Haas DT1 spindle drawbar

Thread: Haas DT1 spindle drawbar

Default Haas DT1 spindle drawbar

Greeting Haas users,

New (Haas) user / maintenance dude here...

We have a '17-vintage Haas DT1 that has developed a poor finishing problem. The problem first showed up as poor finish and lots of noise with an endmill. Inspection showed a slight looseness of that tool in the spindle. We checked the drawbar force with a force gage and found
    ZERO lbs.of force. (My keen, analytical mind said to myself, "Self, this is not good...) I took a sacrificial retention knob and cut approx. .010" from the face that gets tightened against the toolholder. When the test knob was installed on the force gage it read "1150 lbs of force". This is very good according to the range of force the drawbar should be generating. (30-taper, 10K spindle : 920 - 1420 lbs of force.)

Haas tells me that the drawbar assembly is "sweated" together and cannot be disassembled to replace the belleville spring washers. (These have apparently "sacked" and / or broken causing the loss of drawbar force.)

Question: "Is this true?" Haas says the spindle cartridge must be replaced. (i.e."Have any of you Haas end-users disassembled and replaced the bellevilles ?)

I'm asking because they said the same thing about replacing the spindle encoder support bearing. We removed the spindle encoder and replaced the bearing for $12, not $6500 for a new spindle cartridge.

Thanks in advance for knowledgeable opinions.

Grampsta