we think.

Thanks for any idea's on this matter

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Haas VF-2SS identical program file name issue

Today we have had the Haas service guy in.....he has wiped the memory of the machine (with a special procedure) and then reinstalled the backup we made. First thing that needs to be put back in the machine is the MACHINE TYPE (VF-2SS in our case). Only then the backup should be loaded. The 4th axis we had installed seemed not to have been part of backup. The reason for that beeing we never removed it from the machine after installation. Removing it (turning the parameter to OFF versus the name of the axis) gets you to a pop-up window for saving the parameters of the rotary axis. Well.....if nobody tells you.....

Also the guy said he ALWAYS replaces the batteries with the POWER ON. The HAAS DIY video clearly indicates not to (probably because the are worrying about liability issues). But the service guy advised against it (for a reason, because I am now convinced if we had exchanged under power we would not have all these issues).

Anyway....its solved. If HAAS would share the restore procedure from a backup we could have easily done it ourselves....now we had to spent a lot of money on it again......maybe part of their business model...we like to treat our customers differently.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Did your service guy install the battery upgrade kit or did he attempt to do it with the solder on battery? As far you duplicating programs you might have to reinitialize the software again and the load each program separately with different program names.

Downloads
    Uploads

J_F_V,

Glad to hear your issues are resolved!

I thought I would tag onto this thread with something I recently encountered that might possibly help others who read this:

I recently had a Haas HFO tech come to my place to install an old (NOS) Ethernet/USB add-in board on my 2005 SMM. During the attempt to get the board to work (which never happened), he backed up all the Parameters and Settings, and bumped the machine's operating system one version. He then restored off his backup and the machine functioned fine (so it appeared).

Ultimately, I discovered a few weeks later that my machine would only go to 10k despite being a 15k spindle. The *only* thing that had happened to my machine recently had been the tech's work to get the interface board to function (which included the OS "bump"). I live quite a ways from the HFO, but they were more then willing to help diagnose the issue. I sent them all the Parameters, and over quite a few phone calls and emails, they provided a number of things to try. Nothing worked.

I started looking through every spindle parameter I could find -- nothing seemed obvious, but a few settings WAY deep in the parameters just didn't look correct (someone in this forum actually mentioned something that pointed me to digging much deeper). FORTUNATELY, I had done something a long time ago that paid off -- I had pointed my cell phone camera at the monitor in video recording, and had stepped through every single Parameter and Settings page. I dug out that old video, and found the spindle parameter pages, and sure enough.... about 4 parameters were different from my video to the current settings. I changed those parameters, and VOILA -- 15k spindle again! (needless to say, I have now done another "video backup" as a second fall-back point)

My "conclusion" is that there are Parameters in the control that may be "derived" and not necessarily "restored" from a backup. I can't think of any other explanation since the spindle ran at full available speed *before* the tech had done his -- backup, OS-bump, restore -- job.

I'm totally with you on the battery swap -- I learned the hard way many years back on a wire edm machine that NEVER swap batteries unless the machine is powered. (that's too painful a story to tell). haha!

PM