Need Help! Work offset misbehaving. - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Work offset misbehaving.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Work offset misbehaving.

Quote Originally Posted by HayreAss View Post
    So, interestingly enough, and contrary to what you may have read earlier in this thread, not only CAN our work offsets be called out on the same line as our first X-Y move, as most of us already knew, but Haas themselves actually promote doing that way!
    This screenshot is from an official Haas video that I ran into today.
    Attachment 486466

the code I posted previously is directly off the haas site , which basically goes along with what you've found . You'll find most controls follow the same path when it comes to coding , with the exception being custom g and m codes for various machines and controls .

As I mentioned previously - if there was a problem with the program you were running then the haas tech would have picked up on it

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Then do it the way they Teach it

That is very different to what you posted and is as I said it could be posted as they have it, G54G90G0X---Y----- is fine, this does not work on all controls though

Note no G0 as the first call in the line the rest does not matter how you use it in the Haas control

The MDI snip that you have posted is a Haas thing, you have to learn what your control can do, by default G90 and G54 is the Control Default, it does not need to be entered in MDI so is a poor way to show / do it, that is just one example of how the Haas control can read the code not the norm though, if you have other machines with different controls its best to Format your Program so that it can run on all machines

I suggest you look at this Haas Mill Programing, look at Program Format Page 10 it gives a good explanation

Note that they do show Both ways that you can use it in the Haas control, and it can be different from this also
    It's almost EXACTLY what I posted! I mean, XY values are different, and no M3 or line number, but the machine would parse it the same, despite the following statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by mactec54
    G0 G90 G17 G56 X-3.5562 Y0. A79.39 S15000 M42, the control would not read the G56 in this line I'm surprised Haas did not pick this coding problem, this is not normal to program the G56 in a string like this.
    Other than the physical location the machine moves to, and the spindle not being given a direction command, it's a functionally identical line to Haas's own example of
    N102 G90 G54 G17 G00 X1.5 Y0. S2600 M03

Pretty sure all of us can feel safe with our machine specific post processors spitting out code like this.

Downloads
    Uploads

the only thing I'd do different is to change m03 to m3 g00 to g0 and so on , plus remove the n's . I don't know if you have the floppy sized memory on your mill but those little differences free up a lot of memory in a limited space . That and sub routines . The argument can also be made to leave out default codes to free up memory to but it's also better to be safe than sorry

The last shop I worked at we used a lot of fixturing on mini's and vf's . One offset , sub routines and g52 shifts was our way of doing things with multi part fixtures . We held a lot of programs in those pea sized memories and we did what we had to to keep our programming lean

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by HayreAss View Post
    It's almost EXACTLY what I posted! I mean, XY values are different, and no M3 or line number, but the machine would parse it the same, despite the following statement.

Other than the physical location the machine moves to, and the spindle not being given a direction command, it's a functionally identical line to Haas's own example of
    N102 G90 G54 G17 G00 X1.5 Y0. S2600 M03

Pretty sure all of us can feel safe with our machine specific post processors spitting out code like this.
    Only someone that does not know any better

Yes, it should work ok by what Haas specs say for coding, the important part is you moved the G0 even though Haas says it can be at the start of the string it's kind of screwed up that they are not following any normal industry standard Format, we have 5 different controls so this would not work on other machines that is why we use an industry standard Format that works on all machines

The way this is being used N102 G90 G54 G17 G00 X1.5 Y0. S2600 M03 is amateur programing at best, as the G90 G17 would have been in a normal safety line so repeating it is very poor programing skills, the Haas control also defaults to G17 G90 G54 on power up so just makes most of it, redundant unneeded code that slows the process down.

Just remember the Haas (Glitch™) this can be related to code Format which can affect any control

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

So what your saying is that haas doesn't know how to code the machines they manufacture ?

I don't know where you learned your " industrial standard " , I'm guessing on your own but you are wrong . your suggesting that an m6 replaces a g53 and m3 is amateur and dangerous .

Even though codes are defaulted at startup - it would take a fool to leave certain codes out of a program . A lot of that can change between runs .

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by metalmayhem View Post
    So what your saying is that haas doesn't know how to code the machines they manufacture ?

I don't know where you learned your " industrial standard " , I'm guessing on your own but you are wrong . your suggesting that an m6 replaces a g53 and m3 is amateur and dangerous .

Even though codes are defaulted at startup - it would take a fool to leave certain codes out of a program . A lot of that can change between runs .
    You can interpret, it however you like, they try and make it as fail safe as they can for users like you

What are you talking about A G53 has nothing to do with M6 /M3 in the Haas Control.

T1M6 turns off the spindle and coolant, read the manual, they show many different ways to program on their control it's your choice on how you use it /do your programing

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

So they show many ways to program , really ? It seems that in this thread there is only one way to program , your way

I don't disagree that on a haas t1m6 will turn off the spindle , the coolant , and return to tool change position to change the tool , but leaving the rest out of a program is just sloppy and isn't " industrial standard "as you like to put it .
    you said you have 5 different controls in your shop and you follow industrial standards . What other controls are you using that behave in the same manner at an m6 without being modified to do so , because haas is the only control I've seen that does this

Last edited by metalmayhem; 11-27-2022 at 11:25 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

... what no G49 Debate yet?

Ask three Machinist how to drill hole...Yuup, three different answers every time.

DJ

Downloads
    Uploads

g49 would be redundant , unnecessary , amateurish , slow down the process , and not follow " industrial standards "

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by metalmayhem View Post
    g49 would be redundant , unnecessary , amateurish , slow down the process , and not follow " industrial standards "
    What kind of gibberish is this we know where you are coming from, button pushers are all the same

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    ... what no G49 Debate yet?

Ask three Machinist how to drill hole...Yuup, three different answers every time.

DJ
    There is nothing to debate, it has its use, and is effective when used correctly in the right place.

https://www.machinistguides.com/g49-...ew%20locations.

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Can someone explain to me, in simple terms, how redundant code 'slows down the process'?

If you are hand coding, it adds the time it takes to type the redundant code. But a post processor posts it just as fast.
    If the control sees it as redundant, it adds no time that I can measure.
    Where is this slow down coming from?
    Imagination?
    I'm going with imagination until proven otherwise...

Downloads
    Uploads

I was only kidding since it was mentioned previously in this thread. The whole point of read ahead is so the control acts in a smooth and efficient manner , it adds no extra time at the control . Even when hand coding it doesn't add much time if any unless a guy is slow at typing or not already thinking about whats coming next

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, I figured YOU were kidding...
    But that other dude seems to believe a lot of his own nonsense...
    And he's VERY insistent.

Downloads
    Uploads

...I knew he was kidding and had a good laugh reading your comment. love your metalmayhem handle too. I bet you are fun to work with in the shop. It does make time fly when having fun.

DJ
    Omaha, NE

Downloads
    Uploads

ya I've always enjoyed working with guys who can take and give a good ribbing through the day , it does help make time fly and it keeps us human . I hate shops where guys can't have a bit of social interaction while getting the job done . The shops that had rules against it basically gave up after a while , it's easier to deal with the happy me than the miserable me

Downloads
    Uploads

You either need to enjoy the bulk of the folks you work with, or work somewhere else...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345