HAAS Visual Quick Code / CAM Cutter Comp Interference

Thread: HAAS Visual Quick Code / CAM Cutter Comp Interference

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default HAAS Visual Quick Code / CAM Cutter Comp Interference

I run a Haas TM2 at work. I have now scrapped my seconded part due to a inconvenience between Visual Quick Codes and Programing in CAM. Heres my problem:

Say I use a 1/2" end mill (tool 1) to do a profile on a part using my CAM software (BOBCAD) and have it use G41 cutter compensation. In order for this to work correctly on my mill I have to go into the offsets screen and set its diameter to "0.0000". If I need to comp out .0100" I have to put that in either in the diameter variable or the wear variable as -.0100". Now say I want to do a held circle pocket and I want to use Haas's Visual Quick Codes Circle Pocket G13 template using the same tool as above (1/2" EM tool 1). I put in all the required info and think that I'm "good to go". I press go.... and SCRAP!!!! Damn I forgot my tool's diameter in my offsets was set to "0.0000". The machine thought I was using a 0.0000" tool when really there was a .5000" tool in the spindle. So it started to mill a circle that is way bigger than what I wanted before I could realize the problem and hit 'feed hold!!!". I wish I could keep the actual diameters of my tools in the offset screen instead of having to change them to 0.0000 any time I want to use that tool in CAM software. My question is, are there any settings on this mill to change me from having to do this? Ideally I would think I could setup a new tool using the Renishaw Tool Setter, which saves its actual diameter in the offsets screen. Then be able to leave that data in there even when using cutter comp in CAM or using VCC's. And if my tool wears down I can comp it out in the wear value and leave the diameter value alone. Is there anyway to make that possible???

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Anyone know anything about this?

Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds to me like you need to stop Bobcad from automatically comping the tool diameter in the post, that way you can use offsets.

Downloads
    Uploads

underthetire is correct. If you intend to use the VQC in parallel with CAM software, you should always output Machine Compensation and make sure System Compensation is off.

Same goes with the using the probe to establish tool diameters. To actually use them, you must use G41/G42 (machine compensation) in BobCAD.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: HAAS Visual Quick Code / CAM Cutter Comp Interference

I hand program everything that I do, the only advice I can give you is that when you use your cam software see if you can set up your template for every tool you run for example T2 have it wright this code line to follow, G90G10L12P2R0 <---- this line of code will take out any comp in your geometry offset. G10 tells the machine to prepare for offset parameters to be changed L12 tells it to change dia. offsets Geometry P2 tells it the tool number and R_._ tells it what ever size you want it to be. so if you set it to R0.0 it will take out the .5 you might have had in there. L10 does you height offset geometry L11 does height wear L12 does dia geom. offset L13 does dia wear offset. this line of code can be used in many different ways. you can use it to set work offsets and much more, you can use G91 and move your dem incrementally. its really quite fun when you get the hand of it. if you set your programs up right you can mill a 100 step over distances with a sub and create a cone or what ever you can come up with. its very handy.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: HAAS Visual Quick Code / CAM Cutter Comp Interference

maybe try to run it above the part to see if it looks good before you run it on the part. you will be able to see fit is off that far .