Repair of Haas Servo Amplifier

Thread: Repair of Haas Servo Amplifier

Default Repair of Haas Servo Amplifier

Greetings Haas Users,

I'm new to the Haas world and recently we had the 30 amp servo amplifer for "TT" axis (ATC cam box) fail. We replaced the faulty amp with a spare we had on hand to get the machine back online. I sent the faulty amp to a electronics fellow I've known for over 10 years for repair.(He has successfully repaired several Fanuc and other amplifiers for me over the years.) When we got the amp back I immediately installed it but it was still faulty. I contacted Haas about having the faulty amp repaired but their response was, "This has electrical cards that are interconnected that, if repaired, can bypass safety features and short the servos."

I'm not sure I believe this. Has any other Haas user been successful having Haas Servo Amplifiers repaired?

Please advise,

Grampsta2.0

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Repair of Haas Servo Amplifier

Quote Originally Posted by Grampsta View Post
    Greetings Haas Users,

I'm new to the Haas world and recently we had the 30 amp servo amplifer for "TT" axis (ATC cam box) fail. We replaced the faulty amp with a spare we had on hand to get the machine back online. I sent the faulty amp to a electronics fellow I've known for over 10 years for repair.(He has successfully repaired several Fanuc and other amplifiers for me over the years.) When we got the amp back I immediately installed it but it was still faulty. I contacted Haas about having the faulty amp repaired but their response was, "This has electrical cards that are interconnected that, if repaired, can bypass safety features and short the servos."

I'm not sure I believe this. Has any other Haas user been successful having Haas Servo Amplifiers repaired?

Please advise,

Grampsta2.0
    I doubt that your repair guy even took it apart as if you don't know how, you can't remove the board from the metal case, there are some component's that have to be unsoldered before you can remove the board to repair them

Mactec54

Mactec54,

My guy has 20+ years as an electronic tech repairing drives, plc's, and machinery electronic components of every sort. He's honorable to a fault and I have learned to trust him implicitly. I'm confident he inspected and tested it as best he could without a simulator or Haas machine at his disposal.

We'll probably purchase another from Haas, but I was curious if any other Haas-users had a faulty amplifier repaired successfully.

Thanks,.

Grampsta2.0

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Grampsta View Post
    Mactec54,

My guy has 20+ years as an electronic tech repairing drives, plc's, and machinery electronic components of every sort. He's honorable to a fault and I have learned to trust him implicitly. I'm confident he inspected and tested it as best he could without a simulator or Haas machine at his disposal.

We'll probably purchase another from Haas, but I was curious if any other Haas-users had a faulty amplifier repaired successfully.

Thanks,.

Grampsta2.0
    Testing you could do yourself, if it had no lights on then the Low voltage side of the drive has failed you can also test the high voltage side as well and Haas has a procedure for you to do this just need a good meter

If Drive had no lights, it most likely is just the low voltage circuits that have a damaged component

I doubt that your electronic guy removed the Board from the metal case as it is quite a job, if he had of, he would have been able to repair the Board there is only (1) Board in the metal case

So, you can't repair it unless the Board is removed, from the metal case, you could do some tests but no repairs

Mactec54