Alarm 103...need help?!

Thread: Alarm 103...need help?!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Alarm 103...need help?!

I was in the middle of a job and right after the program switched to the next tool, the table started to move into position and right away I got an alarm 102, and 103.

102 - Servos off
    103 - X Servo Error Too Large

This is on an '02 VF2 with pretty low hours, I have never gotten this alarm before. Ive tried to restart the machine and reset it to home but it will just alarm out. I opened the control box and disconnected and reconnected the wires for the servo drives thinking one might be loose but had no luck. The "FUSE OPEN" amber light is on inside the drive but I assume this is normal when the drive fails. Any suggestions would be great!

Jim

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Had that happen on my Mini mill. Turned out to be an X axis encoder. You get to change out the motor. i would look at the wire harness first of course. But that's what it was in my case.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Do you have a fourth axis? If so you can swap the servo control encoder with that one. You should be up and running for 3 axis works and not cost you a dime.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko1 View Post
    Do you have a fourth axis? If so you can swap the servo control encoder with that one. You should be up and running for 3 axis works and not cost you a dime.
    Nope...no 4th axis, guess ill have to have a tech come out, this sucks I have so much to cut and only 1 machine

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Im afraid to ask, but how much do those encoders go for?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I thought the tech that came out on ours said $600+ labor.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I believe the encoder is integeral with the motor. $1200 rings a bell...
    I bought the harness, X axis motor and axis drive thinking I'd just keep them for when it breaks. I'll get the encoder rebuilt and put it on the shelf.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry I meant axis drives, not encoder. On the pricing above. Also check your low voltage going to them . Sometimes you will get crazy errors on the axis like you are having.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well I swapped the x and y amplifiers and now the error is occuring on the Y axis, is it safe to assume that the one amplifier is bad? I call HAAS and thats what they suggested I try first to narrow down the problem. Strange thing is that the FAULT light on the amplifier isnt lit, only the FUSE OPEN light. Attached is a pic of the amplifiers not that you havnt all seen them.....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Alarm 103...need help?!-dsc00712-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow I feel kinda dumb, I was reading through the manual in the technical reference and I come to find out that the amplifiers have a fuse inside them. The manual states the end user SHOULD NOT attempt to replace the fuse but I was desperate and pulled out the amplifier and popped open the cover, sure enough I test the fuse and its blown. I replace the fuse, fire the machine up and its works perfectly. The machine is back to cutting and I can breathe a sigh of relief! Thanks guys for all your help!

Jim

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Alarm 103...need help?!-dsc00717-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's right. We're toooo dumb to change a fuse. No servicable parts inside, Please call your local Haas repair center.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Alarm 103...need help?!

Quote Originally Posted by PBMW View Post
    That's right. We're toooo dumb to change a fuse. No servicable parts inside, Please call your local Haas repair center.
    It is not that people are too dumb to change a fuse. The reason most companies don't want a person to just change a fuse is that most people immediately just go hey the fuse is popped and change it. They never think wait the fuse is popped, "Why did this happen? What could have caused this?" So the fuse gets changed, sometimes you are lucky and its just a bad fuse and it died from age. But other times its because something else bigger and more expensive is dieing and drawing more power and that is why the fuse popped.